The second half of our opener + Michelle's first spring steelhead

Casey123

As many of you know, opener was a big disappointment for Michelle and I. The fishing was great, it was the many people we saw abusing our resources and break the law that really bothered us.

On Sunday we headed to another spot, a little closer to home this time. We had a beautiful strech of river all to ourselves.

The water was running closer to seasonal norms and the water was gin clear.

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0457.jpg

DSCF0456.jpg

The first pool produced no fish, although we could see a few sitting on the limestone bottom. After about 20 minutes we headed upstream to the next pool. This one was deeper and the bottom was dark black. Michelle made the first cast and this beautiful hen came out of the black and hammered her pink rooster tail.

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

DSCF0472.jpg

We continued up stream to a few more pools. The riverbank was alive with wild flowers and animal tracks were everywhere.

DSCF0478.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

DSCF0458.jpg

I managed a few beautiful specs and a rainbow smolt:

DSCF0467.jpg

It was a beautiful way to end the weekend.

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0462.jpg

Great stuff folks ! Seeing trout pics with some background reminds me of why I loved stream fishing back in the 80's. Can we get back to cropped backgrounds so I don't have to buy some more gear..... :D

Edited by irishfield

What a great report! Congrats to Michelle on her first of the season....a great looking fish for sure! Good to see you stopped to take in the scenery and took the time to take some pics to share. Thanks....great job out there!

May I ask where abouts you two went fishing? Looks like a great spot.

In the river, you know the one in the picture!

:thumbsup_anim:

Sorry bud, Michelle and I have spent a lot of time finding secluded river streaches with in a few hours of home, we are not giving them up that easily.

I might suggest you get a backroad book and hit al the streams between Hamilton and Tobermory. There are some beautiful streches of rivers.

In the river, you know the one in the picture!

:thumbsup_anim:

Sorry bud, Michelle and I have spent a lot of time finding secluded river streaches with in a few hours of home, we are not giving them up that easily.

I might suggest you get a backroad book and hit al the streams between Hamilton and Tobermory. There are some beautiful streches of rivers.

haha. thats understandable my friend. I may be checking out 16 Mile Creek tomorrow.

May I ask where abouts you two went fishing? Looks like a great spot.

Do you really think that they will tell you where they were fishing? :lol:

Nope.

That's why they put up a fishing report with the background still visible. So you can guess. And ask. And ask again.

:wallbash: