rooftop cargo carriers NF

setomonkey

I'm hoping to get up to the family cottage more this summer. But now that we have a baby, we need to carry A LOT more gear with us, and we can't put down one of the rear seats anymore because of the infant seat and new passenger.

I drive a Subaru Impreza wagon with a factory-installed roof rack. I have been looking online at cargo carriers and can't believe what they want for a Thule or similar hard carrier. Way more than I want to spend for a few cottage trips a year.

I was also looking at the bag carriers, and wondered if any of you have used these. What's your opinion?

gallery_41_101_13188.jpg

Thanks, Mike

I used to use one of the roof top bag carriers and while they are half the cost, on a day like today (when its pouring rain), they aren't very useful at all. All your gear will be wet.

The other thing about them is, they get very dirty and messy quickly due to the bug juice and road dirt you'll get on them.

I bit the bullet after using my bag carrier twice and bought a Thule Weekender. Never looked back and unless you drive your into an underground parking lot, they will last forever. Don't waste your money on the bag carrier, you'll end up upgrading to the box carriers anyways.

Edited by Blue_Axela

I bought one of these and have used it for years...maybe 3 to 4 times a year. It's been a lifesaver for us on trips to the US. It was the best 150 bucks I've spent.

0401064_450_CC_51b85.jpg

Click here to see product.....

It has a seal that goes all around the carrier, but I've noticed when driving in rain and little does get in. I line the bottom wit a tarp and that does the trick.

Edited by ccmt

I was also looking at the bag carriers, and wondered if any of you have used these. What's your opinion?

my friend bought one of those models with that type of material and they are not completely waterproof. he had to return his for the shell-type (posted by ccmt) as 1 of their camping trips was almost ruined when their gear literally got rained out.

Thanks guys, good pt about the waterproofness.

Cliff, a lot more reasonable price for what we have in mind. Any problems with cracking or wear & tear of the plastic? And I'm not sure what you mean about the tarp, how does having one on the bottom help you with leaks through the seal along the sides?

Thanks again,

Mike

Thanks guys, good pt about the waterproofness.

Cliff, a lot more reasonable price for what we have in mind. Any problems with cracking or wear & tear of the plastic? And I'm not sure what you mean about the tarp, how does having one on the bottom help you with leaks through the seal along the sides?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike...no issues with cracking or wear and tear of plastic as of yet...and it's now 6 years old. The locks on the sides and the clamps on each end do a good job of keeping that lid down when driving. I cant remember, but if you go to CTC, they'll have a cross reference chart...you may have to buy a separate kit to attach it to your roof rack if what is supplied wont work.

Ok....tarp thing...

I've found that a little water can seep into it in heavy rain. I'd get a tarp that is at least twice the size of the carrier and put it on the bottom. I then load the stuff in and "wrap" the contents, then close the lid. You have to make sure that the tarp is big enough that there is sufficient overlap on all 4 sides. I hope that helps.

Edited by ccmt

check the weight capacity of your factory roof rack. most will not support much more than 50lbs, which is not very much.

You are right...When packing for trips, I'll put the lighter, bulky items up top. A week's worth of clothes for 4 people is pretty heavy and always went in the car. There was always something light that I'd put up top...pillows, pack n play, food etc...

You are right...When packing for trips, I'll put the lighter, bulky items up top. A week's worth of clothes for 4 people is pretty heavy and always went in the car. There was always something light that I'd put up top...pillows, pack n play, food etc...

yup, even on my Jeep I believe the recommended max is 60 or so pounds. Now I've had a 80-90 lb ice shack up there with no ill effects but I also run with scissors.

Mike, I've recently gone through the "pain" your going through, with two young ones and the assorted sundry items that are required just to leave the house! This is a short term situation since as they get older, they will require less and less items.

We found that we only brought with us, things that we could not buy, upon arriving at our destination, helped a great deal. Many items are also available in "travel" mode, but space was at a premium during that time.

Although you may not want to hear it... I 2nd the minivan comment as it is a solution that has long term pluses, assuming your budget can handle it!

Oh yah... and a boat on a trailer can carry a lot of stuff!

HH

I bought one of these and have used it for years...maybe 3 to 4 times a year. It's been a lifesaver for us on trips to the US. It was the best 150 bucks I've spent.

0401064_450_CC_51b85.jpg

Click here to see product.....

It has a seal that goes all around the carrier, but I've noticed when driving in rain and little does get in. I line the bottom wit a tarp and that does the trick.

ill sell you mine , iam in guelph sat under the deck for couple years now

Thanks again guys, really helpful advice. (Who needs Google with all the great members here?)

According to the car manual the roof rack is good up to 100 lbs, and that is the max load for the cartop carrier anyway.

Buster, sent you a PM.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...