Tragedy To Come ?

Entropy

After reading,

http://www.nugget.ca/webapp/sitepages/cont...name=Local+News

I’m worried that this year might be full of ice related accidents and tragedies.

Can you recall some ‘notable’ problems with ice in the last 5 years.....?

Was it two years ago when all the cars and trucks went through the ice on Simcoe, right near shore?

Entropy

Guest mistyriver1

mistyriver1,

was that last year?

why did that happen.... simply too thing of ice for the weight, or did the water level drop and .....

Entropy

Yes, that was last year. I didn't see it happen but took this picture as we came in from fishing. I think MuskyBill has some more. There were two many cars parked there for that time of year. Don't know about the auger story, like I said this was what we walked in and saw.

Yup, that was Gilford last year.

Jan706010Small-1.jpg

I heard the same story about the auger, but who really knows, maybe just an 'urban legend'.

I knew you had some more pics Billy !! Yours were obviously taken after mine.

the story about someone making a hole with an auger is true! i don't know if it was new or if it was a power auger but there was indeed a 6 or 8" hole amongst the parked cars on that day.

i was walking into shore after fishing for the morning and noticed water on the ice near the cars. closer inspection showed water flowing up through the fresh auger hole. guess the weight of the cars coupled with all of the water on the ice was too much.

i'd hate to be stuck with the tow bill for something like that.

Pigeon troller has the right answer, to many nitwits practicing their parking like it's Walmart. The ice at a given thickness can only support X amount of weight spread over a limited area, beyond that, I don't care if there's holes or not, you will sink. It's called Physics.

I copied the following from:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html

Ice safety tips

Before venturing out on a frozen lake or pond keep in mind:

There is no such thing as 100 percent safe ice!

Recommended minimum ice thickness

Recommended ice thickness for: people - 4 inches; snowmobiles - 5 inches; cars or small pickups - 8 to 12 inches; medium pickups - 12 to 15 inches. Ice 2 inches thick or less: stay off! 4" of new clear ice is the minimum thickness for travel on foot

5" is minimum for snowmobiles and ATVs

8"- 12" for cars or small trucks

(Remember that these thicknesses are merely guidelines for new, clear, solid ice. Many factors other than thickness can cause ice to be unsafe.)

Check for known thin ice areas with a local resort or bait shop.

Test the thickness yourself using an ice chisel, ice auger or even a cordless 1/4 inch drill with a long bit.

Refrain from driving on ice whenever possible.

If you must drive a vehicle, be prepared to leave it in a hurry--keep windows down, unbuckle your seat belt and have a simple emergency plan of action you have discussed with your passengers.

Stay away from alcoholic beverages.

Even "just a couple of beers" are enough to cause a careless error in judgment that could cost you your life. And contrary to common belief, alcohol actually makes you colder rather than warming you up.

Don't "overdrive" your snowmobile's headlight.

At even 30 miles per hour, it can take a much longer distance to stop on ice than your headlight shines. Many fatal snowmobile through-the-ice accidents occur because the machine was travelling too fast for the operator to stop when the headlamp illuminated the hole in the ice.

Wear a life vest under your winter gear.

Or wear one of the new flotation snowmobile suits. And it's a good idea to carry a pair of ice picks that may be home made or purchased from most well stocked sporting goods stores that cater to winter anglers. It's amazing how difficult it can be to pull yourself back onto the surface of unbroken but wet and slippery ice while wearing a snowmobile suit weighted down with 60 lbs of water. The ice picks really help pulling yourself back onto solid ice. CAUTION: Do NOT wear a flotation device when travelling across the ice in an enclosed vehicle!

DNR News:

12/04/2006: Make a set of ice rescue claws Full story

More DNR News Releases

What if a companion falls through thin ice?

* Keep calm and think out a solution.

* Don't run up to the hole. You'll probably break through and then there will be two victims.

* Use some item on shore to throw or extend to the victim to pull them out of the water such as jumper cables or skis, or push a boat ahead of you.

* If you can't rescue the victim immediately, call 911. It's amazing how many people carry cellphones.

* Get medical assistance for the victim. People who are subjected to cold water immersion but seem fine after being rescued can suffer a potentially fatal condition called "after drop" that may occur when cold blood that is pooled in the body's extremities starts to circulate again as the victim starts to re-warm.

What if YOU fall in?

Try not to panic. Instead, remain calm and turn toward the direction you came from. Place your hands and arms on the unbroken surface of the ice (here's where the ice picks come in handy.) Work forward on the ice by kicking your feet. If the ice breaks, maintain your position and slide forward again. Once you are lying on the ice, don't stand. Instead, roll away from the hole. That spreads out your weight until you are on solid ice. This sounds much easier than it really is to do.

The best advice is don't put yourself into needless danger by venturing out too soon or too late in the season. No angler, no matter how much of a fishing enthusiast, would want to die for a crappie.

For more information on ice safety contact the MN DNR and ask for our free ice safety publications, which include the brochures, "Danger, Thin Ice" and "Hypothermia the Cold Facts" and the wallet-sized reference card and 11X14 posters titled, "Minimum Recommended Ice Thicknesses." Metro (651) 296-6157 or toll free outside the metro area 1-888-646-6367 or email the Information Center at [email protected].

Just checked weather history..... The last 10 days leading into the new year for Barrie was...

Dec 22 +1.6C low -12c

Dec 23 +1.7c low +0.1c

Dec 24 +2.8c low +0.4c

Dec 25 +2.1c low +0.2c

Dec 26 +0.3c low -5.1c

Dec 27 -0.8c low -7.9c

Dec 28 +0.1c low -1c

Dec 29 +0.2c low -5.7c

Dec 30 -5.7c low -12.3c

Dec 31 -7.4c low -10.4c

The first 5 days of Jan averaged 0c for the high and -4C at night. Not really quality ice forming temps!

With weather like that....jeez... :dunno: