Stradic Cleaning

muskymike

Well at 8 PM i embarked on cleaning my Stradic. I have never cleaned a reel before, and with Goteeboys post a few weeks back I went out and bought some Oil and Grease and dug in. 3 Hours to do my first reel. Yes long, but now I know what they are all about and could probably do it in an hour. I had no idea how it was put together or where the grease should go, but with Gotee's post, it was like learning to ride a bike.

The only thing I screwed up on was I Greased instead of Oiled the Anti-Reverse Mechanism. After assembling I noticed it was slipping. I took it back apart cleaned the grease off, a few drops of Oil and shes better then new.

here are some pics of my 3 Hour Tour.

Stradic001.jpg

Stradic004.jpg

Stradic007.jpg

Stradic009.jpg

Stradic012.jpg

Stradic015.jpg

Stradic017.jpg

Stradic027.jpg

Stradic029.jpg

Stradic039.jpg

Stradic042.jpg

Stradic044.jpg

Stradic049.jpg

Stradic051.jpg

Tomorrow Night, another reel.........wish me luck

muskymike what do you use your 4000 to fish for? I love the stradics mine go up to the 8000. They just switched the stradics this year i believe. Don`t know if i would have the nerve to pull mine apart SOOOO many parts from your pic`s good job!

MuskyHart, my stradic is an all purpose. i was given it as a gift a few years back and my girlfriend didnt know what size to buy so she bought me that. its mainly my pike spinning reel. its too big for anything else, although i can use it for that. I am pretty much all baitcasters now but i still have all my spinning reels so why not use them right hahah

It honestly wasnt that hard though, time consuming, taking pics and making sure you dont miss parts, or forget to oil/grease a part.

Clamp-it, not sure. as soon as i cleaned off the grease though it worked properly. I dindt take pics of when it was fully apart and the housing was cleaned, although it would have been useful as i have no idea what all the parts are called.

great job.

i feel like a proud parent, hehe.

I was surprised at how large the main gear is in the stradic. it literally fills up the whole inside.

it must have felt so good to clean off all the old grease/grit/sand. i felt the joy in spirit.

so, tell us, is she as good as new, if not better than when new?

and did you take apart the whole antireverse piece? that i've never done. i just clean it up w/ a paper towel.

let us know if you came up w/ any "tips" to make the job easier.

again, great job

goteeboy

Oh yeah, cleaning reels is tons of fun!! Last week I cleaned my first fishing reel, my 30 year old Shakespeare that had 30 year old grease inside of it that was hard as a rock. After that exercise, I figure I'll take my reels in for service every few years (I don't spend as much time as I would like out on the water) and any light lube I can do myself.

Thanks for taking the time for posting this. I also have a Stradic albeit an older model. I now know that my mechanically challenged @ss stands no chance in opening it up and greasing it. There are so many parts...Knowing myself, I'll probably put something in backwards or leave something out...Off to Aikman's I go!

Fly reels and centrepins are as far as I go...Only one screw involved :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by MJL

• 3 weeks later...
great job.

i feel like a proud parent, hehe.

I was surprised at how large the main gear is in the stradic. it literally fills up the whole inside.

it must have felt so good to clean off all the old grease/grit/sand. i felt the joy in spirit.

so, tell us, is she as good as new, if not better than when new?

and did you take apart the whole antireverse piece? that i've never done. i just clean it up w/ a paper towel.

let us know if you came up w/ any "tips" to make the job easier.

again, great job

goteeboy

It felt so good to get all the dirt off, once clean it looked so good. it was like a new reel.

My only errors were, I forgot to put that little pink plastic piece back in the first go around and I over Greased. I wish i wouldnt have taken the Anti-reverse apart. it was completely by error. I didnt realize the black screw was the holding screw until it was too late.

i dabbed and re-oiled the fiber washer in it and cleaned up what i could see. i didnt want to touch the barrels or springs. Put it back together and prayed it worked. it did.

the only tip i have is PICTURES. They saved me. If i didnt have them, even with the exploded schematic, I dont know if I would have got it back to square one. Now that I have done 2 of them, I think I could do it without them though.

Gottee, Thanks for the tips, and the pictures, the motivation and the help. Couldn't have done it without your post.

Mike