Cougar Release !? Near My House !?

Entropy

I have an answer back from the president of the Ontario Puma Foundation.

"Hi Pam

These rumours are the biggest thing since sliced bread and probably one of the most widespread pieces of gossip you will ever hear.

Pumas are indigenous to Ontario. They have always been here but in the 1800s they were persecuted to almost extinction. Over the past 100 years they have slowly regained their range and due to the large deer population they appear healthier than ever.

The deer population in Ontario is also healthier as a result of the pumas being around. The deer become genetically stronger and the genetically weaker ones are weaned out and as a result antler size and deer size become larger.

I have been studying pumas for 30 years in Ontario. The first reports of pumas in the Janetville area came to me in 1982. This population of pumas from what I have gathered are now into their fourth or fifth generation of animals from Janetville to Bethany, Little Britain, Bobcaygeon, Goose Lake, Lake Dalrympal, Ganaraska Forest, Dunsford, and Omeemee.

Pumas have been in the highlands longer than they have called them the highlands. I knew a trapper in the area around Moore Falls who used to collect data for me while out on his trap lines. This was so long ago that I don't even know if he is alive any more. I have data for that area from 1955 and pumas are still quite well and alive in the area.

The OPF has an education programme in place and has also recognized and covered the livestock issue in the Recovery Strategy and Management Plan. All the information is on our website - it just has to be found. The OPF is an organization made from all types of stakeholders. Biologist, zoologist, hunters, trappers, naturalist, livestock owners, environmentalists, farmers, etc, etc. The entire Strategy and Management Plan has been put together from input from everyone.

Stuart Kenn, President

Ontario Puma Foundation"

I hope this clears things up.

If anyone sees a cougar, please let me know, and TAKE A PICTURE! :)

Pam

• 1 month later...

I did a podcast interview (#059) on Novemeber 22/2007 with well known trapper Todd Griffin in Niagara area. He was hired by the MNR to investigate cougar sightings in the area.

There was also an attack on a horse in Wellandport area.

Just adding to the info but you can check it out at www.rippleoutdoors.com episode#059

cut and paste this http://www.rippleoutdoors.com/category/podcast

Edited by ripple

i saw a cougar this fall while bird hunting, south of timmins in the kenogamissi falls area, drove prety close to it on my ATV, i couldn't believe it, i was going down a long straight stretch of road and could see something at the other end, just standing there, as i was getting closer i couldn't tell what it was, but i got within 50 yards of it and could see it really good, then it just turned around a slowly walked into the bush,

i wish i had my camera cause i think i could have got a pic.

i told the mnr about it and they didn't seem to care, they gave me a little notepad and told me to write what i saw and leave it on the counter,

i told the mnr about it and they didn't seem to care, they gave me a little notepad and told me to write what i saw and leave it on the counter,

They were probably interested. It's just that it might have been out of fuel range for them.

Guest gbfisher
i saw a cougar this fall while bird hunting, south of timmins in the kenogamissi falls area, drove prety close to it on my ATV, i couldn't believe it, i was going down a long straight stretch of road and could see something at the other end, just standing there, as i was getting closer i couldn't tell what it was, but i got within 50 yards of it and could see it really good, then it just turned around a slowly walked into the bush,

i wish i had my camera cause i think i could have got a pic.

guess it wasnt that hungry then.... :stretcher:

Was a while ago I was younger than , Had a couger pounce on me from a bar stool dragged me back to her/its lair in a cab ,and proceeded to claw and bite me all over, after my playing dead from taking such a severe mauling and her/it falling a sleep I made my way safely home .

Funny,

My wife and I were talking about this very subject between Christmas and New Years.

My own feelings are that Eastern |Cougars are a Native species and that we have to learn to live with them, unlike our history for the last couple of centuries of killing things that cause us minor inconviences...

The Red(Eastern Wolf), the experiment to irradicate coyotes, the cougars(last one shot in Ontario was near St. Catharines - 1908).

I am glad to see them back, has anyone else noticed that the black bears, moose, porcupines etc., have also started to return to there southern range.....

This is because there are fewer unethical hunters...please note UNETHICAL.... 30 years ago conservation was a principal embrassed by very few, today more and more people take conservation of our resources very seriously.

Also, for all the farmers who complain about heavy crop losses from deeer, maybe a healthy cougar population would help keep the deer herds in check.

Just my thoughts.

Funny this topic should come up. I got an email the other day from my uncle that went like this:

[Here is a photo of a cougar killed in Steeleville, Mo. The guy who shot it is 6 foot tall and weighs about 220 lbs. He was in a deer stand and saw the cat pass him downwind. He then saw it pass him upwind. When the cat passed him again (closer this time) downwind, he knew that it was hunting him. So, BOOM!!

After viewing this, do you still feel safe in the woods? [/i]

Big_Cat.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize they grew that big! I think if I was in the bush and thought something that size was hunting me I would seriously think about protecting myself. I wouldn't want to kill anything without a good reason but after it attacked it would be too late and with a crossbow you'd only get one shot.

They are the ultimate predator.....that's why there aren't many pictures of them.

All cats are sneaky like that.....how many lynx do you see? There's lots of them around.

I have no doubt there are more than most people think around these parts. I saw what I think was a cougar years ago at Lingham lake. I'm not 100%, but it had a real long tail and the colour/size of a deer.......what else could it have been?

I"d only shoot one as a last resort.........but you'd prolly never know it was coming anyways. Not something I'd be worried about when I'm out in the woods......they know your there, and stay away. I'm sure they have enough to eat.

Sinker