WD40 scent

KyleM

Now we all know this is an old legend so to speak but I have been having

a rather heated discussion on another board about it....the folks there arent

as nice as the ones around here.

Some are saying its a pollutant and against the regs under this.

(3) Subject to subsection (4), no person shall deposit or permit the deposit of a deleterious substance of any type in water frequented by fish or in any place under any conditions where the deleterious substance or any other deleterious substance that results from the deposit of the deleterious substance may enter any such water.

I have looked into it and turns out WD40 is very degradeable aswell as being non-carcinogenic.

Wouldnt losing a lure at the bottom of the lake, or outboard exhaust be considered a "deleterious substance"?

I couldnt care either way, I have tried it a few times on pork baits for pike.

It would be interesting to see weather it has any fact or truth to the myth, all I know is my Dad told me he caught trout on a cigarette but sprayed with WD-40 on many occasions. :lol: Then again that was when you'd be pressed to see another fisherman on the river and the fish never seen hardly any foreign baits.

Charlie White was probably the first guy to put a camera on his trolling lures,he did a show where he put 2 brand new lures behind his boat,1 had nothing on it and the other he would add some kind of scent....He even butted a smoking cigar out on 1 lure,in most cases the scented lure caught fish first,but the one I remember most was the one he dipped in the boats bilge water,with used oil......That one caught the most fish.....It's something in the oil,and used was better than new.....Sorry but I can't remember exactly what it was,but WD-40 has shark oil in it......TC and tight lines....Chuck....

A MINNOW LEAVES A SMALL TRAIL BEHIND IT AS IT SWIMS!! SCALES ,OIL , SMELL. IN THE RIVERS FISHIN I'VE BEEN TOLD SO MANY TIMES WHILE USING A SMALL TUBE TO SPRAY IT WITH WD 40. THE OIL IN IT LEAVES A TRAIL JUST LIKE A MINNOW DOES. SCENT WISE (CEMICAL COMPOUND) I DONT KNOW IF IT ATTRACTS FISH. BUT A MINISTRY BIO I KNOW SAID IT DOES ACT AS A VISUAL ATTRACTOR. NEVER TRIED OR USED IT MYSELF ( WHY ADD TO THE POLLUTANTS ALITTLE MORE) BUT I HAD TO ASK HIM FOR CURIOSITY SAKE.

HERRING OIL WILL DO U WONDERS!!! GET MIKES THICK BLUE STUFF!!!

Which is more noxious, WD40 or beer whiz? Which would ou rather drink a teaspoon of? How much of each go into our water?

Some Old Timers around here spray it on their hands to relieve Arthritis pain... heck!, you can even take it with you on your Honeymoon!!!

WD 40 is the nectar of the Mechanic Gods!!!

I'll pick WD 40 over beer whiz any day!

I'd say 10 minutes of riding your 2 stroke across a lake would be more than a lifetimes worth of WD40 pollutant so its probably a MOOT point.

Remember ... most of the two-stroke oil you mix with your gas gets spat out into the lake (in the older motors you could actually see it burping out) - nowadays it gets blown out with the propwash so its harder to spot ... but in my experience there is a definite (even if only psychologically produced) improvement when you spray your hands with it before fishin (I actually spray my whole reel with it .. the line then has a residual scent) ...

My freinds salmon charter boat that i crewed on for all those years,he tried it many times,and yes we did catch fish with the wd-40 scent on the lures but we also caught fish with no scent on them so we never did prove if it worked better than regular baitfish scent or not,i heard a long time ago,that one of the main ingredients in wd-40 is fish-oil,is that true ???? cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

"WD40 or beer whiz? Which would you rather drink a teaspoon of?"

AHHHHH neither !!!! Cant think up a reason I would ever have this as a choice ?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: But are we talking 18 year old virgin's beer whiz or ?????? nahh I'm sticking to my first choice NEITHER .

Dawg ya never fail to crack me up , now get out there and get us some more of your great soft water fishing pics and southern sunshine , as looking out my window at all this snow is getting me down .

Read this and see the answer....

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

I have heard from other sources that the formula was changed so it no longer has the fish attractant in it, that it used to. It also used to make a great flame thrower but it doesn't do that naymore either.

Edited by Canuck2fan