Artificial bait perching suggestions?

tbayboy

Hey guys and gals. Got a question for all the Simcoe experts out there about using non live bait based on what I tried last weekend.

Last Saturday PatrickG and I went out for the day and mixed deadsticking minnows and small jigging spoons tipped with gulp maggots. Though we didn't have a great day we did ok but the spoon/maggot combo was seriously outfishing the minnows. To be fair I didn't give any action to the minnows but even when the minnows were working they were being nibbled on whereas the spoon was getting slammed.

So Sunday I decided to test 2 theories: 1 - the afternoon bite (3-6) is almost as good as the morning without all that 5am alarm crap and 2 - going on the ice with no live bait at all.

Well - the afternoon theory seemed to hold out as I got the fish TV down the first hold around 3ish and from then til I left around 6 I had no problem finding fish after moving a couple times (ie same amount of hunting as in the am til I found a spot that was full of 'em). BUT they wanted nothing to do with the artificials. Sure I landed a few but most of the afternoon was spent watching the little buggers stare at my spoons/jigs/jigging raps/bare hooks with gulp minnows, etc. I tried hard jigs, lite shakes, dead sticking but nothing seemed to really interest them. I was tempted to think it was just a 'time of day' thing but a family not 20 feet away using minnows was just slaying them.

One thing I did notice - when I put on the gulp alive minnow tails and dropped em down I almost immediately had 3 or 4 perch come running up to check it out. Then they just stared at it regardless of what I did. I don't know if it was the smell of the minnows (god that stuff reeks) or the activity of the weight dropping down that attracted them but it happened every time with the gulp minnows and only a few times with the spoons.

So - for all you perching gods out there. What do you think I should try next? Was it just a bad day or do you guys have suggestions on other things to try (I was using mostly jigging spoons with maggots, jigging rapalas, drop shotted plain hooks with 1" tail bits from gulp alive shiners). I'm not against live bait or anything but it just bugs me that I had a lousy time without it when I know I should be able to do just fine.

PS If you see this blue suit out there with a face glued to the fish TV come on by and say hello!

2207837036_8f894b40ca.jpg

hey sean..

i cought a good number of eaters on berkley micro tubes (think they're called atomic tubes now).. white seemed to be the color of choice.. didnt have a FishTV to see how many were down there though, that didnt bite..

fishing them off a drop shot, with a hook about 3/4' from the weight, and another about 2 1/2' up from that..

had to hook them as close to the 'tentacle' thingies as possible, as the fish seemed to be pecking at that end..

we should hook up for a day out there..

hey sean..

i cought a good number of eaters on berkley micro tubes (think they're called atomic tubes now).. white seemed to be the color of choice.. didnt have a FishTV to see how many were down there though, that didnt bite..

fishing them off a drop shot, with a hook about 3/4' from the weight, and another about 2 1/2' up from that..

had to hook them as close to the 'tentacle' thingies as possible, as the fish seemed to be pecking at that end..

we should hook up for a day out there..

Hmm I've got those micro tubes, used 'em in the summer and for some reason didn't think to bring them. Will definitely try that out, did you get a lot on the top hook, 2 1/2' seems pretty high but what do I know :)

Anytime you want to head out you know I'm up for it.

Clamp-it: the chair is actually one of those HT one map flip over deals so probably not the same since you've already that Tarpus Maximus taking care of the wind. Good old cheap sled and bin though, can't go wrong.

GCD: I know minnows work but I'm lazy and cheap :)

I use a small spoon with a 4-6" long 4lb test dropper line tied to a small tear drop jig tipped with shrimp or minnow head.Jig and pause is a must.The flash of the spoon draws them in and usually the more agressive fish will hammer the spoon.If they are in a neuteral or negetive mood they will usually swim over and suck in the small baited jig during the pause.This has worked for me countless times when the bite slowed but the fish were there.

I had some luck on the weekend with a chartruese mini-tube but only used it for a short period of time then stuck with small plain hooks with minnows.

Also, when the bite was hot in the afternoon had some luck with white Berkely Gulp waxies on my upper hook which was only maybe 18" off bottom and about 9 inches higher than my bottom hook. Again, didn't use a lot since they were pounding the minnows but, if I had more time to experiment, would try that again.

Greg

pitch that tv down the hole, and buy a flasher. The tvs are only good watching fish, not so much catching them.

1) 2lb fluoro.

2) jiggin spoon i someitmes use a large pike sized spoon just to stir up silt, and put perch on the feed.

3) mini rap, tip a front hook with a powerbait if it makes you feel more confident.

4) and most important... micro bug of some sort, heavy heads are best, tip with gulp waxie, or as mentioned a chunk of honey worm. This will produce most of your fish, but your biggest will come on the spoon.

move a lot. stir up the bottom, and the most critical piece of knowledge you can ever have about perch fishing is that perch like to chase. a very slow methodical lift (not a jig) from bottom up will catch most of your fish. that and moving. i've often seen perch on the flasher that have their bellies in the dirt, and won't take a bait. I don't waste any time with them. no more than 15 minutes then scoot. therer are just to many perch in simcoe to waste time on ones that aren't active, 3 holes later and you'll be on fressh fish. good luck, bait in simcoe for pannies is just a mindset. a lot of dudes waste a lot of cash on bait, and the hassle of carting it around. get yor confidence up and you'll never look back.

http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Sonar

I don`t really fish for perch anymore, small blade baits like those in the link work, silver buddies, vibees. Heddon used to make a smaller one, like 1/8 ounce single treble, don`t know if it`s still available. Small jigging Rapala, small tubes.

Hmm I've got those micro tubes, used 'em in the summer and for some reason didn't think to bring them. Will definitely try that out, did you get a lot on the top hook, 2 1/2' seems pretty high but what do I know :)

Anytime you want to head out you know I'm up for it.

Clamp-it: the chair is actually one of those HT one map flip over deals so probably not the same since you've already that Tarpus Maximus taking care of the wind. Good old cheap sled and bin though, can't go wrong.

GCD: I know minnows work but I'm lazy and cheap :)

ya man the top hook was getting a lot of the bigger ones..

i'll send ya a PM

I've found that colour actually does make a significant difference. Been in a situation where we have two holes drilled, side by side, no more than two feet apart. The guy using the blue and chrome/silver jiggin Rap would out catch 3 to 1 the guy right beside him with a different colour.

There are times when the Fire Tiger will out fish the blue and silver, but by in large, blue and silver kills 'em!

I also second the suggestion re the camera... leave it on shore! You should be moving way too much to be bogged down with a camera, minnows, dead stick etc...

I've found my best success comes from drilling many holes and working them until they don't net any results. If I don't get a bite in 2 minutes, next hole please! There is simply no reason to finesse perch, it's a numbers game.

Also, start the day, if you manage to get out early, shallow and work your way deeper as the day progresses. I then fish the holes I made early in the day, on my way back in.

HH