Walleye vs. Bass Rod

goteeboy

To preface this question let me state that i am not a walleye fisherman. Every walleye i've caught was caught when targeting another species. I'd like to be more experienced some day, but for now i lack experience and knowledge w/ general walleye tackle.

So here goes the question...

Unless i've heard wrongly, bass rods often times have a fast taper, w/ a strong lower half of the rod. i know certain applications like cranks and spinners require a slower taper. So is it true that generally speaking walleye rods have a slower taper? if this is so, i don't understand why. in my thinking because walleye fishing is often done at deeper depths, you would want a fast/extra fast taper to make up for lots of line out and line stretch in hook setting. Or is it because walleye fishing often requires the use of light lines and therefore require more give in the rod? It is quite possible i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Someone care to shed some light?

Schmanks!

Bass rods generally need a little more backbone for hauling them outa the thick stuff. Bass also tend to slam whatever it is they are after. A more senstive rod is key for walleye so you can see/feel any light pick-ups or taps. It also is critical when driftin to "feel" bottom. Some walleye rods i've used allowed you to feel every stone on the bottom. Also with walleye most of the time they are in more open water, so you can let them run around a little more. A time or 2 ive used heavy rods for walleye and you definatly get a lot less "information" from the rod.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

-R

I mostly target walleye, I prefer to use light line, light tackle and a very sensitive rod. There are times however when conditions require heaver line and tackle and I'll switch up to a heavier action rod but I still prefer a sensitive tip. When I do fish for bass I usually use heavier line and tackle and prefer a rod with a good solid backbone. I almost always have at least 4 rods in the boat at any given time and have about 4 more to choose from before heading out.

Where you fish, the time of year, and the conditions can really dictate what you need to use but being able to feel what is hapening is key to successfuly putting walleye in the boat on a consistant basis.

If you are not married, I suggest buying a couple of good walley rods - 6' to 7'

St Croix makes a great one

TWS70MLF / Lindy® Rig (7')

You will feel the differernce immediatley.

Now if you are married, I suggest you do the same, and then scratch it up a little and tell the wife it was an old one you had lieing around :clapping: .

The only walleye rod I have that's got a slower taper is my crankbait rod.

I have a few different combo's for wallye. Depends if I'm jigging, lindy rigging, bottom bouncing, casting cranks etc. A lot depends how deep you are fishing too. In the middle of summer I am targeting walleye at 30-40 feet deep and you need a sensitive rod to feel the hits but also a rod with decent backbone for a strong hook set that far down. For jigging I have a St.Croix LE and a Fenwick Techna BOTH Medium power, fast action and even though the specs are the same, the Fenwick has much more backbone and is just as sensitive.

Edited by BenBeattie

goteeboy,

There are lots of variables in the different facets of fishing so it is tricky to try to give you a straight answer just from your Q alone. Could you tell us about your prevailent style of fishing, whether you're using a spinning reel or a bait caster, what lb-test line you have in mind, and is it braided, fluoro, or mono? Also, do you have a dollar figure in mind for the rod?

What baits and lures are you using and how? If you're into slowly fishing or finessing with worms, leeches, and/or bouncing curly-tail jigs along the bottom, and/or maybe working spinners down there, then some lighter walleye gear could be your ticket. An example here would be a rod rated for 1/8 to 1/2 oz lure weight and a spinning reel spooled with 8-lb test.

OTOH if you're more into flogging at weed patches, stumps, and rock piles with spinner baits, spoons, and cranks, then something sturdier will be the gear for the conditions and the types of fish you'll encounter. My choice here would be a stiff bait-casting rod rated for 3/8 to 3/4 oz lure weight and bait-cast reel spooled with 14-lb test. Are you doing big pike and 'skis? If yes, beef it up both with the lb-test and the lure weight.

If you know of a knowledgeable fishing tackle retailer in your area, such a retailer might be able to steer you into buying the rig that's right for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck and tight lines.

Don't buy a rod for the species, buy it for the lure you will be throwing. Finessing 1/8 oz jigs is the same for both bass and walleye, reeling in crankbaits is reeling in crankbaits. A good medium action 6 1/2 or 7' rod will you do you for most applications. You can change the feel dramatically by using different line.

thanks for all the advice.

i really enjoy finesse fishing so i would probably be fishing jigs. and i would say relatively shallow (less than 15 ft) and in regards to line i can go either mono or braid, but have been doing more powerpro these days.

but more than anything, it was more of a general tackle question. perhaps to better state the question would be to look for a rod for the type of fishing i mentioned in this post.

thanks

I am mostly a bass fisherman, but fished for walleye a lot on Lake Erie and on the Georgian Bay when in Ontario, I used the same tackle for it. Casting, trolling, still fishing didn`t matter to me, the rod I want in my hand is the one that feels right, for me a medium or medium heavy fast taper rod will do for most species.

Not the best setup for Steelhead or Ski`s though, nice to have extra rod length for Steelhead because they move fast and a softer action to help prevent pullouts. Get a muskie trucking towards a boat dock or lily pads and it`s nice to have a rod stiff enough and line heavy enough to make a stab at turning them, the just hang on leaves you feeling a little helpless.

I do think you develop a feel with experience with a rod and reel combination, you get used to what to expect and it makes it easier to detect an unusual feeling like a bite. Just the way various lures feel when running and when they feel different because of something foreign on them weeds a fish, line running against a snag.

Edited by OhioFisherman

thanks for all the advice.

i really enjoy finesse fishing so i would probably be fishing jigs. and i would say relatively shallow (less than 15 ft) and in regards to line i can go either mono or braid, but have been doing more powerpro these days.

but more than anything, it was more of a general tackle question. perhaps to better state the question would be to look for a rod for the type of fishing i mentioned in this post.

thanks

I fish a lot of jigs as well. If you are in less than 15 ft of water, then 1/16 - 1/4 will be fine for weight. For a light-jig rod, I like a medium to fast taper L or ML. I really like a 7' rod for lighter jigs, but would love to find a 7 1/2 to 8' with a fast taper. A longer rod gives me more casting distance and helps to manage line if I am fishing current. Braid will increase the sensitivity dramatically. If you think it makes a difference, you can alway use a flouro/mono leader in clear water.

Great response guys.

I like the rod sensetive enough to feel the blades of the worm harness wobble for Walleye. You would be surprised at the differece it makes when the bite is very light.

For Bass as long as you can feel the bottom for drop shot and is strong enough I really will use anything. I really do not target bass unless there is nothing else.