Flotation Suit from UK

Nayyer

Hello everyone

With a planning to do lot of ice fishing this year I intend to buy flotation suits for coming season for me and my son (Model 845) shown as 2nd last product at link

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/F...d_Buoyancy.html

but not sure about the durability and effectiveness:

Apparently looks cheaper as compare to same products available in Canada. Therefore, would request members to provide some feedback or tell their experience about this product and about the custom duty or taxes etc from UK to Canada.

Im just curious everyone well maybe not everyone seems to be able to spend a crapper load of money on fishing related stuff what is so hard to choke about spending the same on life safety do you not think you are worth it and the only reason i say this is because people always seem to want to go to the cheap bottom end of floater suits .....THIS is not the way to go think in terms of how much am I worth dead :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

sorry I rant

By the time you convert the currency, pay for the handling, shipping, tarriff, duties,and taxes I don't think you'll find it that much different than buying in Canada.

It probably will not be CCG approved either. That is not really a big deal though. If you are in a boat, just make sure you have an approved vest and you'll be legal. I have a couple of rescue vests that are not CCG approved, but I would trust my life to them before I would a "boy-o-boy".

Warrenty would be another thing. If you have a problem and have to send it back, it could be expensive and a very long time.

I thought you can wear anything in the world you want to wear( on the ice you don't have to wear any thing in the way of a PFD)

as long as you have a PFD on board for each person on board.

I believe they 100% count as a CCG approved PFD, as long as they are CCG approved so there would be no reason to have another PFD aboard

Roy, I believe the CCG/DOT approved float jacket or suit is recognized as an acceptable PFD. There were changes made in Canadian law a few (maybe 10) years ago to promote wearability (colour choices and comfort level) and the sacrifice was self-righting bouyancy that the old-school life vests provided. Newer style PFD's often exceed the minimum bouyancy standard but you have to be concious to get your head out of the water.

Pete will no doubt have the definitive answer on this.

If you have a float coat or suit that is not approved by CCG/DOT you had better make sure your PFD fits properly over it.

-Brian

Or yella

Lifejackets and Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)

Every year in Canada hundreds of Canadians drown while boating. Most of them never intended to be in the water, they were just enjoying their boating activity. Most of them, over 87%, are not wearing a lifejacket or a PFD (or did not have it done up properly) when they drown.

When it comes to lifejackets or PFD’s, close by isn’t close enough. Choose to WEAR your lifejacket or PFD and make every boating outing a return trip.

Lifejackets vs PFD’s

Lifejackets:

A Canadian approved standard lifejacket, when worn properly, is designed to turn an unconscious person from face down to face up in the water, allowing them to breathe. The standard lifejacket is keyhole style and comes in two sizes - one for people who weigh over 40 kg (90 lbs), and one for people who weigh less than 40 kg (90 lbs).

Standard lifejackets must be orange, yellow or red, and have a whistle attached.

Personal Flotation Devices (PFD’s):

A Canadian approved PFD is designed to keep you afloat in the water.

PFDs were designed for use in recreational boating and are generally smaller, less bulky and more comfortable than lifejackets. They have less flotation than lifejackets, and have limited turning capacity, but are available in a variety of styles and colours

Inflatable PFD’s

An inflatable is a type of personal flotation device that either automatically inflates when immersed in water, or is inflated by the wearer using either an oral or manual inflation device. Most inflatable PFDs use a carbon dioxide cartridge to inflate. Approved inflatable PFDs can be worn if you are 16 years or older and weigh more than 36 kilograms.

Things to consider when choosing a flotation device

Activities: Consider the water activities that you enjoy. Today there are PFD’s specially designed for various activities including pleasure boating, fishing, water skiing, tubing, kayaking, canoeing and rafting. Note that inflatable lifejackets or PFD’s are not approved for some uses in Canada. Be sure to choose a PFD that meets your particular needs.

Colour: PFD's are available in many bright colours. The Canadian Coast Guard strongly recommends bright colours for better visibility.

Size: Sizing is based on chest measurements for adults and weight for children -- read the label for details. Try the lifejacket or PFD on. It should fit snugly, with all the buckles, zippers and snaps done up, but still allow room to breathe and move around freely. Try walking and sitting in it too. Your PFD is too big if you can pull it over your ears, and too small if you cannot fasten all buckles and straps.

Transport Canada

Approved: Check the label to make sure the PFD or lifejacket is approved for use in Canada.

Children’s flotation devices

There are approved PFD's and lifejackets designed especially for children. When you purchase a child’s approved flotation device, look for the following:

Canadian approval labels detailing the appropriate chest size or weight

A large collar for extra protection and support to the child’s head

A grab strap on the collar

Bright colors; yellow, orange or red are most easily seen

Sturdy, rust-proof buckles and zipper

Waist ties with snug-fitting drawstrings or elastic in front and back

A safety strap that fastens between the legs to prevent the device from slipping over the child’s head

Reflective tape and a plastic whistle should also be

Make sure that the approved flotation device is comfortable, yet snug.

Do not buy a PFD or lifejacket that is too large in the hope that the child will grow into it.

Remember that a PFD can never replace adult supervision. Keep your child within arms length at all times when in, on or around the water.

Click here for a downloadable PDF file (266kb) of important children's PFD features

After you have selected a flotation device for a child, we recommend that you attach reflective tape and a plastic whistle.

Important: In Canada, there are no approved flotation devices for children weighing 20 pounds and under. Transport Canada recommends that you wait until your child reaches 20 lbs. before you go boating with them. For further information, visit Transport Canada at http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/news/pfds.htm#14

Available at Canadian Tire are Red Cross/Mustang Survival PFDs for the entire family.

Visit Mustang Survival to view their full line of Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs).

For further information on lifejackets and PFDs - how to size them, wear them and care for them, visit BoatSmart Canada at http://www.boatsmartcanada.com/main.asp?id=002512

Testing a lifejacket or PFD

To test your new lifejacket or PFD, take the following steps:

In a supervised area, put your lifejacket or PFD on and wade out into chest deep water.

Bend your knees and float on your back.

Make sure your flotation device keeps your chin above water and you can still breathe easily.

Practice swimming on your stomach and back.

If you are responsible for children, let them experiment with their own flotation device under your supervision.

Proper maintenance of a lifejacket or PFD

Proper maintenance of your lifejacket or PFD is very important.

A flotation device is designed to save your life and should never be used as a seat cushion or fender for your boat. Using it in this manner could cause damage, voiding its “approved” status.

Inspect your flotation devices regularly. If there are rips or signs of wear, they should be replaced immediately.

Store flotation devices on board your boat in a dry, well ventilated area.

Ensure your flotation devices are readily accessible and stored away from gasoline or oil.

To clean a lifejacket or PFD:

Use mild soap and water.

Rinse thoroughly.

Air-dry out of direct sunlight and away from direct heat.

For more information visit:

http://www.boatsmartcanada.com/ (A Red Cross website)

http://www.wearalifejacket.com/ (By the Cook-Reese Memorial Fund for Water Search and Safety, a Red Cross partner in safety)

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/ (By Mustang Survival, a Red Cross Partner in safety)

www.tc.gc.ca/boatingsafety (Transport Canada)

Updated June 29, 2007

Okay, I could be full of crap but this is my inturpretation.

Lifejackets and PFD's are two different animals.

Lifejackets are approved by Transport Canada, require a minimum bouyancy rating, self-righting and available in red, orange and yellow.

PFD's are approved by the Canadian Coast Guard, require a minimum bouyancy rating, have limited self-righting ability and are available in any colour you want including camo. I have yet to see plaid however. Inflatables and Float suits are grouped in with vest style PFD's.

Both lifejackets and PFD's are acceptable for our recreational fishing needs but commercial vessels may have different regulations.

-Brian

Both ya's kinda! LOL... If it has a CANADIAN coast guard approval tag in it...you're good to go! None of us wear "Standard" life jackets anymore...those are the key hole thingies that I have in the bow netting just to cover anyone that's not legal with what they're wearing at inspection. They will fit on you if you are wearing a non approved floater suit in the boat!

Edited by irishfield