Atv Ramps for your pickup

raysfish2005

Hey People

Ok so the wife lets me buy an atv as long as i dont keep bugging her in the morning to go jigging....wink

So I'm the proud owner of a 89 used yammaha 250, now i dont want to buy another trailer to pull this thing around, I'd like to drive it right into the box of my truck, since im now banned fron driving anything into any other type of box...........lol

Looked at basspro, princess auto and crappy can, can any reqaumend what they like to use to get there atv into there pickup box?

Let me know and if you have a pic as well.

Rp Jigging with the fishes!!!

Prefer using the ramps over pulling a trailer. My ATV/sled stays out of the road grime and no hassles pulling a trailer. I know how Terry feels about the falling off thing but with a good set of safety chains on the ramp going up and down them a few times you will soon see how easy it becomes. We have modified an old aluminum ramp to accept a sled with carbide runners as well as an ATV. Its so old I couldn't tell you what make it is. Get one as long as you can that will still fit inside your pickup box with the tailgate closed. The longer it is the less angle you will have.

I learned the hard way regarding the safety of using ramps!!...being the cheapo :rolleyes: and not listening to my better half, I decided to make my own out of pressure treated wood...it seemed to work ok but the truck had to be on really level ground...last fall we were coming back from a trip and being in a hurry, I tried loading the ATV on a not too level area with a cargo container on the back of the ATV which had my deep cycle batteries in it for the trolling motor....just as the bike got to the top of the truck box it went for a 360 with me on it!! :stretcher: I could of very well killed myself!! I was lucky to escape with a few bruised ribs and scrapes....The front end of the bike was damaged pretty bad!!

As soon as I got back home I ordered PROPER ramps and bought a new bike :clapping: .....I have used them many times since then and I feel very confident using them..I orderedthe 90" long ramps...here's some pics of the ramps beside the "homemade" :wallbash: ones.....

I bought them from Royal Distributing in Guelph and them delivered to the house....

http://www.royaldistributing.com/ShoppingC...2008%2F330.html

2z6xg82.jpg

verghk.jpg

This is what I use.

6-ft. Galvanized Steel Ramps

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images...50_CC_32111.jpg

note sure if this image thing will work, but anyway, not keen on hinged ramps, kiss rule.

true get as long as practical and tie them to bumper when unloading.

Used 2x10 (cheap) but stopped before I really hurt myself.

The F-L has nice folding aluminum ramp, but I'm scard to use them, looks to nice, easy to steal.

My 5 cent

Like usual, go to Princess Auto on Dixie, they have a variety to cover all the different weight capacities, remember you have to add your weight to the machine while loading/unloading, and they come with the saftey straps or chains. Oh, and not to forget, as much as some people will argue otherwise, tailgate cables are ment to hold the tailgate, not ATV's with a rider. Best to use your trailer

Edited by Fisherman

I learned the hard way regarding the safety of using ramps!!...being the cheapo :rolleyes: and not listening to my better half, I decided to make my own out of pressure treated wood...it seemed to work ok but the truck had to be on really level ground...last fall we were coming back from a trip and being in a hurry, I tried loading the ATV on a not too level area with a cargo container on the back of the ATV which had my deep cycle batteries in it for the trolling motor....just as the bike got to the top of the truck box it went for a 360 with me on it!! :stretcher: I could of very well killed myself!! I was lucky to escape with a few bruised ribs and scrapes....The front end of the bike was damaged pretty bad!!

As soon as I got back home I ordered PROPER ramps and bought a new bike :clapping: .....I have used them many times since then and I feel very confident using them..I orderedthe 90" long ramps...here's some pics of the ramps beside the "homemade" :wallbash: ones.....

I bought them from Royal Distributing in Guelph and them delivered to the house....

2z6xg82.jpg

verghk.jpg

This didn't happen up at Lake Joe did it?

I saw a guy do it once, then get back on the bike, and do it again!!! Hope that wasn't you.....this guy was pretty hurtin.....lucky he didn't kill himself!!

I use a trailer for my sled.....I don't mind hauling it around.....you get used to it. On and off in 3 seconds!

Sinker

I had no option at the time when I bought my quad, I needed ramps, quickly, bought the 2 single ramps from CTC, OK for the couple weeks I needed them, then modified them.

Used some Cantruss, and bolted them together, in one single unit.

Get the trifold ramps, they are the ticket.

The homemade ones wont give you any trouble if you can find some sort of hill to park at the bottom of to even out the angles.

but those ramps look pretty soild TroutnMuskieHunter, I like how they fold as well.

The new ones are great!! I paid a bit more than the ones at CTC ($240 including shipping + tx) but they are heavy duty and I can fold them and put them away behind the seats in the cab of my truck.....they are 7 1/2' long when opened up and they are arched so that the bike starts straightening up before it hits the back of the tailgate...each ramp comes with a ratchet strap that I attacked to the receiver of the trailer hitch on the truck..this stops the ramps from sliding out...

This didn't happen up at Lake Joe did it?

I saw a guy do it once, then get back on the bike, and do it again!!! Hope that wasn't you.....this guy was pretty hurtin.....lucky he didn't kill himself!!

I use a trailer for my sled.....I don't mind hauling it around.....you get used to it. On and off in 3 seconds!

Sinker

LOL Sinker...no it wasn't me..once was enough for me!! I ended up taking the time to move the truck to the bottom of a hill and driving on with no issues...i can't believe that guy did it twice :wallbash::wallbash::stretcher:

Well the saga end's

I stopped into Princess auto and took a good look at what they had, i was just going to buy the ramp end and buy 2x8 planks 7 ft long and make some up.

I found a wide selection from good to bad, as i decided to still go with my original plan i see a pair of ramps out of there box with some scuffs, i manage to find a kids and asked if these are on sale, he in formed me they are $179.00.............ouch i say, my first girlfriend did'nt cost that much!!!

He laughs and say's he might have a pair in the back for $89.00, go get them i say, he comes back with a pair in the box 72x9x3 for $89.00....perfect

As i carry them to cash the girl scans them $49.00.....................sold with a wink and a big smile.

Nice, do you think that would work for a self propelled snow blower? The one I have is too heavy too lift so when I go try to be a good son, I end up with a sore back from shoveling for eleventeen hours instead of 30 minutes max with the blower.

And to all who recommended the blower, thank you, what an awesome piece of machinery.

Charles

get some that will give you good traction

i bought a set of aluminum ramps from royal distributing that work well if dry but as soon as they get wet are worthless, get rid of them in a hurry

Strange :unsure: .....I've used mine in rain, snow, muddy/greasy tires....never had an issue like you're describing

You mean the ones at the bottom right of this page???

LOL...I guess those would be slippery when wet :stretcher: ....those look like a good idea to use to keep the leaves from fallin' in my eavestrough :clapping:

I have the ones further up on the right hand side.. P/N 12-120653