Hunting Muskies on Scugog

ccmtcanada

Bly and I figured this was our last chance to fish the Kawarthas, since they are closed this week. Where did this fishing season go? Talk about time flying by fast!

Anyhow, this was our second trip in the boat...and we were hoping to get some slime in it today. We got to Island Marina on Lake Scugog at about 9am, with high hopes for a great day of fishing. Bly went inside to pay for the launch, and I got the boat prepped.

Anyhow, I took a look at the water and had to do a double take. Ice? ICE? AAAAAACK!!!!! THERE WAS ICE AT THE LAUNCH!!! Not just a little bit...but....here...take a look....

ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

After getting over the shock, I backed up the trailer to the water and put the boat in. CRAAAAACK......CREEEEEEEK went the ice. This ice was pretty thick in places! When we began to back up to turn the boat around, the ice actually stopped us....LOL. We had to get the oars to break up the ice all around us so we could turn the boat around. After a few minutes, we were in open water.....PHEW!!!

It was pretty windy and cold out today, but we didn't care....we were dressed for it and ready to fish until just before sundown. The bite was, ummmmmm.....non existant!!! LOL. Bly has never driven a boat before, so I let her take control of the boat while I casted my arm out of it's socket. Here she is intently looking at the fish finder. There were fish being marked all day at 2 feet.....JUST two feet...every time there was a fish, it was 2 feet!!!! I think we need a new fishfinder....LOL.

caroledrive.jpg

The morning turned to afternoon, and the only thing biting was us eating our lunch. I begin throwing one of these suicks.....

suick9.jpg

I look down and my heart skips a beat!! There is in fact at least ONE fish in this lake!!! I saw one of these following my lure right to the boat.....

Muskie_1.jpg

At the last second, it turns away....so Bly followed up with one of these!!

jake.jpg

She feels some weight!!! She sets the hook!!! We wait in anticipation!! Will this be her first ever muskie????? Soon, this surfaced......

weeds.jpg

Awwww crap. Oh well...the day wasn't over quite yet. We continued to putter around the lake until we got a phone call from home...our little one had locked herself in her room and wasn't coming out until we came home...LOL. We took that as our cue.....all that work and all we ended up with was this.....

skunk.jpg

A lot did go right though....for instance, I remembered the plug this time....the motor started up after just 2 pulls of the cord, and for 6 hours, we had peace and quiet out on the water.

Ahhh...fishing....WHO THE @#$!@#% INVENTED IT??

haha great report. If you have to break through ice to get to the water, you are die-hards. As far as musky fishing goes, I lose confidence when the water gets below 52...doesn't mean I quit, just means I have zero confidence...and no confidence usually leads to no fish. At least you saw one!

That was the best skunk report I've ever seen. Thanks for posting.

Thanks...on the way home Bly asked if I was going to write a report and I said no. Then, after I got home, I got an idea....I wanted to show the ice, but instead of a usual "we didn't catch" anything, I thought I'd tell the fishing story in pictures. Glad you enjoyed it!

So you guys were one of the other brave souls out there. I was out with a friend, we rented from where you launched. I was shocked to see the ice when we pulled in. I did however have a little better luck than you, I got a nice 38" and had two on breifly with very remote releases. I will post the days events when my buddy sends me the photos.

Fun report Cliff. Sorry about the skunk. Scugog can be good at times, just gotta keep on trying. Seems like the skunk is getting around. We spent all last weekend at Elephant Lake Lodge in search of the ol' zig zags.... and our skunk couldn't have stunk more. Done with them Muskie for the year! Congrats on your boat purchase btw. Looking forward to those 60 lbs Pickerel you will catch and report.