Respecting Our Enviroment

nautifish

It is sad when we see people with no regard for the natural environment. Since anglers are the most visible near the water we are the ones who usually are blamed for it.

It is important that we be seen doing things that affect the outdoors in a positive way. If someone here ( a member..mods are already way too busy) were to take the reigns on organizing clean-up days, I'm sure OFC could assist with web space and time.

Since anglers are the most visible near the water we are the ones who usually are blamed for it.

I know it is not just fisherman Rick. But i filled a plastic carrier bag full of just fishing line today. There were tim horton cups every where,Plastic bottles, I even have on video a pile of ciggarette ends that had been dumped by the water. Unbeleviable, Broken plastic , Plastic bags. THE LIST GOES ON.

And thats very nice of you to offer free webspace & time, Thankyou so much.

Maybe what we need to do is try and get a volunteer leader for certain ereas and try and get so many people togeather at different tribs?

Great thread! I think the ideas being mentioned are wonderful and they would be awesome if we actually do something. I also nominate Nauti for overall leader!

A simple thing really, but imagine if each and everyone of us took a garbage bag with us each time and did our best to fill it before leaving......

A little free advertisement and good PR if we were to all wear some OFC gear too!

blyght

Amo, the common "clean up your garbage" and "respect the enviornment" rants are always well recieved amongst the angling comunity.

I do think though that what you're seeing in your video isn't quite the same as littering. I don't think an angler stood there and peeled 100 feet of line of and tossed it on the ground. I think it's more likely the after effect of someone getting busted of by a fish or from a tangle on a long drift. The dead line you're seeing eventually gets tangled in sticks and debris and washes up on the bank when creek levels flucuate. Combine that with with a high pressure trib like the one you are walking and you'll unfortunately see it a lot. It's good to pick it up like you did....it happens to us all.

Timmies cups and worm ontainers are what urk me the most.

I do think though that what you're seeing in your video isn't quite the same as littering. I don't think an angler stood there and peeled 100 feet of line of and tossed it on the ground.

I dissagree Markus. I do not beleive for one second that all the line i picked up was from just fisherpeople getting broke off. I think some of it was left their changing setups & getting broke off what ever,and they could not be bothered to put it in there [pockets or a bag carry it out and dipose of it the proper way.

Way to much of it.

But that is besides the point, The point of this thread is people need to take better care and have more respect. Did anyone else bother to pick it up and take it out? Do you think that line had only been sat there for a short time>? Do you think no other persons stumbled across that mess aswell as the rest of the crap i saw on my walks before i came across it? I am thinking that yes they probably did come across it. I know because the footprints in the mud before i got there told me so. & where was it still?

Amo, the common "clean up your garbage" and "respect the enviornment" rants are always well recieved amongst the angling comunity.

& I sure hope it is not allways just well recieved amongst the angling community. :glare:

Happy fishing :D:Gonefishing: * where is my duck>? :P lol

Edited by nautifish

Yea I know what it feels like to sit or stand in someone elses trash. Im no goody too shoes but I have to put on a pair of gloves and pick up Butts/Beer Cans and Caps etc. I just cant stand sitting there at a camp fire with a beer and looking at Garbage around me. It Irks me, seems I carry back more than what I came in. Also Sh33333t paper, at least bury it. I always carry a bucket/Garbage bag inside and its my instant throne. Of course that goes out with the rest of my garbage. By the way that music sucks in the video. gave me flash backs of last Canada day in Wasaga Beach seeing all those Italian and non Canadian Flags. Thats another rant though

It is anglers that leave trash behind, hook packs, float packs, old roe containers, worm containers, etc.

I think it's time hefty deposits are put on everything, $5 deposit on a worm container or timmies cup. I guarantee you see a lot more people picking up these items for the cash deposit, and a lot less people tossing these things away since it would be the equivalent of throwing money away.

Smart solutions are the key :)

Tony

Great thread Nautifish! :thumbsup_anim: Nothing makes me so mad when I see people littering and not caring what it does for this earth or for our wildlife for that matter. I have always taught my kids that garbage goes in a grabage pail and not on the ground and if I see them litter, WATCH OUT! Mommy won't be happy at all. Littering really makes me see red. :angry:

Nothing makes me so mad when I see people littering and not caring what it does for this earth or for our wildlife for that matter.

Could not agree more hon & see you on friday @ the swill....Looking forward to it. ;)