Lac Des Mille Lac trip up here in the GWN

tjsa

Hit the road at the crack of...........1pm :lol:

Got to a point down near Reserve Point and all set up by 3:45pm. Set lines in, and jigging in the rest. Tried a couple of different holes ranging from 20 ft. to 11 ft. Half an hour later I get a solid hit, and knew by the weight it was a decent fish.

21 inches, and thick.

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

As my bud was taking the photos of my fish he sees his set line take a hit, and landed a 15" walleye. Sorry, I didn't get a pic of it.

Shortly after my first walleye, I get another tap, and set the hook hard......missed it...........reel in slack line.......feel weight........set hook, slack line............reel in...........feel weight...............set hook again,...................and out the 15 ft. hole comes a decent 10.5 inch perch. I had been yanking it up through the water column so hard and fast I thought I had lost it.

IMG_1559.JPG

My two fish of the day

IMG_1560.JPG

This all happened between 4:10-4:20 pm, then everything shut down, no bites, almost nothing on my buds vexilar.

My other bud who got the walleye right after me got a perch around 7 pm, but that was it until around 8:30 pm, when my bud with the vexilar

had a fish show up, but could not entice them to bite. He had one suddenly show up and got it just shortly after, a nice one around 15.5 inches.

We all now had one walleye.

I got another hit on the jig. Out the hole it came and it looked like a nice one about 16" in the deepening dark, until I saw the shape of the tail. Burbot, darn :w00t:

Thought of keeping it, but I had enough fish with the walleye and perch, so put it back.

My bud with the vex then misses 2 more fish, just could not get a solid hookup.

We called it a day at 8:50 and packed up for the 14 km ride back up the lake. It was an easy ride back up in the dark, as there were clear skies and a 5/8ths moon, you could see both shorelines even right in the middle of the lake at 9 pm and the narrowest section is 1.5 km wide, a full hour after the sun had gone down over the horizon, and also follow the lights of the huts back up the lake, at least on the weekend.

Final pics, Lac Sunset at 8 pm.

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

Plump eye there TJ.

Seems you and I pretty much do it up the same. And the 4:10 bite... damn man, did these fish not pay any attention to daylight savings time. it was 4:10 in February, they should be on 5:10 now.

I do not think anybody told them about the "new" time change in October(or was it in November?????), mistakes will be made, others will be blamed. Shouldn't the MNR have informed the fish?????????? :lol:

Well Lac des Milles Lac is what about 20 mintues from the easter/central timezone line so that might account for them not knowing when to properly start the bite :). Nice fish there TJ, I had no idea there were Burbot in Lac, go figure (I've fished there on and off since I was a kid but never more than a couple days a year).

Well Lac des Milles Lac is what about 20 mintues from the easter/central timezone line so that might account for them not knowing when to properly start the bite :). Nice fish there TJ, I had no idea there were Burbot in Lac, go figure (I've fished there on and off since I was a kid but never more than a couple days a year).

You know, I have also never in over 30 yrs. of fishing this lake, ever heard about burbot in this lake also. It does not surprise me that they are in there, but until last december, thats when I heard of someone catching one. Then my bud and I were out in late december, between christmas and new year, and he landed one right off of pine point.

Since then, I have seen many reports about people catching burbot, even in 7 ft. of water, and the one I got was out of 11 ft. of water. Usually these fish come out of deeper water, but there must be a population explosion of them, so many people are catching them now.

Sheesh first smallies now burbot, changing times I guess. Guess I should find some burbot recipes before we head up for this years trip.

Yup, someone put smallies in Lac, AND in Whitefish if you haven't heard yet. Did some research, and burbot have always been in Lac, just this year it seems that way more anglers are catching them, so I think its just a big couple of year classes for them.

Smallies on the other hand, are not native to this waterbody, and time will tell whether or not they will co-exist with the walleye. They do so further south, in the lower Boreal region and Quetico area, but thats been the case since the ice age ended.

AND.......have you heard, some idiot put Bluegills in Head Lake, north of Whitefish, a traditional speck fry stocked lake, say goodbye to the specks.

Wow!! Some great eyes in those pics!! Great to see you out fishing...and the catching thing is a pure bonus. I had to google burbot...interesting looking fish to say the least! See, OFC is educational...I'd never heard of one before...LOL

Wow!! Some great eyes in those pics!! Great to see you out fishing...and the catching thing is a pure bonus. I had to google burbot...interesting looking fish to say the least! See, OFC is educational...I'd never heard of one before...LOL

Dang Cliff! Even I know what a Burbot is! They are catching them in shallow water now because this is the breeding season for them, they breed under the ice in late Feb.- early Apr. The Burbot is on my "To Catch" list.

Isn't Lac Franch for lake? So when you Lac De Milles Lac, isn't that like saying Lake De Milles Lake?

Edited by Greencoachdog

Isn't Lac Franch for lake? So when you Lac De Milles Lac, isn't that like saying Lake De Milles Lake?

Oh heck, ask Roy, :lol: I don't have a clue. OK, I have half a clue, Lac is french for lake, but the complete translation of Lac Des Mille Lac I do not know. Lake of a million lakes?????/

Dang Cliff! Even I know what a Burbot is! They are catching them in shallow water now because this is the breeding season for them, they breed under the ice in late Feb.- early Apr. The Burbot is on my "To Catch" list.

I believe the translation is Lake of the Thousand Lakes.

And Glen...I don't remember asking you about burbot. LOL. :P

I believe the translation is Lake of the Thousand Lakes.

Could be, this lake has a multitude of islands on it, back bays, etc., if you don't have a map you can easily get lost on this lake first time there. I have been fishing this lake for over 30 yrs., even made a canoe trip through it way back when, and still have only seen maybe half of the lake, its that big.

Bluegills? What the h e double hockey sticks is that about? Sheesh - pretty soon we'll be be digging cat fish and those mutant 20lb largies out of all those logging road shield lakes.

Who knows why people do this stuff.

WTG Thom! Love the sunset shots. This lake sounds like a beautiful place to explore/fish with all those back bays and such. Look forward to reading the other reports when they are posted

Very easy to get lost on Lac (and yep its lake of one thousand lakes) if you're not there a lot (I never have a clue where I am). Wonderful lake though thats easy to access (can launch right off the highway up on the north east corner for example) yet like Tom said can take years to cover.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.866522,-90.452499&spn=0.633259,1.2854&t=h&z=10&output=embed&s=AARTsJqzARj-Z8VnW5pkPMLMmZbqrJcYpw"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.866522,-90.452499&spn=0.633259,1.2854&t=h&z=10&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>