Stupid Question: Can I start an electric ignition outboard without batteries?

fishinggeek

Not a stupid question at all Fishinggeek. I know it can be done, but in the years since I've owned a boat, I've never had to do it. Probably be a good idea for me to refresh myself so that in the heat of the battle, I'll know how. Helpful little reminders these questions are .. for someone is is that farthest thing from a boat mechanic as one can get.

Good info provided so far... if for some reason you need to pull start it.. there is usually a tab that needs to be turned in order to open the choke. I know mine is red in colour

also if you have a electric trolling motor on the boat you can also start the engine using that battery if need be...

G

Just make sure you have a spare cord before you head out. I got stuck once and had to pull the one out of my front trolling motor. Both batteries dead, and me floating like an idiot. That was the first time I used the boat. I guess when the marina said the batteries were good to go, they ment on the charger :asshat:

Does this go for EFI engines too?

From the manual and the mercury dealer I was under the impression that the pull cord is only good when the starter is gone. Even after starting a full battery is needed. This sounded REALLY strange/stupid to me but I went along with it.

forrest

Some engines require a battery. I believe the Optimax needs one. You have to be careful with this folks. Check your service manuals. There is a risk of damage to some engine electrical components as well.

Also on old Johnson/ Evinrude with the electric shift they went to forward gear without power. The risk was when rope starting that more than a few guys went overboard.

I had a problem with my Merc 115 4 stroke EFI cutting out for no apparent reason and then suddenly coming back to life. It turned out a bad ground at the battery was the culprit. I had one of those battery quick disconnect units that you unscrew which I bought at the sportsman show installed. When I took it apart, it was all burnt between the plates. Never a problem since removing it but I was surprised the engine wouldn't run without the battery. I guess the new electronics are highly dependant on a good battery. I do wonder how it would run after boosting a dead battery as I wouldn't want to try and pull start this beast.

Good point on the poor connections. Some engines will blow modules with bad connections.

A little anti corrosive on the terminals with self locking stainless steel nuts is a good idea.

O yes, watch out for cheap battery switches.

I have a 55 Suzuki and do a lot of fishing in the evening and until after dark.

According to my manual it can be started manually in an emergency but after reading what was involved I wouldn't want to have to do it! Last year a couple of friends gave me a nice little portable power supply/booster, ever since I got it, I take it in the boat with me, in fact, during fishing season it stays in the boat, doesn't take up much room, fits easily into my storage locker. It can be charged from an AC outlet or a DC source and about once a month I plug it in just to make sure it's topped up.

This thing has plenty of power to start an outboard, in fact I used it to boost a friends big V8 truck last winter. He had to turn off all his accessories mind you but it turned it over and started it in cold weather. I think they got it on special at CTC for about $39.00 bucks and it even has a built in inverter to give you AC if you did need it, it I won't go out in my boat without it any more, day or night, it's part of my safety gear.

Bernie, what do you recomend using for an anti corrosive? I have always just used vasoline, made my connections, then put a little diectric jell over the whole connection. It seems to have worked so far but you can always teach this old dog new tricks!

I think the vaseline would be fine Cliff. Just be careful with dielectrics on connections. The stuff is what it says it is. I never use it on low voltage applications, only on distributor caps and ignition wires. The problem can be that if a dielectric gets between two terminals it can insulate the connection creating high resistance. If I need to join/repair wires I use shrink butt connectors or if it needs to be a male/female connection a coat or two of neoprene over the terminals can create a good protection. What you need to be careful of is if it's a poor seal it can create a worse condition by sealing water in as well so it never dries.

Most good batteries these days are well sealed at the terminals. Those ones that are turning green are usually seeping electrolyte out and causing the corrosion.

Well the first product I rely on is having Cottonelle in the morning. :whistling::D

Sorry Cliff, just popped into my mind. Not sure which product you were referring to.

Di-electric-grease. Cant remember the name of it. But it in a 500 ml tub anyway. Dont use it a lot as most ignition wire sets come with it.

Shrink butt connectors are available at most auto supply stores. They are not cheap but they do the best job.(Dont get the ones with the solder in them)

Neoprene I buy is a tire bead sealer, stays flexible and coats connections. OMC used it for decades.

I can sell just about any brand of battery but my favorite is the Interstate or AC Delco. Both have been great and very low warranty issues.(I hate paperwork)

Edited by Bernie

I have a 55 Suzuki and do a lot of fishing in the evening and until after dark.

According to my manual it can be started manually in an emergency but after reading what was involved I wouldn't want to have to do it! Last year a couple of friends gave me a nice little portable power supply/booster, ever since I got it, I take it in the boat with me, in fact, during fishing season it stays in the boat, doesn't take up much room, fits easily into my storage locker. It can be charged from an AC outlet or a DC source and about once a month I plug it in just to make sure it's topped up.

This thing has plenty of power to start an outboard, in fact I used it to boost a friends big V8 truck last winter. He had to turn off all his accessories mind you but it turned it over and started it in cold weather. I think they got it on special at CTC for about $39.00 bucks and it even has a built in inverter to give you AC if you did need it, it I won't go out in my boat without it any more, day or night, it's part of my safety gear.

that sounds like a great idea. I am going to keep my eyes out for one of those sales.

forrest