Hitch Question NF

medmart

Hey guys i got a new hitch put on the wifes van it is a class 3 when i towed a trailer yesterday

empty the tong was bouncing in the receiver making a lot of noise so when i took the

trailer off i notice the tong has some play in it when it is in the receiver is this normal or

should it be a tight fit thanks for any input

Rob

I noticed that on mine also. I had a different brand reciever in it so I put a reese in and it fit perfect. I have also jammed a washer in there to stop the movement. I'm not saying to do that but it worked.

Edited by Dan Bouck

Guest lundboy

when the trailer is full, it won't rattle nearly as much.

You have to be careful putting anything in it to tighten up the play, you may not be able to get the receiver out again very easily.

Edited by lundboy

You might not have enough tongue weight. Try putting a 14" bandsaw on your casting deck and take a drive to London!

A little play is normal - these aren't exactly precision crafted parts and it will ease removal.

-Brian

You might not have enough tongue weight. Try putting a 14" bandsaw on your casting deck and take a drive to London!

A little play is normal - these aren't exactly precision crafted parts and it will ease removal.

-Brian

Thats a good one Brian i should of thought of that LOL

Rob

Take the receiver off of the vehicle.. latch the ball into the trailer tongue. Now tighten the nut on the underside (or some older ones are on the lever/latch top side) of the ball fork (usually 13/16 socket) until you can still rotate the ball freely.. but without slop/play. Leaving it loose/rattling around is a recipe for disaster. Then remember to put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the ball every few trips out to keep the socket lubricated.

Take the receiver off of the vehicle.. latch the ball into the trailer tongue. Now tighten the nut on the underside (or some older ones are on the lever/latch top side) of the ball fork (usually 13/16 socket) until you can still rotate the ball freely.. but without slop/play. Leaving it loose/rattling around is a recipe for disaster. Then remember to put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the ball every few trips out to keep the socket lubricated.

Yer so smart Wayne. :clapping:

Brian that was SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY.LOL :wallbash:

Rob,when you got the boat on it,you will not feel this,only the back and forth jolts when breaking or taking off..

If it's the tongue that hold the 2" ball rattling around in the receiver (part on your van) than it's a very easy fix. Just take a little electrical tape and rap it once or twice on the tongue. That will take up the extra slop in there and no more rattle.

Bob

I stick a piece of the metal banding that you get off lifts of lumber in there. That rattle drives me nuts. They all do it a little though.....

Sinker

I wouldn't advise that. The best thing that can happen is that it rattles out and hits your boat. The worst thing that can happen is it rattles out and hits my boat!

-Brian

I wouldn't advise that. The best thing that can happen is that it rattles out and hits your boat. The worst thing that can happen is it rattles out and hits my boat!

-Brian

It can't rattle out when its wrapped all the way around. I put it on before it goes in the reciever. There's no way its coming out. Over the top, around the back and out the bottom.

Sinker

heres the reason that your draw bar rattles when you put it into the receiver on the van.

they use to be a lot tighter fit but the problem was that they would rust , and then you couldnt take the draw bar out of the receiver.

now they make them a little smaller to stop it from seizing in .

there were to many mishaps with guys chaining it onto a tree to try and pull them out,

either with the tree or the hitch being ripped out of the frame on the tow vehicle.

this was told to me by the guy's that installed my hitch, and Tracker was told the same thing by the guy's that installed his hitch.

Dann

heres the reason that your draw bar rattles when you put it into the receiver on the van.

they use to be a lot tighter fit but the problem was that they would rust , and then you couldnt take the draw bar out of the receiver.

now they make them a little smaller to stop it from seizing in .

there were to many mishaps with guys chaining it onto a tree to try and pull them out,

either with the tree or the hitch being ripped out of the frame on the tow vehicle.

this was told to me by the guy's that installed my hitch, and Tracker was told the same thing by the guy's that installed his hitch.

Dann

Tip....grease the reciever......no more rust.

Sinker