Happy Hour

highdrifter

Hey gang,

Stepped out this morning for a little pike session and went one for one. I recently moved into a brand new place at King and Bathurst, literally minutes away from some prime water. Whenever the opportunity presents itself, I like to spend an hour or so on the peer, before lugging my sorry arse into work. It’s like coming home on your lunch break and having a nooner.. work just seems easier afterwards.. :whistling:

Wanted to test a new reel I purchased at the show last weekend. I was in the market for either a stradic or an energy PTI (Thanx Clive), but couldnt seem to find the right size in the PTI, so I settled on the new 3000 stradic.. :rolleyes: Also wandered around for an hour thinking I would find the OFC booth, but after the retriever show and quick stop to the Lugger booth for a look at a piece, I called er a day and went home. Guess I should keep on the announcements... Im sure I walked right by ya TJ!! :wallbash:

What a sweeeet little piece of engineering this reel is though. It balances a 7.1f crank rod perfectly, casts a country mile and has just the right ratio for working jerk baits. When the pike are still a tad lethargic, good contact with a bait helps you the feel the lighter pick-ups. A rather extravagant expense, I have difficulty justifying such a purchase, but what the hey, I've been good this year.

Anywho, 2nd cast and she was on! A solid fish, healthy and ripe for the spawn. She was hungry though and I suspect she had more than just eggs in her from the bulge in her gut.. She hit a flash minnow and she inhaled it! I've been clipping one hook from the last trebles recently, which makes emergency surgery a bit easier..

To further reiterate a reply from Anton's thread a coupla days ago about best times for pike..11am is a great hour. When the sun warms the water just enough and is still low in the horizon, there is internal feeding mechanism that activates this particular population of downtown pike. The general rule applies of course, but I'd like to think it's from the way the sun hits the condos on Queens Quay.. :P

11:02am..

gallery_439_445_492.jpg

11:10am...

gallery_439_445_571.jpg

Thanx for reading, should be more to come.

H to the D

Edited by Highdrifter

Thats an awesome spawn filled female pike. Thanks for sharing that.

Hey gang,

Stepped out this morning for a little pike session and went one for one. I recently moved into a brand new place at King and Bathurst, literally minutes away from some prime water.

To further reiterate a reply from Anton's thread a coupla days ago about best times for pike..11am is a great hour. When the sun warms the water just enough and is still low in the horizon, there is internal feeding mechanism that activates

Thanx for reading, should be more to come.

H to the D

Along with proper lure choice and location i think your post of the time is most important as you reiterated.

Look forward to your posts.

I'm up around Harbord/ Bathurst myself, not that i'll get out much with kids and work in way.

Good luck with new place.

ehg

HD............... NICE FISH. YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL ME WHEN YOU ARE GOING SOON, I'LL BE AROUND SUNDAY DAY TO GO OUTAROUND 11 AM ISH IF YOUR INTRESTED. GOING TO PENNSYLVANIA THIS WEEKEND FOR STEELIES SO WHEN IM BACK I'LL GIVE YA A CALL. DIDNT KNOW YA MOVED BUT CONGRATS ON THE NEW PLACE. ITS A LITTLE BIT OF A HAUL TO MY PLACE FOR SALMON SEASON NOW. DID YOU WEIGH IT????

TTYL

ANDY

That's a "Jenny Craig" pike fer sure.

Very nice of you to put the duct tape on the jaw spreaders.

You're a nice man.

Did you ask the pike to say "Chi's" for the pic?

You shoulda seen me cradle her... she was as docile as a kitten in my hands.. What can I say? It must have been love.. :rolleyes:

By the by, that's electrical tape. Those spreaders can be pretty jagged, so FHR and I had dug out some funky red tape back in the day to cover the tips. The fish struggle less and don't clench their jaws as much, making for a quicker, safer release..

We must protect our beauties..

HD

HD............... NICE FISH. YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL ME WHEN YOU ARE GOING SOON, I'LL BE AROUND SUNDAY DAY TO GO OUTAROUND 11 AM ISH IF YOUR INTRESTED. GOING TO PENNSYLVANIA THIS WEEKEND FOR STEELIES SO WHEN IM BACK I'LL GIVE YA A CALL. DIDNT KNOW YA MOVED BUT CONGRATS ON THE NEW PLACE. ITS A LITTLE BIT OF A HAUL TO MY PLACE FOR SALMON SEASON NOW. DID YOU WEIGH IT????

TTYL

ANDY

Pennsylvania?! Take me with you, I'll take you to some bigguns on Sunday bro!

gimme a holla lata homay.

HD