Worst fishing Reel

holdfast

I would say it was a Shimano AX ultra Lite reel that I bought a few years back. You would barely touch the drag adjustment and it went from free spool to sticking. My second would be my Spidercast reel. The line would actually make groove just above the roller on the plastic or Graphite Bail housing whatever they call it.

Geeze Cliff...I got at least 50 years service out of my old Mitchell 300 before I retired it...Didn't matter how much grease /oil you gave it it still sounded like a coffee grinder when being reeled...LOL

That was a Mitchell 300X I was using last week for catching suckers...

Edited by Beans

Well, I'm sure that I'll catch some heat for this, but my Okuma Convector reels are by far the worst experince I've ever had with a reel!

HH

No reason at all why you'd catch heat for your opinion, Joe.

I have to say worst reel for the money to me was a Mitchell 300X GOLD bought it on sale for 33.94 at LB's..... I should have plunked down the extra 20.00 and bought another Pfleuger President but I cheaped out. My shoulders and arms have made me pay the price ever since. I can cast and retrieve the Presidents all day. After chucking spoons for an hour or more using the Mitchell I have done all the working out I want or need. 10 ball bearings same as a Pfleuger my butt.... In short it is one of those things the Mitchell works and does what it was designed to do, it just doesn't work a 10th as well as the Presidents do....

A close second is the Pflueger Medalist I got horn swaggolled into buying at LB's because it was supposed to be a better reel than the President for the same money.... In a moment of weakness I took the counterman's advice. The medalist is identical to the President except for its all aluminum body (who cares)I have found out I don't. It has a rubber winder handle which I find not nearly as comfortable and steady as the rose wood ones on my Presidents. The biggest problem though is they put some fancy useless piece of glitter on where the bail arm attaches that has a nasty habit of catching the line just when you get a bite so if you set the hook without making sure the line isn't caught there you can't reel in.... It only happens about once every 500 casts but that once is usually critical. Of course it seems to get really nasty and happens a lot more when you are casting in a 45MPH wind but then that is what steelheading is all about so it should work any time you aren't getting blown off the pier in my opinion.

Oh well at some point all the shimanino's (I have 3 brand new Mark II that I will not ever even put on a rod now... I bet they make me 3 or 4 bucks on ebay in 10yrs or so... )and a large supply of vintage Mitchells I have will be replaced with Presidents then life will be good!!!!