Disappointing report

Well I was going to name this the crappy report, but then it would have given the impression that I actually caught some. I was hoping that my first report on here would be one filled with pictures of fish, but unfortunately not one fish was caught all afternoon. Having just moved to Barrie and getting off work at 2 this seemed like the opportune time to find some good crappie spots. Had all my spots mapped out, some were in Barrie, others in Orillia. A few ended up "looking" promising but didn't get me anything. Are the creeks running too fast? I have no idea, but something was not working. I didn't even see one person fishing in any spots in Orillia or Barrie, so this meant one of three things...I'm fishing the wrong spots...I'm early...or the conditions aren't right. I just got home quite down because I had such high hopes for the day. Didn't even see any fisherman's mess (e.g. old line, empty worm cans etc.) lying around in any of the spots I fished, so either the fisherman around here are much much cleaner than the ones I'm used to, or these were just questionable spots. Oh well, a day out still beats anything else. I'll be back at it again soon.

The first four are the same area in Barrie, (two from one side of the bridge, two from the other) it was flooded pretty good.

100_1120.jpg

100_1121.jpg

100_1127.jpg

100_1128.jpg

These two were on the outskirts of orillia

100_1136.jpg

100_1138.jpg

When I started steelhead fishing, I posted a "skunk review" that went across about 5 outings! The important thing is that you learn from you experience. At least you got out there and gave it your best...you cant catch fish at home after all! Keep at it...you'll get the fish, and I hope you post your successes!

Great scenery shots by the way!

Great pics! :thumbsup_anim:

It's been my experience that when the water is high like that, fish around flooded structure... bushes, shrubs, rocks, trees, fencelines, anything like that! Fish are usually up close to shore feeding on the bugs and stuff they can't normally get to.

Like others have said, keep after it... you'll never know unless you go!!!

Wayne has made nearly 11 000 NF posts :clapping: LOL seems like I have seen pictures of Wayne with fish.

Could have been a combination of all 3, still snow on the ground there? hasn`t been any here for at least a week. It`s very early season here, even earlier up there, a week or so of warmer temps for decent results.

Not sure about Barrie,but those pics of Orillia look familiar.If it's where I think that would be awesome as it's easily accessible.In my youth you could walk across the backs of Pike that flooded that stream there were so many when they spawned.Anyway crappie do come in around Oriliia and are making somewhat of a comeback as last year was the first time in several years that you could actually see them down by the town dock.The Lankin Blvd canal(great perch fest spot for the shore angler) gets some but it's spotty.I'm sure the narrows area does especially in the reed beds by the boat launch across from Tudhope Park but you need a boat of couse.I think we need a bit more of a melt and some stabling in the water level for them to make a serious move shallow here.I've tried for rainbows in Coldwater this week but the runoff is pretty strong and water clarity is way down right now.Levels looked to be only a couple feet up tho so it may clear quick if we don't get hit with too much rain.

Kerry