Perching at Simcoe

bbog

The misses and I thought we would spend a few hours on Simcoe yesterday in an attempt to find Black Crappie. Hit the ice mid-morning and initially used a couple of abandoned holes. Right away we had tap, tap then it was very quiet for several minutes. I moved about 100m out and drilled a couple holes - just then I hear a squeal back at the original hole and the reason the Perch were off. Mr Pike had come to visit!

It wasn't a large one at 21" but on the way up I was told what would be for dinner if we didn't catch any fish. We kept the Pike!

The day was gorgeous and was pretty much steady Perch action in the holes I drilled. Kept 15 between 8 and 11 inches and sent many, many back. Had several double headers with the weight suggesting a nice keeper only to find two dinks!

The abandoned hole managed to produce a number of species (except Black Crappie). It wasn't as fast action as my holes but did produce two very nice OOS Largemouth as well as the Pike and Perch of various sizes.

The people beside us were finding the odd Crappie, Sunfish, lots of Perch and also an OOS Largemouth. Then the squeal of excitement - they had caught a very nice fish. I could hear them moaning about not having a camera so I rushed over with my Blackberry and offered to take one for them and then email it.

This fat female measured in at 13.5" and was released to spawn right after the picture.

IMG00003.jpg

Here is our small pile for the few hours we fished.

IMG00005.jpg

And here is the happy misses.

IMG00008.jpg

Just a fantastic day to be out - not even the slightest breeze. Great company, just perfect.

Thanks for reading, hopefully my next post will have higher quality images.

Looks like a great outing for you and your Mrs. :clapping:

Thanks for sharing your day.

How thick was the ice ?

Guessing around 30" - getting close to the handle on the manual auger :o

See now why we initially opted for the open holes we found LOL