What the heck is this?

Rich

Okay.. so I went steelheading today and all I managed was this mystery fish. I was sure it was a salmon, but after inspecting it closely I couldn't figure out what type of salmon. It was a male, and I kept it. The pics were taken after I took the guts out and it had laid on shore and bled out for probably an hour, but the coloration remained the same just a little lighter. After eating it this evening (it was delicious by the way) I know for a fact it was some type of salmon. I've just never seen a salmon with that kind of coloration. The weirdest part for me was getting a salmon that looked so fresh this late in the season. Maybe some OFC'ers can clarify my catch!

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

And the ever so famous, "porch shot"

DSC00727.jpg

Looks like some kinda weird brown trout hybrid,..strange lookin fish,..i hope somoene can identify it..did u eat it yet? How did it taste ?? Way to go on the catch though,..how was the fight? What were you using?..shoulda took pics b4 gutting it...probably best to take this baby out of the gene pool...lol,..but im not sure i would eat that or anything else from Lake O tribs...LOL

Edited by Uncle Milty

Guest skeeter99

Sorry

I just think it is funny that you caught a fish out of lake O trib and you dont know what it is **AND THEN YOU ATE IT** LOL!!!!! :clapping:

looks like a brown trout salmon hybrid ?

I ate it, it was delicious. Caught it on a roe bag bottom bounced and it was a Lake Erie trib.

I thought I knew it was a salmon when I kept it.. didn't really think about the strange coloration until afterward. I was just too excited about the meal, LOL!

It fought like a champ, no jumps though.

Definitely not a trout though, I can tell by the taste of the meat, haha

Now I kinda feel guilty for keeping an atlantic..

Baffles me that you can fish rivers and not distinguish between a brown and an atlantic :asshat:

Do they put something in the water you guys drink over there?

Nate

No I just focus on more important species throughout the fishing season..

THATS A ATLANTIC FOR SURE

WE LET ABOUT 300 GO LAST YEAR ON WILMONT AND BOWMANVILLE

BY THE WAY NATE SMOLT TO JUVINELE ALTALANTIC LOOKS THE SAME AS A BROWN..

NICE FISH, we caught 2 last year 1 On the credit and another in bowmanville. Both of mine were tagged.

Dave

there is no Atlantic stocking on Erie..its a brown and they are stocked in erie, in larger and larger numbers each year by the DEC. The fish is not a hybrid or anything of the sorts just a brown in full spawn dress, with a worn out tail from being a repeat spawner

smolt to juvinile fish Atlantics have a different spot pattern and very different parr markings then a brown, the two fish in the natal stage of life are very easy to distinguish, to the angler not aware of the sometimes subtle but easily distinguisable markings and patterns migratory out of the lake browns and an Atlantic can sometimes be confused. Atlantics are for the most part out of season in the stream environment while browns are'nt

Edited by aniceguy