Using marshmallows to catch steelhead....

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

To do penance, I did spend two hours cleaning and sprucing up all my fishing gears with painstaking devotion. :angel:

:thumbsup_anim: ROFL! That made me laugh!

It seems somehow linked to those two chaps who haven't seen the bush for sometime and who've been directed to look for a beaver dam. There are always lots of marshmallow-eating trout at beaver dams. They even take a chunk of wiener.

Hey if I float a wiener at the end of my rig will I also catch salmon? At the beaver dam?

Or, no. Egads. I'm confused now. I think I'll go spruce up my gear.... my fishing stuff, you know.

p.-

floating your wiener around a beaver lodge will more than likely catch you something......just not sure what?!?!

Could be something beautiful, or something nasty; either way, it's a risky business.

This thread has definitely picked up a life of its own. LOL.

The purpose to a marshmellow is to raise the hook off bottom.

Salmon and Rainbows when in a river face up stream and open and shut thier mouth to pass water and O2 over the gills to breath. What the marshmellow rig does is take advantage of this life process and allow the line to pass through its mouth, tension is felt and an angler ( I use that word loosely) sets the hook.

Regardless of its sale it is beyond immoral and in fact is illegal...You run the potential of being charged....

Hope that answers you question and I think a moderator should lock and delete this thread

I haven't met Aniceguy yet, but I know about his good work (and have sampled some of it, thanks!) with the CRAA. As Solopaddler hinted, the above is where this whole thing went wrong, then actually very ridiculous and finally ridiculously funny.

Yes, they go for marshmallows, yes they will rise for something that you drop on the surface of a pool or pond, and all of that is true. But Aniceguy is 100% right when he calls the "marshmallow rig," "lining." I've perfected the technique, so I should know.

Basically, if you fish for salmon in slack water, off a pier, in an estuary (river mouth) - i.e. anywhere that there is not enough current to push your bait around - you are probably lining most of your fish:

1) rod-------------------sinker----------------------------marshmallow

2) rod-------------------marshmallow--------------------sinker

This is not to say that you're immoral or a bad person who also steals cans of Red Bull from Mac's Milk, or let "one" rip and blame it on a 2 year old (which actually I've been accused of doing.... I'M INNOCENT!!!! INNOCENT, I SAY!... sister in law thinks she's Matlock) You probably think that they're biting. And maybe the odd one is, but most are not. You don't normally catch any other species when doing this do you? 99% are salmon, yes?

In the above equation, when you are out in late September getting salmon at Bronte or Credit, or whatever pier or estuary you are getting them from, try the following baits: cigarette butt; worm ; gummy bear; piece of cloth; cut-out picture of Dalton McGinty from the newspaper etc... ad nauseum. I guarantee you that if the marshmallows were working, then all of these other things will work too.

Oddly enough, I don't really have a problem with this technique myself when it concerns Chinook Salmon. They are so heavily stocked in the Great Lakes, and most of them are put-and-take (not all, I know). If people are catching steelhead this way, that's a different kettle of fish. Most Ontario tribs have 100% wild populations of Steelhead, and catching them this way IMO isn't fair to them.

I only mention all of this because I am a total, utter, elitist Steelheader snob. In fact, I pick my nose at you and &*^% in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Now if you'll excuse me, I will be having my tea, along with caviar, melba toast, pâté de foie gras and a discreet dab of grey poupon.

"GREY POUPON!"

"FETCHEZ LA VACHE!"

p.-

Whats your secret?

The beavers around my place seem to AVOID taking wieners as best they can! :lol:

Maybe the beavers around your place are looking for something bigger.

ACK...I didn't just say that did I? Was that my outside voice????

You did walk into that one though Stoty... :lol:

Whats your secret?

The beavers around my place seem to AVOID taking wieners as best they can! :lol:

LOL. Those things are beyond our capability to understand. They're just a totally different kind of creature. Mysterious. Beguiling.

Darn! I got yard work to do! See you later, boys!

:)

p.-

I haven't met Aniceguy yet, but I know about his good work (and have sampled some of it, thanks!) with the CRAA. As Solopaddler hinted, the above is where this whole thing went wrong, then actually very ridiculous and finally ridiculously funny.

Yes, they go for marshmallows, yes they will rise for something that you drop on the surface of a pool or pond, and all of that is true. But Aniceguy is 100% right when he calls the "marshmallow rig," "lining." I've perfected the technique, so I should know.

Basically, if you fish for salmon in slack water, off a pier, in an estuary (river mouth) - i.e. anywhere that there is not enough current to push your bait around - you are probably lining most of your fish:

1) rod-------------------sinker----------------------------marshmallow

2) rod-------------------marshmallow--------------------sinker

This is not to say that you're immoral or a bad person who also steals cans of Red Bull from Mac's Milk, or let "one" rip and blame it on a 2 year old (which actually I've been accused of doing.... I'M INNOCENT!!!! INNOCENT, I SAY!... sister in law thinks she's Matlock) You probably think that they're biting. And maybe the odd one is, but most are not. You don't normally catch any other species when doing this do you? 99% are salmon, yes?

In the above equation, when you are out in late September getting salmon at Bronte or Credit, or whatever pier or estuary you are getting them from, try the following baits: cigarette butt; worm ; gummy bear; piece of cloth; cut-out picture of Dalton McGinty from the newspaper etc... ad nauseum. I guarantee you that if the marshmallows were working, then all of these other things will work too.

Oddly enough, I don't really have a problem with this technique myself when it concerns Chinook Salmon. They are so heavily stocked in the Great Lakes, and most of them are put-and-take (not all, I know). If people are catching steelhead this way, that's a different kettle of fish. Most Ontario tribs have 100% wild populations of Steelhead, and catching them this way IMO isn't fair to them.

I only mention all of this because I am a total, utter, elitist Steelheader snob. In fact, I pick my nose at you and &*^% in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Now if you'll excuse me, I will be having my tea, along with caviar, melba toast, pâté de foie gras and a discreet dab of grey poupon.

"GREY POUPON!"

"FETCHEZ LA VACHE!"

p.-

How do I do this in flowing water, like tributaries? What about doing a modified drop shot rig with a heavy weight to stabilize it just off bottom?

paulus I say NITTTTT NITTTT to you ,no more fishing untill I get my shrubbery.

I lined a beaver one night lost a good rappalla , I was fishing at night beside a beaver dam set the hook and before I knew I had a beaver on , it went inside the lodge and I cut the line lol fuuny thing tho who knows maybe he did hit it lol I didnt see if I had hooked him near the mouth but im sure I lined him /her it .

Note sure what to think.... or how many times I've been insulted here. :rolleyes:

I use to fish under the Bronte Creek bridge .. pre '85 with Kraft Mello's. So I'm a snagger, an unethical fisherman and using illegal bait.

Funny thing is... my mellow was down this buggers throat.. hook is probably still in there...

sept8.jpg

Oh.. and I speared a beaver last night as well... am I in trouble for that too?

Edited by irishfield