What would you do?

johnnyb

Okay here's the situation:

I was fishing for trout on a stream that is a no-kill, no-keep, no organic bait, single-barbless hook zone. Not only is it in the regs, but, there's a nice big sign that spells it out for you posted right at the creek.

Couple of guys walk by, rod in one hand, box of worms in the other. I asked them how they're doing, and mention that worms are not allowed on this section of river( I also mentioned the single barbless hook reg as wel). They seemed to be genuinely surprised, and concerned as well. I pointed out the sign that was 20 feet away...they went and read it, and, I jokingly said "it would be pretty bad if you got busted 20 feet from the sign -- have a good one". I also happened to be leaving at that moment, so, away I walked to the truck. I happened to notice that the two guys continued down the river.

As I drove away, I wondered to myself whether or not I should call the MNR tips line. I mean, it was clear that they were now aware of the regs. But on the other hand, they may have been aware in the first place, and didn't care anyway.

What would YOU do? Leave it at that, or leave it in the hands of the MNR? Is it worth calling in? :dunno:

Deposit your $0.02 here :)

I would think the fact they went back and read the sign would indicate to me they were not regulars on that stretch of water... But someone new to the waterbody... All you can do is hope they did the right thing after your suggestions and them reading the sign..

Unless you have proof they were fishing in an illegal manner... I would leave it alone... CO's need to be made available for those that are proven poachers etc..

my $0.02

G

You don't know if they were heading down to the river to just check it out or to fish. I know that were it me in that situation, I'd still want to scout the river since I was already there anyway.

No need to snitch until they actually did something wrong.

For me, I'd hate it if a CO came and charged me for just looking at a river because someone ratted me out without any proof.

I' would have stuck around, If I could that is... I also like to take lic. # and if I see the same guys do it after a warning I will call regardless... I regularly fish a No Kill, Single barbless, no bait river and have seen it all there, from roe, to worms to keeping trout and even ducks... its tough to get the ministry there but you have to try, again, Pics and Lic plates help alot

Report them, we all have a responsiblity to know the regs for the water we fish.

'tis true but I'd rather the CO getting a guy who's keeping over his limit in a no kill than making a $50 fine for not breaking a barb. I think it all depends on circumstances and you have to make the considerations you're self

They hadn't done anything wrong. When I fish a creek, I may have worms and roe with me. If you had approached me and directed me to the sign, and I went over to read it, I would have still fished.....I always have an assortment of jigs and flys...as well as pliers to pinch the barbs.

The fact that they were surprised and seemed concerned, and the fact that you didn't witness anything wrong leads me to say to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Report them, we all have a responsiblity to know the regs for the water we fish.

There's nothing to report. He didn't see them fishing. That's why he should have waited 2 minutes before taking off in his truck.

And as was just pointed out, they may have decided to use barbless lures instead.

Edited by jonnybass

There's nothing to report. He didn't see them fishing. That's why he should have waited 2 minutes before taking off in his truck.

And as was just pointed out, they may have decided to use barbless lures instead.

Generally just having the worms there is against the law If I remember correctly...

Generally just having the worms there is against the law If I remember correctly...

I've never heard of that law. But a CO could determine that because you have the worms, you were probably using them and charge you on that basis. That's why I wouldn't call the MNR in this situation unless I knew that they were a) fishing and b ) using barbed hooks and/or bait.

Edited by jonnybass

I am not sure what the "tips line" does. I mean would you have called and left a description "two non OFC-ers with a box of worms" or asked them for their names so you could report them?

Does the MNR have a donut shop full of officers waiting to spring into action over crimes such as this?

You did your bit; you made them aware of a situation that you knew about that they did not. And, you fished by the rules, so you can sleep tonight.

I think that it ends there.

I've never heard of that law. But a CO could determine that because you have the worms, you were probably using them and charge you on that basis. That's why I wouldn't call the MNR in this situation unless I knew that they were a) fishing and b ) using barbed hooks and/or bait.

I think it would all be better left up to a CO to decide if they were doing anything wrong!... those are all my fish and I spend 30 hours a week hand feeding them!!! :angry: and just the idea of some low-life coming in and stealing them with organic baits is more than I can stand!!!... if they'd had marshmallows, I'd have bashed their nadz in and shot them on the spot!!!

Sounds like you did your part by making them aware of the situation in a polite manner. In return they responded the same way it seems. It is very possible that they still fished, but changed their plan of attack to meet the requirements.

It's kind of like the situaion I was in a couple of weeks back. I was fishing in my bass boat, using my bass rod. On the deck of my boat I had my pliers, cutters, etc. that I always have. Bass season is closed. I was fishing perch, with perch gear (somewhat) I do not own a perch boat or rod, nor do I want to. Had a guy approach me and accuse me of bass fishing. I made it clear that I was not on bass turf and pointed to where it was. I also pointed out that the tools were there just in case. I would much rather be prepared to release an oo fish, than be scrounging for stuff to make do. In the end the only thing I caught was zebra mussels.

Sounds like you did your part by making them aware of the situation in a polite manner. In return they responded the same way it seems. It is very possible that they still fished, but changed their plan of attack to meet the requirements.

It's kind of like the situaion I was in a couple of weeks back. I was fishing in my bass boat, using my bass rod. On the deck of my boat I had my pliers, cutters, etc. that I always have. Bass season is closed. I was fishing perch, with perch gear (somewhat) I do not own a perch boat or rod, nor do I want to. Had a guy approach me and accuse me of bass fishing. I made it clear that I was not on bass turf and pointed to where it was. I also pointed out that the tools were there just in case. I would much rather be prepared to release an oo fish, than be scrounging for stuff to make do. In the end the only thing I caught was zebra mussels.

That's probably because a gosh darn local ratted ya out. They seen a bass boat and they don't like them there boats in those parts so they recon'd they'd call the law on yer. Teach yas a lesson.

It wasn't the MNR, it was just some guy in another boat. Most of the locals are familiar with my boat, as I don't go far from home. They also know me through the business, and talk all the time. I try and get them out, but no luck so far. They know I respect the rules 100%. My boat is also just a wanna be bass boat (just makes me feel good calling it that) It's a Lowe Stinger 170 w/ 50 rude.

Im assuming your locale to the Credit means this was on the lower access point, to the no kill zone. Its nothing new in that locale to see anglers disobey a very obvious posting. Good for you on mentioning to them to read the sign, as after that pretty much only calling the CO directly would have had an impact.

Even with visable signage, someone telling them its a no kill, they still choose to break a law, again just goes to solidify a point that even with some education and knowledge they still choose to potentially go fish and break a law..

Good for you...if you run into that again I can PM you my cell number and I can call our Local CO directly on his cell..

Again good on you for trying to educate them

Well, I have to say that my initial thought was "I don't want to be a snitch -- I told them, they acted concerned and they read the sign...that's good enough". But after that, as I noticed them walking down the river (around the bend and out of view, so, watching for a couple extra minutes would have meant following them, which I thought would be akin to grabbing their worms and throwing them in the river), I started to wonder. I decided that the rules are the rules, but certainly not up to me to enforce, so I made the call.

I ended up talking to a guy in the Soo, who took down all the info, ***and I made a point of telling him *** I didn't SEE these guys fishing with worms, just felt that I should report it, and I had NO PROOF that they were doing anything illegal***.

I doubt very much that a CO was even sent over there, but, on the off chance that one happened to be in the area, maybe he/she(?) would have checked it out. And if those guys were caught using worms, they can't say they weren't warned or ignorant of the rules. so, I'm glad I called, because if I didn't, it would have bugged me all day long.

I think everyone's input has been really insightful, btw, and pretty much everything you said went through my mind ('cept that bit about bashing in their nadz!). In the end, it was just a gut feeling that wouldn't go away.