Looking for fly store in TO area that sells Caribbean fly patterns

scuro

Would anyone know of a good fly fishing store within an hour or two, that would stock flies for flats fishing?

Seriously scuro, your best bet is to find a local tackle shop down there and see what patterns they have tied up or are tying up. Buying anything up here won't truly reflect what you're going to need down there. When ya get there you can also ask local guides as to what they're throwing. They will tell you. Some of the guides Ive run into are some of the nicest people I've ever. Just talk fishing and I'm sure you'll get an ear-full as to what paterns were working for the bones that day. They're fisherman! They can't help talking fish. If you're a good with tying flies you could also just travel down with some basic gear and your press and go nuts the night before in the hotel.

FHR

Oh yeah, I second CH's suggestion of the spinning rod and the chugga bug. (Snook and red fish candy!)

Edited by FishHeadRic

Funny...... as of today they are looking for staff !

WILSON'S is Hiring !

Toronto's only flyfishing store is looking for more staff.

If you want to work in a fly shop now is your chance !

While retail experience is preferred the only things

necessary are a love of flyfishing, a desire to work

and a focus on providing great customer service.

Please forward resumes to our store manager Bill at

[email protected] or call us at 416-869-3474.

WILSON'S

199 Queen E. @ George

Toronto, Ont M5A 1S2

416-869-3474 / 877-347-4460

www.wilsonstoronto.com

Edited by irishfield

CH knows his stuff.. got me onto fish down there (in run of bad luck, camera with report worth pics went missing)..

the only extra piece of advise i'd give would be to leave your good rods at home.. two of my buddies had their rods go missing..

and the tarpon seemed to love my lil cleo blue & silver (NNB) that had a tiny plastic squid on a single hook.. rest its soul that last i saw her she was firmly embedded in a tarpons mouth, while i was standing there with broken line..

CH knows his stuff.. got me onto fish down there (in run of bad luck, camera with report worth pics went missing)..

the only extra piece of advise i'd give would be to leave your good rods at home.. two of my buddies had their rods go missing..

and the tarpon seemed to love my lil cleo blue & silver (NNB) that had a tiny plastic squid on a single hook.. rest its soul that last i saw her she was firmly embedded in a tarpons mouth, while i was standing there with broken line..

I was wondering how you made out!!

Nice to see you saw some poons...

those damn fish have my number! 0 for 5 lifetime.. heading to the Keys in April to change my luck!

Wilson's is definately open! I drive by it every day! They are located right across the street from the Moss Park Armoury on Queen Street, near Jarvis... FRH... they moved over the summer.

HH

Yup. Give em a call... 416-869-3474. They've got a great selection, and the staff is very knowledgeable. Don't forget your Lefty's deceivers and crab patterns. GOOD LUCK!!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

ok some more research...

you are going to an amazing place for all flats species. Bonefish, tarpon, snook and permit.

For

For TARPON here are some suggestions Spinning: Storm Chug bug ( blue and silver), DOA baitbuster

http://www.doalures.com/images/baitbuster-deep.jpg, 4 or 6" storm swim shads ( white), Yozuri Crystal Minnow ( black and Silver), DOA terror Eyes, zara spook

Flies : Tarpon toad, Lemon drop, cockroach,

SNOOK : caught my first and lost a few on a 5" white plastic jerkbait rigged with a 5/0 worm hook. White bucktail jigs work well too ( thye catch everything as well)

Fly:deceiver

BONEFISH: small skimmer jigs, small shrimp imitation baits

Fly:crazy charlie

PERMIT : small crab on a circle hook if you can find a live crab, if not GULP! makes some ncie little ones. Always worth having baits for permit if you see them on the flats.

fly: merkin crab

***Now if you want to get crazy your area has a good population of Bull Sharks. Not sure how much gear you are bringing but if you want to have a war with a fish here is your chance. Catch a cuda and butterfly it , send it out with a 10/0 hook. Make sure you use a leader at least 6-8 feet long ( about as long as the sharks you are catching because if thier skin rubs on your line they will break you off). Stiff rod and a reel that can hold a few hundred yards of line... ***

Fish by a river mouth with a fresh dead cuda and you will see fish... if you can get a live jack as well ( 2-5 pounds) hook em in the back put a nice slit in the side and they will bring the sharks in

scuro

If I may say so, I think you are asking a bit too much. But let us give it a try. There are a number of possibilities.

Tie your own

If you tie flies, you should be able to tie some of your own flies. You can easily find out which flies might be good for you. You then can find the recipes for the flies - the recipes are not complex. Do not forget, you would be able to get help on this site.

Henry W

There is a program on TV on Global on Saturday morning at about 9:00am. The name of the program is "Fishing the Flats" and the name of the guy is Henry Waszczuk and his web site is

http://fishingtheflats.com/

He lives in St Catherines - I think . If you were to get a hold of him, he might be able to give you some help.

Wilson’s

Give Wilson's in Toronto a contact. One never knows. Of anyone in the Toronto area within a 3 hour radius, I would say that your best odds of finding what you need would be Wilson’s.

WILSON'S

199 Queen E. @ George

Toronto, Ont M5A 1S2

416-869-3474 / 877-347-4460

http://www.wilsonstoronto.com/

FT-FF CLUB

Contact some fly tying/ fly fishing clubs and ask them by email of your problem. You never know if some club members are going south to do some “fishing the flats”. If they do go south, they would be able to help you. The clubs do not have to be from a town that is close to where you live. Remember, you are desperate. All you are looking for is some HOPE and some GOOD LUCK.

Orvis, Manchester, Vermont

They are located at

http://www.orvis.com/

Take a look at their website and they do carry flies that might be suitable for permit, snook, bonefish, drum and etc.

You will be able to find all info on their site.

Good luck.

Carp-starter

I went to Wilson's and indeed the store is open. A very nice store with good selection although prices are a tad on the high side. I wasn't going to get a bargain so I was very happy with the service and the flies I picked up.

IMGP0006.jpg

Edited by scuro