Advice on Paint (NF)

I've searched this forum and did find a bit of info but not enough to guide with the proper paint to purchase. I will be painting the interior walls and would like a paint that is easy to clean should dirty hands leave their mark.

Also...with the doors...can I leave them as is (installed) or do I have to take them down?

Thanks in advance

Nancy

A pearl finish Latex is the most durable, and easiest to scrub. but....

It really show imperfections in the wall such as scratches and pits etc..

Because its pretty glossy

I'd go with a sattin finish...it'll hide the kids nicks a bit better :D

Thanks GCD

I don't know what kind of paint I want, just that I don't want too much of a shine just something easy to clean.

I want to do the doors as well and figured I could paint them without taking them down.

Ok, stay away from the egg shell finish... nearly impossible to touch that up.

The doors should be easy to take down, just pull the hinge pins. Much easier to paint, easy to mess up the wet paint if they're hanging.

If you are looking for Brands, I work for a homebuilder and we have done extensive research for what is durable and what is not.

ICI, Then either Bejamin Moore or Sherwin. ICI is the least powdery of the finishes. Stick with something more then an Egg Shell if you want to wipe it down. The more gloss the easier to clean but the more imperfections you see.

As for the doors. if they are painted already you can take them down and give them a light sanding just to take off any heavy material. If you cant see the imperfections in the door, just paint right over it. you will never know.

being in the industry for over twenty years maybe i can shed some light on the process of painting....

what you need to get for your walls is 100percent ackrilc...(spelt worng i know...to many fumes over the years)

any name brand paint is good...just stick to their top line stuff...benny moore retails for 50 or so ....good product but a little over priced in my view....i like to use para top line or sherwin williams...good products....as for touching up.....all paints are almost hard to touch up....they will all "flash"....if your thinkin of using dark colours for lets say a dining room.....or a less traficc area....use flat....as the pigments in darker colours will make the sheen level rise...i understand in high traffic areas or 'wet' areas thats not a good thing to do use your judgement

as for your trim work....i always like to use an oil based product..reason being durabilty factor is awwsome...and also the leveling of the paint is bar none...although latex paints have come along way i tend to use oils

as for the prep...sand what ever you paint...i cannot stress this enuf....what you are doin is taking of the original sheen of the old paint and creating a substrate that will adhere the new paint better...

as for the trim....take all handles off makes it easier....and if your doin a big job spend a few bucks on a good brush...this makes it easier to work and your job will come out better

now keep in mind colour selection...i once painted a 'chinese' red....that took 12 coats...not fun....youll get some colours that require multple coats

hell call a professional......

me!!.....lol

good luck

oh and if you want to save a little on materials...i can set you up

be a pleasure

Edited by workwear

I personally like Benjamin Moore, and would recommend eggshell for the walls . Alot of people use a semi-gloss for the doors and trim . I wouldn't take the doors off to paint them , but maybe remove the handles to paint. I found that the small stores that sell Benjamin Moore give good advice on what you need to do to prep before painting. good luck

I have got to go with Ben Moore, we just repainted our entire place in December. Great Paint easy to clean up and easy to wash. Last time we did it, we bought a less expensive brand at HD, well 2 years later we were repainting, enough said.

I think most paint stores have a test kit to tell if your walls are latex or oil, as Bernie pointed out if you are going to paint latex over oil it is best to prime it first to make sure the paint sticks.

dont spend money on sticks!!!!

trick of the trade use nail polish remover...with an acetone base....if paint comes off...then its latex....

and remeber

oil over latex but never latex over oil.....well i shouldnt say never...but its a good rule of thumb

I am no expert painter by any stretch of imagination but time has taught me a couple things.

Enamel is an oil base paint and latex water-borne. As you know oil and water are not too compatible.

If in doubt it may be a good idea to prime first. Clean the surface to be painted, give it a light sanding to give the surface a "tooth" for the primer to stick to. I have had very good success with a primer product called "KilZ" (There may be similar product out there). Then paint with whatever colour you like.

The experts may refute how I do it but it works for me.

Workwear. Great pointer on the nail polish!

Edited by Bernie

Every time I moved I ended up painting my house and believe me I moved a lot. What Workwear says is exactly what the pros will say when it comes to painting. What Ive learned is that the more shine the more durability. So Kitchens and Bathrooms gloss, also the trim along the floors. I like semi Gloss for the walls. Its durable and easy to clean. If you got condensation in the house go for gloss. As mentioned Oil is more durable than Latex. So for me Kitchens and Bathrooms oil base gloss. Id even use oil gloss for outside doors. You must know what your painting on top of. If you don't know get a good primer. As far as Paint. Ive always used the Walmart Color Your World Paint. American Consumers had it as number two as a $15 can only topped by a $28 brand name. Ive always used it and the longest I seen was seven years without the White, Yellowing. One last thing 80% painting is the Prep work.

Have always had great results with Canadian Tires top of the line latex, and if you are not in a big hurry keep checking there flyers as it comes on sale quit a bit. So you end up paying low grade paint prices for the good stuff. There semi gloss is perfect for any interior jobs. Not too shiny and easy to scrub. Fairly thick so it goes on nice without being drippy. Best advise I can give you...always do 2 coats. Even if the can says one coat coverage and it looks good after one coat...do 2. Also as someone has already mentioned NEVER paint acrylic over latex. And I always do primer first. it may not be necessary, but I find starting over from a white primer base has always made the finished work look better. BINZ primer dries in 45 minutes and can go over acrylic or latex so that takes that problem out of the equation as well. I am not a painter but I enjoy painting and my finished work is always nice. Feel free to PM if you need anymore advice or have anymore questions.

Everyone pretty much has it covered but one detail. If you are painting your walls a darker colour you should have your primer tinted a darker colour so you will only use 2 coats of paint vs 3 or more. Talk to your ICI paint experts they will fix you up. I just learned that tip and it saved me an extra coat of paint.

a great tip I learned the hard way is if you are painting a burgandy(deep red) color , it is best to tint your primer a medium color grey then 2 coats of burgandy and it should give you a nice finish.

CIL makes a latex paint that has teflon in it. i used it on all my baseboards, crown molding, door jams, etc and it is easy to clean just like oil paint. my grandfather had been a professional painter since the days before rollers were even invented and he swears by oil for its durability and how easy it is to clean. but then my uncle who has been painting new homes for over 15 years swear by premium CIL latex paints. i think good latex paints are just as good as oil for durability and ease of cleaning.

another thing most people dont know about is recycled paint called boomerang which can be purchased at turkstra lumber. checkout their website to see how its manufactured. at $13.99 per gallon it sure caught my eye. i used it in my whole house (except the bathroom) and i am very happy with it. very easy to apply, covers very well, very durable, and super easy to clean. there arent many colors but it sure saves you quite a bit of money so its worth taking a look at. :thumbsup_anim:

oh ya...dont buy cheap rollers or brushes and just tape all edges for cutting in. remove the tape when the paint is WET to prevent peeling.

the ceiling paint that goes on pink and dries white is great for ceilings to make sure you dont miss any spots.

and add a contrast wall in your living room, bedroom, etc to make it look puuuuurdy :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by ch312

another thing to be aware of is ( especially if you are living in the house while you paint) is VOC s ( Volotile Organic compunds) thats the stuff that gives some people headaches .

All materials eminate these over time ( carpets ,furniture, cabinets ,paints etc) Even afte rthe paint is'dry'

Sherwin Williams Harmony series are low VOC and I'm sure there are many others as well.

Just something to think about.

TB