Mortality Rate of Catch-and-Release

Ramble

On another thread there was some discussion about fish mortality during catch and release. This is a report for the MNR. It's a really informative read and covers all aspects of the fish catching process. Definatly worth your time.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/fishing/..._guidelines.pdf

It's in a PDF format.

-Ramble

1. Novice hook removal is my big peeve!!! I've seen more C&R fish killed this way than any other. :wallbash:

"You can't get the hook out of that Bass???... go catch Bluegills until you learn how to remove the hook quickly and safely!!!" :angry:

2. A lengthy dialogue or monologue while holding the fish out of the water is another... Shut Yer Damn Sausage Smoker and put the fish back in the water!

3. Slime removal is something else that bugs me too! "You wanna hug that fish?... take all of your clothes off first!!!"... then we'll see how much slime you want to take off that fish.

Edited by Greencoachdog

I've been fishing barbless for maybe three seasons now (except when using bait).

Single easiest method to ensure the fish gets back in the water fast.

Unless a fish is really deeply hooked, I don't even need pliers, just give the hook a wiggle and it generally pops right out.

I thought it would be a good post for everyone.

Too often it seems I see people "man-handling" fish before they are released. Sometime it's unavoidable, and sometimes its the "professionals" who should know better. Doing things like holding big fish vertically by the gill only to later release them, is not good for the fish at all. I don't know why anyone does it.

Pictures look so much better when the fish is horizontal anyway. A lot of stress that fish experiance is simply due a lack of knowledge of the fishermans part. There seems to be a lack of general information that you can only learn from other experiance fisherman, or reports like these.

One of my teachers at Flemming once said "I don't understand why people only hold bass by the jaw? Do you want to be held up by your jaw? NO! Give the fish some support!" He has a point.

In my mind it's simply a respect thing. Respect for the fish, and for the resource as a whole. I take a certain pride in the knowledge that most of the fish I release will survive. I love knowing that the trophies are still where I caught them.

-Ramble

1. Novice hook removal is my big peeve!!! I've seen more C&R fish killed this way than any other. :wallbash:

"You can't get the hook out of that Bass???... go catch Bluegills until you learn how to remove the hook quickly and safely!!!" :angry:

2. A lengthy dialogue or monologue while holding the fish out of the water is another... Shut Yer Damn Sausage Smoker and put the fish back in the water!

3. Slime removal is something else that bugs me too! "You wanna hug that fish?... take all of your clothes off first!!!"... then we'll see how much slime you want to take off that fish.

What a fine example of erudition on how to release fish...perfectly salty and peppered. :devil:

Edited by scuro