NF - Air Ambulance crashes after lift off from Temagami Heli-pad

irishfield

Not a good night for the lads on Friday.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_...oryNumber=30110

Feb 09, 2008 11:58 AM

THE CANADIAN PRESS and Toronto Star staff

TEMAGAMI, Ont. – An air ambulance helicopter crashed last night in northern Ontario, injuring the four people aboard, police said early Saturday morning.

The craft went down at the helicopter pad at Snake Lake near Temagami, about an hour north of North Bay.

At least two of the people aboard the helicopter had serious injuries, said Sgt. Todd Proulx. A spokesperson for Ornge, the company representing the paramedics on board the helicopter, said she believed the injuries to the four people weren't life-threatening.

The air ambulance, which was flying out of Sudbury, was headed to the scene of a snowmobile accident in the middle of Rib Lake.

Because of the crash, the snowmobiler was taken off the lake on a sled by the OPP and then transported to Temiskaming Hospital in New Liskeard with life-threatening injuries.

The occupants on the helicopter have also been taken to the Temiskaming Hospital.

No names have been released.

Transportation Safety Board officials are expected to inspect the scene today.

With the helicopter out of service, air ambulances from nearby regions will expand their coverage to include the Sudbury area.

Saw that on the news last night Wayne, pretty scary stuff.

Those ambulances fly directly over my house several times a day heading for the downtown Toronto hospitals and they've got a sound that's so distinctive, I know who it is long before I see them.

It's a good feeling knowing that those guys are there to help us when were injured on a remote hiway or way off the beaten path somewhere and inaccessible by road.

They do an incredible job helping the injured and it's sad to see them being injured themselves. Hopefully it all turns out good for them.

Sad news for sure. Makes one have lots of thoughts about those onboard.

Wayne, my first thought was about "Bush Pilot", any word from him?

Then I thought about "Moosebunk", flying to work, this time of year.

Then I wondered, why it always seems worse that there was a tragedy in the air, than a tragedy on the roads??

This also makes me think about my daughter, working towards being a flight attendant.

Oh well, can't dwell on it too much.

P.S. hope my post doesn't end this thread, like it seems to do to others.

Then I wondered, why it always seems worse that there was a tragedy in the air, than a tragedy on the roads??

No difference in accidents at all in my opinion, whether it's on the road, in the air or a boat on the water, it's just that air accidents are sometimes more "spectacular" when a large airplane with many passengers is involved and it usually attracts more media coverage.

Sad whenever bad stuff happens to innocent people anywhere.

Update relased by Walter at CHL safety today. CHL is the helicopter operator.

Update: Sunday 1400 EST

I have received permission from the pilots to release their names and medical situation:

PIC: Greg Harper

FO: Michael Bain

Greg sustained injuries typical of a helicopter crash, with a slight concussion, several broken ribs and a collapsed lung. His prognosis is good. He is recovering in hospital in Sudbury.

Michael suffered the most severe injuries with a broken back and a crushed verterbrae. After undergoing 6 hrs of surgery yesterday, he awoke this morning with full movement, was able to sit up in his hospital bed and even went for a walk down the hallway to see his wife and 11 month old daughter. He remains in the ICU in Toronto Sunnybrook Hospital.

Of the two medics, (whose names I cannot release as they do not work for us), one suffered a broken rib and some general brusing and the other also suffered some spinal injury, (without deficits) and is scheduled to undergo surgery within 48 hrs to remove bone fragments.

All 4 crew members are in good spirits, and given the nature of this accident, all CHL personnel , from the Company President down, are thrilled that the four are expected to make full recoveries. All four crew were wearing helmets.

The aircraft is in the process of being recovered.

The TSB is in control of the investigation and as we learn more, I will certainly share what I can.

The thought of the day is this:

Flying is serious business and can produce severe consequences when a flight does not work out as planned. I for one fully appreciate that it is important for all our crews to consider this truth every single day. I am so pleased that our crew appears to have made it through this event with a minimum of injuries in what can be an unforgiving occupation.

Godspeed to you all.

Walter

Thank you Wayne for the updates on this horrific accident...Michael Bain is a close friend of mine and I shutterd when i heard the news late saturday evening of these unfortunate circumstances.. Kudos to him and others (firemen, police)who put there own lives on the line on a daily basis daily to make sure we are all safe in the time of of need..I understand there was engine malfuntion and a special manouver on his part was made to land as softly as possible. Looks like ill be cleaning out his mom and dads driveway while they are being with him at Sunnybrooke.. It could have been alot worse.. Alot worse!! Wayne, can you elaborate on the manouver that a heli pilot must do in times of an emergency when engine fails while in the air? I have heard once the engine cuts out a helicopter will spin violently until it crashes to the ground.. But I hear he was haro to keep everyone as safe as he did..

Yep Cory's got that one, and I'm not a air beater pilot, I prefer stuff that glides. Not sure what they really did.. but sounds like you may be one of the first to find out sturgman. All I've got so far as that he knew he had a problem. How much he controlled it and how much was fate are still up in the air (pardon the pun). I think their biggest savour was they went into the trees on the West side of the pond. If they had of hit the ice... the outcome would have been MUCH different.