Computer help needed NF

BITEME

So its been awhile since Ive posted anything. But I have been paying attention and II feel the pains and the Joys and all the other things the OFC families feel and although you don’t hear from me that much Im pulling for everyone .

So today I have a question for the Tech savy I recently have bought a new computer

specs listed below :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

625 watt psu

Asus M3A mother Board

AMD Phenom 9500 2.26 quad core

Asus EN8800Gt 256 ddr3 graphics card

2 X 2 gig ddr800 pc6400 ram

HD digital Audio on board

Viewsonic x2240w 22in lcd HD monitor

Running VISTA 32

Now before anyone makes a comment on Vista I am not having any issues with it and I am very happy sure it asks some questions when downloading and what not but it is secure and it is very pretty so below will be the questions I asked on a ASUS web forum and im putting it out here because lets face it we have a very diverse group of skillsets her and most questions on here seem to lead to some decent answers

Well to start I will introduce myself My name is Peter Fairweather Im 43 years old I am by no means a tweaker I can add cards and perreferals and load programs but am not a techy > I have a very big problem. The old MDG computer is finally starting to give up the ghost not bad 5 years 3 teenagers and enough hair and crap to knit a sweater anyway the machine I got was made on the recommendation of the shop I biought it from told them what I wanted and they said how much

Here is what I got a

So the problems started when I got home initial ops was XPSP2 everything was great loade office 2007 it went on line and registered itself. XPSP@ wanted an update and a restart ok

When it restarted it went to its startup screen with the bar scrolling at the bottom then it would hang up. So I restart and it now wants to start from the last know good position . so do this it comes up but I have lost the either net no drivers nothing. Anyway this problem persist for the next 2 weeks and many trips to the computer place and just for point of referenc I went out and bought a home addition of Vista 32 bit and would you know it same problem they were trying to tell me it was whatever I loaded but I stood my ground like I said the other one has been going for 5 years no problem so I take it back they replace the mother board everything looks fine in the shop shut down restart load the programs I want shut down restar it all looks good so I get home load the drivers for the wireless key board and it restarts gues what happens it hangs up again in safe mode I can see everything and after starting and restarting a couple of times everything is good till you shut it off and it hangs up. I have spent 3 weeks at this 1200.00 dollars and im staring to get really mad what can I do is this a chip issue should I go with another chip or another board like I said unless I got detailed step by step instructions im not comfortable with the BIOS issue but I do believe I should be having any issues either

If any one can help it would be great because this is very frustrating

Oh sorry use email, pictures internet surfing music schoolwork and counterstrike

im not having any issues with the ateros nic now i just keep getting hung up at the start up screen when the bar is scrolling the bottom then it hangs up if i reboot to safe then shut it down it comes up okay but this is not right

not having anymore issues with the lan since i switched the board now it just hangs up when i reboot or start not always the majority of the time though sometimes it will light off after starting from last known best position and sometimes i have to shut it down cold for it to work.

if i were to go back to the shop that built this would i have a leg to stand on to change the board since they have already done this once or do i change the board and phenom

from what i can understand from reading other posts it is a problem with the board not the cpu is this correct if so what other board could i get to work with this chip

Im having a real hard time with this because i believe if you pay good money whatever it is should work or be replaced with something comparable that does

Okay guys and girls I know im not a regular but you have all been a great help im in the final turn of the race and need just a little more help.CPU voltage 1.264 I have managed to get the M3A and the 9500 working well in Vista all diagnostics are great i had 6 programs open and 5 videos running at the same time and avereaged about 30%usage on the CPU(this quad core thing is great) i put in the 601 bios update and all is good the only problem now is on a restar it still hangs uop but i can solve this by restaing going into safe mode and shutting down and then a full power off now this is only a problem if i download a program and it wants to restart . If i am up and done with machine for say the day do a normal shutdown and kill the power from the back when i boot back up no hang ups so i dont find this to be a big problem but the question is this is there a fix for this and is a shutdown/powerdown the same as a restart for a program down load Im almost at a state of happiness and just this last small issue would be great to cure or am i waiting for a further BIOS update to cure this im running VISTA32

Any comments or similar experiences would be great

THANKS THANKS THANKS

Peter

THANKS BITEME(peter)

No first hand experience with Vista BiteMe, and just barely able to figure out what I am doing on XP. A link with some issues discussed on another board I go to though. See Vista the nightmare.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum36.html

Edited by OhioFisherman

Hope your problems are solved soon, not fun not having a computer these days.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but MACs have come a long, long way. they can now run microsoft programs and have no problems with them at all. The new iMAC is amazing. I run OS X for graphics and also Office 2004 which includes Entourage e-mail service on my G4.

My kids (4) all had PC Hp and stuff but when they "went" I had a chance to pick up MACs (G4s) at work for next to nothing, ($50) and now they all have one (I have two) and love them.

They update themselves if you let them, which I do frequently. I truly injoy the music on mine which plays in the background, the radio has 294 streams and I can even pick up air traffic control on any airport I chose.

I've actually run wiring out to my yard and when I'm out there I just turn on the MAC pick what kind of music I/we want to listen to and away it goes.

Definetly will get an iMAC when the time comes.

Hope your problems are solved soon, not fun not having a computer these days.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but MACs have come a long, long way. they can now run microsoft programs and have no problems with them at all. The new iMAC is amazing. I run OS X for graphics and also Office 2004 which includes Entourage e-mail service on my G4.

My kids (4) all had PC Hp and stuff but when they "went" I had a chance to pick up MACs (G4s) at work for next to nothing, ($50) and now they all have one (I have two) and love them.

They update themselves if you let them, which I do frequently. I truly injoy the music on mine which plays in the background, the radio has 294 streams and I can even pick up air traffic control on any airport I chose.

I've actually run wiring out to my yard and when I'm out there I just turn on the MAC pick what kind of music I/we want to listen to and away it goes.

Definetly will get an iMAC when the time comes.

and you wont regret it either :)

G

Bought a laptop with Vista OS a year ago. It was a dog with the first two antivirus programs I installed. Finally found one it liked and Vista has perfomed like a champ.

First tried the free trial with Norton, then something else (don't remember) and then my Tech Guy installed one that's worked great. No problems. Norton and others weren't ready for Vista. The second one I installed was supposed to be designed for Vista and was free for the first year.

I just built a similar computer to yours. Used a AMD 9600 instead and 4X1 GB pc8500 of RAM. I'm running XP with SP2 instead of Vista with no apparent problems after some fine tuning. I have the same M3A ASUS board. Here's what I'd try.

Often a component will move or unseat itself during transport. Disconnect the power supply cord before you put your hand inside the computer.

1. Open the computer box and use only one stick of RAM instead of two. Reboot and see if it works. If it doesn't swap the sticks and try it again. Vista should work with 2GB. If one stick works and the other fails then it may be a RAM issue. Sometimes just reseating the RAM fixes it.

2. Recheck that all power plugs are fitted in correctly, all usb connections are correct and all case to motherboard connections are firm and correct. Check the IDE and/or SATA cable for a good fit. Be firm but gentle.

3. Reseat the video card.

4. Is the power supply generic? I've had issues with these and I simply won't use them. It may not have enough of a rating to deliver the high power demand on startup, or it may just be faulty. I always go with a name brand (lots of good ones out there).

Wrap the loose wires and cables with a cable tie. For no other reason than it looks good. I often will find a loose cable that way. Dollar store has smaller cable ties.

Is the hard drive new or are you recycling an old one? Average life of a HDD is about 5 years.

If you have the motherboard instruction manual, find out where the ram settings are in the bios. It may be set for 1033 MHz instead of 800 Mhz for your RAM. I had a similar problem with RAM timings a couple of years ago and it took me a couple of weeks to figure it out.

Lastly ASUS has a beautiful little application on its Motherboard Cd called ASUS Bios updater. Install it on your system. Launch it and it will fetch the most current BIOS and update it for you. Your Bios may have a glitch in it.

Check all the drivers in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management> Device manager.

Can't think of anything else.

muddler

When computer hangs up, try to select a C Prompt option (if available), if not hit F8 key while computer is starting to get into "Safe Mode", then select CPrompt.

When C:\ shows up type in "chkdsk" then hit enter and wait to see what happens.

It could fix problem and give you a report.

Edited by nofish4me

Thanks to all that have replied to this posting all tips are being taken into consideration also thanks to the back door poster you know who you are :thumbsup_anim: just finished updating that issue will let you know how it works out. i will keep you all posted

As far as APPLES go isnt that how ADAM landed in the merde :devil:

Peter