Cotter Pin?

musky66

Wondering if the cotter pin holding the prop nut in place is stainless steel or just regular steel? Reason is it costs a buck to pick one up from the marina and i just found a stash of what I suspect are just steel ones in my tool box. I'm not complaining about a buck for the right cotter pin- especially if it saves my prop, but would like to use what I have if possible.

On my dads boat he used a regular cotter pin for the nut and when I took it fishing one day I lost everything when the nut came off when the pin rusted thru.Those washers and nuts for the prop set me back $16 :angry::wallbash: .We found the prop in 8ft of water off the dock but nearly froze diving for it. :o:o

vance

If you look at it from a technical view, you could almost hold the castle nut on a splined shaft with a wooden toothpick, reason being, the prop whether going forward or reverse cannot rotate on the splined shaft and turn the nut at the same time, physical impossibility unless your splined shaft is FUBAR. For those with a shear pin drive, different story, but again most of the directional for is forward and not against the cotter pin.