Safe heat for garage???

motv8tr

Good morning all, well it's getting to be that chilly time of the year, and I'm looking to heat my garage. I leave it open for the dogs so they have full access from the house to the yard while I'm at work, that means the house is a little chilly when I get home <_< . Last year I put up old comforters over the doors to try to stave off some of the cold air, this year I'm thinking I might just heat the thing...a little anyway. I'd prefer to stay away from electric heat, was thinking propane or something along those lines. The trick is finding one I can leave on while I'm not here. Any thoughts? Maybe one of the ones used by icefishers????

Thanks for your help

Maureen

You would be better off getting a natural gas mini furnace. Something with a vented exhaust, or you risk the health of the animals. I looked into it all, but at about $600 for the cheapest unit, the installation costs as well, I went for electric. When I finished my garage, I installed a 220v outlet that was originally for a welder. I ended up buying one of those little square construction heaters for $60 with a thermostat. I like it because when I am not in the garage, I can set it to keep the temp just above freezing, and when I am in the garage I can turn it up. Looking at my electricity bill, it hasn't gone up more than $20 a month when I use it. I can tell when my central air is being used on my electricity bill, but there is no obvious spike when I used the heater. It works great.

cd.

Good morning all, well it's getting to be that chilly time of the year, and I'm looking to heat my garage. I leave it open for the dogs so they have full access from the house to the yard while I'm at work, that means the house is a little chilly when I get home <_< . Last year I put up old comforters over the doors to try to stave off some of the cold air, this year I'm thinking I might just heat the thing...a little anyway. I'd prefer to stay away from electric heat, was thinking propane or something along those lines. The trick is finding one I can leave on while I'm not here. Any thoughts? Maybe one of the ones used by icefishers????

Thanks for your help

Maureen

Are you saying that would be heating the garage and leaving the doors open for the dogs at the same time? That would be expensive.

some thoughts:

1) Doggy door sounds like a good idea

2) Industrial type heating with propane or other fossil fuel a bad idea due to expense and or carbon monoxide issues

3) Teach the dogs how to open and close doors properly

4) build them on outside shelter that shares one call with the house (so it will get he heat off the house

The furnace I use is propane. Just make sure you meet fire codes for propane/gas if going with one of these units. Note the furnace is elevated and the chimney pipe installed to proper standards. If not installed properly and you have a fire your insurance may not cover you. Mine unit will keep the garage from just above freezing to hot. Insulate your overhead doors with Styrofoam and if not already done insulate your side walls and install a doggie door.

garagefurnace1.jpg

garagefurnace2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I've pretty much ruled out dog doors for the time being as I would have to replace the doors I have now. They are both steel with half of them windows and one is oversized. I guess for this year I'll get a new electric heater, I don't like the one they left behind, no thermostat :( and the garage does have 220V.

One dog is capable of opening the doors, he just doesn't close them behind him :P

Maybe next year I'll look into adding something.

Maureen

If they have a dog house you can just put in a couple of light fixtures they send off heat just make sure that there is some kind of grill in front of them. What kind of dogs are they?? they might not need heat ! I know that my shepherd/lab mix doesn't have heat and when she is inside she found somewhere in the house that is colder than anywhere else and she spends her time there. She usually spends her time outdoors. We usually bring her in when it's colder than -20C, but after a couple of hours she wants out!!!!!!

Edited by wallyboss