Florida Keys report ( Now with Pics!)

Crazyhook

I see a huge volkswagon sized spotted eagle ray ( the kind that killed a lady in the keys a few weeks back). Behind the ray was a huge cobia. Cobia are great fighters and amazing eating. I had a bucktail on and tried to get the cobia to bite... well I snag the eagle ray in the wing and the fight is on. There was 3 kayakers watcing the fight from a distance . The ray bolts towards them getting closer and closer. About a kayak length away it jumps 8 feet of of the water right beside the lady's kayak... I have never seen 3 people paddle so fast.

What a great story! I'm smiling now as I re-imagine it!

Holding up those huge reels...the only thing I can relate it to would be Sturgeon fishing in BC. Were there any long drawn out battles where they fought like bulldogs...was it a totally exhausting fish?...or was it simply repeated bursts of super activity and acrobatics, followed by an easy reel of a spent fish? Lots and lots of frayed 100 pound fluro, I can't even picture it...even the size of these fish are mind boggling....

Edited by scuro

crazzyhook............... :o

that an hell off a great report bud..

nice to see you got some great action down there

and some paddling in the oceans yaaaaaaa

you up for some paddling this friday..?

thanks for sharing those picts and report.

joco

Dude I have to work on Friday... trying to figure out what my new ride is going to be this year.. we will get out soon bud!

Scuro... fights were nuts. Long runs, jumps and when you think they are done they breath air and it starts all over again. 4 fights went over half an hour... one fish jumped 10 times and another one almost had 300 yards out...

Unreal! The reels you used are massive. Kinda makes you think twice before skinny dipping with cudas and sharks swimming about.

That's one trip I wanna do before I die

Great report CH...Love the pics

We went through loads of 80 and 100 pound fluro...

Jamie, every report I ever read about huge tarpon talks about them wearing thru the fluoro with their rough mouths, so is there any reason nobody ever seems to use wire leaders ??

I also watch that Pro Tarpon show on the tube the odd time and they lose quite a few in the same way it seems :dunno:

Jamie, every report I ever read about huge tarpon talks about them wearing thru the fluoro with their rough mouths, so is there any reason nobody ever seems to use wire leaders ??

I also watch that Pro Tarpon show on the tube the odd time and they lose quite a few in the same way it seems :dunno:

Lew, I tried with wire and the answer is simple, they don't eat. The thinner the leader the more bites you get and the more break offs as well.... I kept the leader of the big boy and its frayed all the way up.

Their mouths are rock hard and the line rubbing on the side of the fluro really wears it down...

One special fish!

Have to say, I have been home 3 days I am still one hurting unit