Need some help on the email front... (NF)

TJQ

I need some advice or suggestions....

Right now all my email is forwarded to a sympatico.ca address that I use hotmail to check. Its nice cause all my email is off my server and is available to me anywhere... the problem is that it seems like all the sorting and search features I used to have are gone, so im thinking about going back to a local email program like outlook express or thunderbird.. or Eudora.. which I have used before. main problem is that I check my email from three different computers so the email has to be shared off of one, and I still want to be able to use hotmail to check it when i am away... its just too much to sort through... now Ive used eudora alot and can share the email data directory easliy, i couldnt find that feature on outlook express...

Eudora however is now open source.. and the last update was 2006...... any one have any suggestion... i have to make a change on the way I a manage emails.

I tried gmail a while back and didn't like it... i could try it again.. i dunno if sympatico would forward it... id drop the sympatico address , but its been in use for so long, i can't .

I use to have Hotmail and one day EVERYTHING was gone. All my files and important letter etc.......... My son turned my on to Gmail and I LOVE it. It never fails, has the LARGEST storage capacity and REALLY does a good job filtering out spam and junk mail. In order to get Gmail you need a invite so PM me if your interested in it. My other son like his Yahoo mail. I tried it at the same time as Gmail and stuck with Gmail but you might like it.

Bob

I like Sympatico, I used to use Hotmail. Also, enabled Outlook to capture my Sympatico, so now I have all the bells and whistles common to Outlook.

thats what im thinking of... problem is setting outlook express up so the program shares the same directory on on computer.. not sure how to accomplish that.

My workplace Lakehead University switched to Google Mail over 2 yrs. ago after having a really bad experience with our own e-mail server, and everything I decided to keep is still there.

And with the Labels, you can label any e-mail in multiple labels for cross-referencing if important to you. You can create a Label for every client you have, and still have those e-mails referenced to another Label.

It operates like a database. we have rarely had trouble with it. And, on those occasions when things screw up, we have not lost any previous e-mails, just e-mails that people did not realize were not spam, and decided to delete them without scanning through them first.

I think we have over 20,000 e-mail accounts registered with Google Mail, mine says this:

"You are currently using 47 MB (0%) of your 6570 MB", and that is after 2 yrs. of use.

Of course, disk space for students and employees differ, but you get the picture.

You will have to negotiate with Google for the amount of space you require.

But, the employees do not often send pictures, only text, or occasionally power-point presentations for sharing with others. Once done with them, just delete them, or save them under a Label is still relevant.

You also get Google Chat, Google Calendars, and Google Docs, that you can share with other Google users, or just use them to co-ordinate your own stuff.

Guest lundboy

T.J. Here's your solution....

Setup your outlook or thunderbird to pick up your mail off the sympatico server at:

pophm.sympatico.ca

smtphm.sympatico.ca (to send mail)

then in the account options under the advanced tab, set the "leave a copy of message on the server"

Remember that pop3 & smtp on Sympatico requires you to turn on the secure (SSL) option or it won't send and receive mail.

Then your messages will still be in the Hotmail inbox for all of your outlook/thunderbird PCs and hotmail itself.

This of course means you will have to delete the mail from the Hotmail GUI to get rid of it, but all of your Outlook/TB machines will all have a copy from when they received it.

Or, talk to Rick, I just checked my other g-mail account he set me up with 2 yrs ago, and it has the same disk space.

And, you can map any of your other e-mail accounts to it, without too much effort.

Custom mail storage folders in OE6:

Tools --> Options --> Maintenance --> Store Folder

For the address book...it's less fun.

Whatever you do, avoid the new open source "Eudora" - it's a total mess. The last version of the real Eudora is still graceful, and should be for some time.

Sympatico's becoming a problem since they started farming out to Microsoft. Spending way too much time with clients picking up messes after Sympatico kabooms lately. It's a good time to think about getting out.

Gmail hasn't required invitations for some time now. I've had it since early on in the beta test, and use it for things I need access to from my cell phone, testing email when I'm on location, etc. It's great as webmail goes, but it has 2 issues that may or may not apply to you:

1) Both Gmail and Yahoo have problems with line wraps. If you belong to any listservs, and see a reply that looks like a big ball of dog's breakfast (instead of nicely laid out with blank lines and indents), it's likely a reply from a Gmail or Yahoo address.

2) Gmail rejects attachments it doesn't approve of, and it will snoop inside your zip/rar files to see if you've tried hiding something naughty in there. Let's take exe files for example. Say you want to send a buddy the install file for a small freeware program, file name zippypics.EXE. Nothing unusual, but Gmail will bounce it because it's a program. Running zippypics.EXE through winzip to create archive file zippypics.ZIP isn't eough - Gmail snoops inside the zip and gives the same bounce. Putting zippypics.ZIP inside an empty directory, then using WinRAR to rar the directory itself (including all files inside) to create directoryname.RAR will get it past the censors.

Ive been using Yahoo for years now. I started that account when selling on eBay and back then it eliminated so much spam.... probably 95%+. I suspect it's as good now as it was then because I only receive maybe 2-3 unfiltered spam messages.

I may go back to my hotmail account soon though... running out "enlargement cream".

-Brian