Baitcaster: Daiwa Tierra vs Quantum Energy PT

Victor

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should i buy?

• Daiwa Tierra
    • Quantum Energy PT

Good evening all,

I've learned to use a baitcaster last season and with the temps slowly crawling up i'm hoping to purchase a quality low profile reel. I know a lot of people have nothing but good to say about the Curados when it comes to baitcasters. Unfortunately even with the recent rebates it's out of my budget.

So here i am looking at these two reels. The Tierra is priced at $120 and it's about 1oz lighter. The Energy PT is priced at $140 after the rebate. They both have similar line capacity and the same gear ratio (6:3:1).

Has anyone used these reels and can help me out? Thanks guys and girls :)

Victor

i"ve never used the tierra but i do have the pt,,love it ,smooth, great drag. the pt has a flippin switch that is excelent for jigging walleye pitching for bass and drifting from a boat on the niagara,just hit the button and the line is let out,,take you thumb off and your fishing all with one hand, this feature is what sold me. good luck in your purchase..

the pt has a flippin switch that is excelent for jigging walleye pitching for bass and drifting from a boat on the niagara,just hit the button and the line is let out,,take you thumb off and your fishing all with one hand, this feature is what sold me.

Yup, that is one feature that is nice to have, some people will use it others will never touch it though.

no personal experience with PT, but mostly heard good thing about them.

I looked at Daiwa Tierra, but for another $10 got the new Team Daiwa Advantage HSTA, big difference, a lot smother and overall better reel.

if you do decide to check it out, make sure its HSTA(red spool and swept handle) and not HST(older version)

I found LeBarons have the best price($139) on them,

The energy PT is an outstanding reel! have not yet used a daiwa casting reel as of yet, but have has plenty of experience with their spinning gear over the years. both are good choices. I personally am a quantum guy, so i would say the Energy PT would be a good choice. also, if u wanna save a few extra bucks and still get a great reel the quantum accurist PT is another very good reel for a good price.

Quantum without a doubt!!! I have the older Energy PT and the current Tour Edition PT. They are awesome, they have great drags and are very very smooth. Also, with Daiwa, if you have warranty or repair issues, I've heard they can be a bit slow, quantum is fast.

The Accurist PT is the model with the flippin' switch. The Energy PT is a step up from that one.

I used a couple of the Daiwa Advantage HSTA's last year and loved them. They definitely feel like they're worth more then they sell for! Haven't had a chance to try the Tierra baitcaster, so I can't speak for it, But I did use a bunch of Tierra spinning reels last year and they were super for the money!

Cheers,

Dave

Good evening all,

I've learned to use a baitcaster last season and with the temps slowly crawling up i'm hoping to purchase a quality low profile reel. I know a lot of people have nothing but good to say about the Curados when it comes to baitcasters. Unfortunately even with the recent rebates it's out of my budget.

So here i am looking at these two reels. The Tierra is priced at $120 and it's about 1oz lighter. The Energy PT is priced at $140 after the rebate. They both have similar line capacity and the same gear ratio (6:3:1).

Saw the Quantum today for $100 after the rebate. The store in Stratford had it. Had some left handers too.

JF

Thanks for the heads up JohnF!

I couldn't resist. I bought one tonight, along with a Quantum Tour Edition(?) rod that was on sale. The rod was only $50 so I won't feel bad if it doesn't work out. Let me know if you want me to get him to set one aside for you. I'll be coming down to Kitchener every day from the 14th for two weeks so I could even deliver it.

JF

Thank you for the kind offer JohnF

I would like to go to a store to play around with the reels before i make my final decision though.

No hurry. Apparently the reel prices hold until the end of May. Not sure about the rods.

JF