Keep Those Owl Pictures Coming...

pameladallaire

Everyone with cameras please point them at any owls you see. :D

I'm going to be doing paintings for The Owl Foundation in Ontario.

It is the rescue and release center for Ontario owls. It also breeds the native species of owls and trains them to be self-sufficient, and then flys them to their normal breeding areas around ontaro. I think a great cause.

So lots of pictures would be useful for me. Full body shots or close up head shots.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup_anim:

Pam

I have a bunch of great ones from when the Great Grey Owls came down the other year due to the lack of Voles up north.

they werent shy either. Great Greys are definatley my favorite owl.

gonna go find the pics.

cant find them.

must be on a cd somewhere

cant find them.

must be on a cd somewhere

Edited by Grimace

Very cool Pam.

If you ever fish down by the railroad bridge at the back of Jordan Harbour, you can see the owl cages on the Owl Lady's (Kate McKiver's) property. I've always kept my distance and observed through binoculars 'cause I know she doesn't want any human interfence. They have had a few TV specials on her in the past.

I consider myself lucky if I see a wild Owl every 5 years or so. I'm not sure if you're interested in captive Owls Pam, but if you are, here's one from our local zoo that I took last summer. Complete with a chain link fence frame. There's some nice detail in the shot. Ron will supply you with what you need I'm sure.

Chipzoo1.jpg

ok heres my submittions. Kinda Grainy but then again I'm still trying to figure out this digital. I had to use ISO 400 cause it was just too dark and the flash would have ruin the pic and caused a white out. :rolleyes:

picture046.jpg

picture047.jpg

picture048.jpg

picture050.jpg

picture051.jpg

picture052.jpg

picture053.jpg

3 more to be added.

dsn

ok here's the other three. This guy seems to hate his picture taking. I noticed that with the monkeys too when I was at the zoo. I go straight up to the glass and just as I get ready to snap the shot they quickly turn away. <_< . So I go over to the other side where they are facing and get ready to snap the shot. They turn back to the other side where I started from. :( So I try again at the side I started from again. Finally got the image focused and just as the finger goes down to take the shot... guest what happends? :unsure: Yep they turn to the other side again.

:blink: So in order for me to take these shots I had to run from one side and fake the shot and quickly run back to the other side and snap the pic quickly. :D Are they photo shy or they hate their pictures taken? But they sure know what seems to take place when some sticks something up to the glass.

picture087.jpg

picture088.jpg

picture089.jpg

I had to do some exercise for you Pam.They made me sweat for them :lol:

dsn

Thought I'd put my post in here, so all the owl post/images are together..

Justin

Hello All,

Made the trek over to Amherst Island (just west of Kingston at the town of Millhaven) with the folks to do some owl and raptor watching. Spotted 9 red-tail hawks on the drive down the 401, so spirits were high.

Jumped on the ferry at 9:30am for the 15 minute crossing over to the island.

Started driving the north-east loop of the island, spotting numerous hawks along the way. Made our way down to the southern shore, when my mother pointed out a bird that was flying to the left of our car right along the shore. Before I could make visual contact, she stated it was only a seagull. I finally spotted it 5o feet ahead of us, and knew by the size and shape that we had our first snowy owl sighting for the day! To make things even more exciting, it landed on a fence post a mere 200 feet away!!

Got the camera ready with my 300mm telephoto, and began shooting out the side window. Every so often, I would creep the car forward, eventually getting less than 20 feet from it!

Here's some closeups of this female snowy..

Snowy4.jpg

Snowy3.jpg

Snowy2.jpg

At this point, a car had pulled up a distance behind, and was waiting patiently to pass. We decided to drive right past the owl, and park further down on the shoulder. The other fella got out of his car and starting taking shots, and we did the same.

Snowy7.jpg

At this point, I had the camera trained on the owl and was just about to press the shutter button, when the girl got spooked and flew up. The amazing thing is that the owl flew directly at me! I really love this next shot - not 100% in focus, but not bad to say I wasn't ready for a motion shot..

Snowy1.jpg

After this bird flew off, we spotted a male hunkered down in the brush a mere 100 yards from this girl. The one was pure white, but was too far away for a decent shot.

We decided to stop for lunch at this point, then hike in to Owl Woods. This is a neat area of trees that houses quite a few species of owls, although the most common is the Long Eared. After a lengthy hike, we make our way into the woods.

Within 30 seconds, I'm greeted by this fella..

Snowy6.jpg

We saw 25+ of these Long Eared in the woods! At one point, I witnessed four of the birds perched on one branch together...It's tough to get a decent shot in here, because there is so many twigs and branches on the trees. Also, the sky was pretty washed out and it was fairly dark under the canopy. Nonetheless, a couple turned out ok..

Snowy5.jpg

Headed back into the car, and began the western loop. Many, many raptors, including red-tailed, Merlin, Kestral, Northern Harrier etc... Conservative figures would put the raptor count at around 30+

So, a pleasant four hours spent on Amherst. Grabbed the 3pm ferry back to the mainland, and back to civilization.. :blush:

Good Fishing,

Justin