Cat's Query

HTHM

I went to Dunville this afternoon and washed some liver in the Grand. I was below the dam at the Dunville BBQ. Presentation was 1 square inch of turkey liver, on a snelled hook with 2 bell 3/8 oz tied 12" up the line from the bait holder.

Rod 10' 6" with a curado baitcaster. (That is a whole other issue.........the eagles have landed more than once in my overruns :wallbash: ) I was able to cast about 25 - 30 feet into the river. I know I should be able to do much more, but that will come with practice.

Weather conditions, overcast and about to rain, 4 - 6 degrees Celcius, water 2 - 3" visibility, fast flow.

I did not have even a nibble, let alone a hit. There were fish surfacing and giving me the fin just to rub it in, but I manned up and waved back.

Any real obvious mistakes, or more subtle mistakes apparent in my technique. Feel free to give CONSTRUCTIVE advice as I am still learning.

Dumbville... The armpit of South Western Ontario

Should have gave Rich a shout... I bet he would be an awesome guide and all around good fishing dude.

He might even share his bait with you.... Rotten Suckers.

G

Sounds like your bait was a tad on the small side. Try a big ol' gob, use panty hose or roe bag material to tie it up with, change your bait every 15 minutes. Old cheese works too, I like a live bait personally myself... hugeass minnows or small suckers (6-8") may work better. Adapt, improvise, and overcome!

You didn't say how long you were out for, the fish may just not have been biting while you were there. Don't give up, keep going back and you will eventually catch something.

River might still be a tad high & fast, should start dropping pretty good in the next couple of weeks and that's when the catfishing really turns on. Also, try to find livers still with blood in them. A real butcher shop should be able to hook you up. And don't be afraid to toss hardware if you get bored, there's A LOT of different species around Dunnville. Small white crankbait like a Big O is my fav, caught drum, cats, pickeral & even rainbows all in the same afternoon from pretty much the same spot.

Never had much luck for cats near the dam, poke around a little further downstream to find holes you can reach from shore. And stop by Fishmasters shop, he'll point you in the right direction.

When the river is running high the catfish are in the eddies and current breaks. Catfish that are young are opertunity feeders meaning they will take bait that is left over from others feeding those are the ones that your less than perfect meat are attracting. If you are looking for some fish of size then switch to fresh fish that has not been frozen or rotted. The average Channel cat over 10 lbs are preditors and are hunting for minnows that ar einjured like a sucker with a few blood cuts in the side. Don't be afraid to change bait often after 15 min if you havent gotten a pick up then freshen the bait and cast to a different spot. If you want to pick up more tips on catfish send me a PM and I will send you a link to a board that is just for catfish it has alot of good information.

Art

Try a big ol' gob, use panty hose or roe bag material to tie it up with, change your bait every 15 minutes.

If you're using unwashed pantyhose, your bait won't need to be that stinky. If fact, you might need to freshen it up.