Simcoe whities report May 13

After a short advance notice last night me, my son and JohnyBass went to check on the whities today.

15 seconds after dropping my lure down bammm the first whities was hooked and shortly after inside the live well.

Great weather, great fishing and we simply loved it out there today....even work day there were lots of boats...one guy kept coming onto us (as close as 5 meters away) obviously thinking all fish on Simcoe is under our boat.

Williams hammered half/half did the most damage but Meegs did very well as well.

My son kept getting fish after fish...lost most of them but managed to keep couple of them all the way to the live well.

JohnyBass got his first whities so ALL were happy campers today...back home at Noon.

55 to 65 fow....fishfinder screen was loaded with fish...

Here are few pictures of the action today.

My 3 year old son fighting his first whities (after loosing 3-4 before this one). Boat pictures taken with my cell phone - sorry for the poor quality but I love those images:

Image019.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

And fighting his second one at the back of the boat:

Image023.jpg

And the result of our hard work today brought home:

IMGA2536.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

What did you use to catch these whities?

I understand that whities are deep fish...how do you catch these guys? Deep jigging? trolling? how deep? what lures do these guys like?

if u can help plz thankyou

- Pachone

Edited by Pachone

What did you use to catch these whities?

I understand that whities are deep fish...how do you catch these guys? Deep jigging? trolling? how deep? what lures do these guys like?

if u can help plz thankyou

- Pachone

They are deep ...as I said 55-65 fow today. Jig for them which requires solid anchor. Use Williams Ice jigging spoon in half gold/half silver hammered or Meegs lure and you should do well right now.

Nice catch.

But, what are you doing. Their Salmon to be caught

Ha ha ha well good question....I might changet direction later this week Bud....hear Salmon is coming my way so I've got to go check it out...you'll be the first to know :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Great report. Looks like it was a beautiful day to be out there.

Doncha just hate the people who must fish right next to you in a big open body of water. Wonder if there's any proper ettiquette to pollitely tell them to piss off :lol:

Nice fish.

Joey

Guest Johnny Bass

Yep. Couldn't have asked for a better day. Clear skies, no wind.

We were out on the water by about 7:45-8:15

The first 1/2 hour to an hour I got NIL! I was starting to get frustrated. Everyone around me were catching fish. I started watching other boats and tried to do the same. Still nothing. I was alternating between a meegs($7.00!!!!)and a silver thinfish with no luck. I switched back to the meegs and found a new technique. Finally got one. And I was happy. And after that it was pretty easy. I was catching them steady, but I have to refine my technique but It certainly has potential.

So from 1/2 hour to an hour I was catching them consistently. Unfortunately as soon as the fishing was getting hot. We had to leave. Icefisherman had an appointment to go to. So we left around 9:30-10:00.

The spoon hands down outperformed the meegs. The little guy was getting hit after hit after hit. :blink:

And icefisherman had one on after about 15 seconds as soon as we arrived.

Anyways had a great day, caught my first whitie, met another OFC'er and had a blast. Now its the taste test. Barbequed one little fillet and it was good but now its time for the fish crisp!!!

Thanks to Emil for taking me out and helping me catch my first whitie!

oh and Emil? I made it back in time for Pizza Nova! :thumbsup_anim:

And one more question. Some hook sets were just outside the mouth. Some people say you have to hook them right in the mouth and others say you can hook them anywhere in front of the gill plate. Is that true?

And one more question. Some hook sets were just outside the mouth. Some people say you have to hook them right in the mouth and others say you can hook them anywhere in front of the gill plate. Is that true?

You TELL ME.

PLEASE. Thats a crazy question. In the mouth and thats all. Anywheres else, is "A" snagged fish.

Guest Johnny Bass
You TELL ME.

PLEASE. Thats a crazy question. In the mouth and thats all. Anywheres else, is "A" snagged fish.

I tell you? I'm ASKING! :rolleyes:

Apparently, many people I have spoken to have a difference of opinion. So I dont think its a crazy question.

Good job Emil, I told you we should have went there Saturday!

How did the two anchors work for you?

-Brian

Well Brian we should have....even better you should have came with me when I asked you on Sunday :wallbash:

But hey it's never late to fix this ;-)

The front anchor rope was too short for where we fished today, so I only used the new Danforth one and it worked grate as it was ZERO wind today.

We've got to talk...Salmon is wating for us....close by....

P.S. All fish landed today with my old net....enough said there right? :Gonefishing::clapping::wallbash::thumbsup_anim:

P.S. 2 Are you on strike tonight ?;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman