okay i cant locate the thermostat.. help..

BFSC Kevin

please check out the pics.. i even have the seloc repair manual.. i cant find anything close to it on my motor.. or i'm blind??

also.. i have a feeling that the throttle cable aint connected or working.. i pull up on the throttle lever and i dont see the throttle cable moving on the powerhead.. any idea on cost of fixing or easily fixable?

anyways.. please help me locate the termostat so i could check that out incase if there is a prob with that.. i'll be pulling my boat down to the lakeshore today..♦

oh and its a 1989 60hp 2 stroke merc.

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_6165-copy.jpg

IMG_6166.JPG♦

IMG_6167.JPG

IMG_6169.JPG

thanks

kevin

Edited by wally kev

I had the same motor but have never needed to get to the thermostat. The bolt that is circled is the bolt that retains the bracket I don't think the tstat is their. The only heads up I can give you is it is a twin carb feeding 3 pistons.... that means number 1 or top piston will run leaner than number 2 and 3 because it has the longest air plenum from the carbs. Make sure that the jets do not get clogged or varnished the first sign is plug 1 will get fouled out with little pieces of aluminum from the piston head. You can take the plug out and see shiny spots on the face of the piston if it is occurring at that point fatten up the carb settings before it melts the piston and sticks a ring. Other than that it was a great motor.

Art

Does it even have a thermostat? Don't most motors pump water no matter what? Just thinking that a thermostat would work by opening when the internal water temp got to a certain temp like it does in a car. But since the water is always peeing out, that would indicate to me that cooling is always going on.

Hey Rick,

Water cooled outboards do pee, but not 100% of the time.. some, if not most of them have a thermostat that regulate the water pump.... once the internal temps gets to a certain temp, it'll start peeing.. the major purpose of a thermostat.. i don't know.. why is it even there.. i dont know.. its more like does it even need a thermostat? since it needs water to cool the system... i guess to regulate it so when the engine is too cold, the motor won't be pumping more cold water in to cool it down even further?

Am I making sense? :huh:

kevin

IF that engine has a thermostat it will be under water jacket on rear of engine-read this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=...ight=thermostat

I say if because the engines are actually manufactured is series by serial number, not necessarily by year....so changes made btw model years are hard to pinpoint. I worked on merc sportjets, a hybrid with outboard powerhead mounted as an inboard on a jet pump. I'd see 96 manufactured boats with 94 merc manufatured engines....more common with inboards as boat builders buy a few thousand engines at a time and possibly use them over a 2 year period. Does happen with outboards though, check your serial number at merc site, if it id's as a year earlier there's no T stat.

I'm not too familiar with Mercs, but the thermostat is normally located behind a small cover on top of the water jacket. The usual location is circled in the following photo. And yes you need a thermostat. Your motor was designed to run with it. Without it it will be rough running and less efficient.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto...t//ppuser/11005

IF that engine has a thermostat it will be under water jacket on rear of engine-read this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=...ight=thermostat

I say if because the engines are actually manufactured is series by serial number, not necessarily by year....so changes made btw model years are hard to pinpoint. I worked on merc sportjets, a hybrid with outboard powerhead mounted as an inboard on a jet pump..

Now that just sounds silly!Why would someone have a jet pump on a boat!

Joe

Does it even have a thermostat? Don't most motors pump water no matter what? Just thinking that a thermostat would work by opening when the internal water temp got to a certain temp like it does in a car. But since the water is always peeing out, that would indicate to me that cooling is always going on.

Yes, they pee all the time, but part of the difference on outboards(some) is that the thermostat is closed and the water just goes through a "bypass" until the egine heats up and then diverts it to regulate the ideal temperature. Engines run more efficiently when warm and if you just blasted cool/cold water through them all the time, it would really have to run rich and pollute like a pig to keep it running.