Fishing Report: Costa Rica

Just got back from a family holiday in costa Rica. Quite a surprise to me (wink wink) that the area we stayed is close to some prime tarpon waters near the Rio Sixola.

Couldn't afford a charter so I consulted many boards like this (thanks) and brought a rig with me. Hired a local with a canoe and went looking for fish.

It was still and hot, nice, since the canoe is only a 12 footer, but the fishing was slow. Started looking for bait, caught a small jack & lip hooked it and let him swim away,

1/2 hour later a poon rolled near us, I waited, he grabbed it, the hook bit and we were of on a 1 hour sleigh ride.

Unbelievable action, runs, jumps, arm wrenching power of these fish is unbelievable.

Here are some picks.

Waiting

P1030580.jpg

Got a nibble

P1030582.jpg

First look

P1030584.jpg

Come to papa

P1030586.jpg

Thats a high as I could lift him

P1030590.jpg

P1030591.jpg

Saying goodbye

HeadShot.jpg

I reckon him in the 100lbs region.

Caught on a Ugly Stik BWS 1100 , Okuma Baitrunner, spooled with 20lbs powerpro, to a 65lbs floro leader with a #7 Gamatsu Octopus hook on the business end.

Thanks to the guys at Tightlines Fishermans Warehouse for stocking and selling me the stuff I needed. Buy local!

I think this rig will work great on my kayak, hunting pike in Toronto Harbour

Cheers

Hairywater

Did not see any sharks down there, spent a fair bit of time on the water in a kayak trolling.

Jumped a few smaller ones on Rapala's, but without the circle hook, its pretty tough to hit the sweet spot in their mouths with big trebles.

Wish I had brought a fly rod, there is this lagoon........

I wish it was less windy, I had my 10 weight but do not think it would of been big enough...

you got it right about the circle hooks, I have used them before but am a real fan now.

You did it the right way with the locals man... way better feeling then forking over the big cash