Help finding LM's in a gravel pit setting.

Beats

I was wondering if anyone knows any strategies for fall lm bass. My parents bought a property that backs onto an old gravel pit that has been abandoned for I'd guess atleast 20 years and has completely overgrown. If you didn't look hard at it you would probably just think it was a pond. There are lm bass, white crappie and supposedly some pike in it. 15 years ago or so I fished there as a small kid and remember catching big lm's on 2 out of 3 casts from shore. I distinctly remember them eating anything you threw at them. I just returned there and began fishing it recently and so far have only caught white crappie (very tiny ones) while I tried for bass. The closest I've gotten to a lm so far was a week ago when I was taking my lure out of the water after retrieving it and the second I lifted my rainbow trout pattern jointed rap from the water a Lm came 1/2 out of the water after it and obviously missed it. So I know that the bass are still in there but Im wondering if the temperature has made them semi dormant for the winter.(?) I tried throwing spinners and jointed raps mostly at first and ended up only catching the odd crappie with a spinner. I think as long as you use a small enough bait tthe crappie will hit just about anything. I tried for bass again yesterday and didn't see any signs of them. I was throwing all kinds of different raps from countdowns to xraps to ones to merely drag the bottom to see if the bass were sitting on the bottom. All I managed were some clumps of algae. I even tried a senko worm and figured it would work seeing as its a pit and has some deep spots, but nothing. The crappie I have caught so far have all been tiny, if not stunted, and Its my thought that they must be the food supply for the bass. I believe the bass average 1.5 lbs + (or atleast they used to) and the only real predator I can think of is that there is atleast one beaver lodge on the pit and a few snappers probably and I've been told of pike but never seen one. It's a pit that is set back from the road and surrounded by woods meaning that only people who know of it would ever find it. I remember a few others fishing it when I was there as a kid, but recently I have not ever seen another person there. So it definately hasn't been fished out or anything. Does anyone have any tips or strategies for late fall Lm bass in this kind of setting?

Here are a few pics from a few months back.

Coldstreamgravelpit009.jpg

Coldstreamgravelpit001.jpg

Coldstreamgravelpit004.jpg

Coldstreamgravelpit007.jpg

Beats,

This is an interesting post! I'm kind of surprised at the water colour since you said this was an abandoned gravel pit. Usually, they are as clear as a swimming pool. The bottom must be quite mucky and silted to have this colour water.

I have LM Bass in my pond and they have been pretty scarce since the cooler temperatures hit. The rainbow Trout are still active. I can pretty much see botom all the way around the pond (it is 10" at the deepest spot) and the Bass are nowhere to be seen. I saw Perch, Rock Bass, and Sunfish yesterday.

I figure they are holding in the remaining weed growth at the deepest spots andcannot be seen from shore.

I would keep trying the slow Senko presentation in the deeper areas.How deep do you think the water is? Maybe try bubble Gum pink rigged wacky style? That water is pretty stained.

Let us know how it goes!

Slow, slow, slow presentations. While I was chasing muskies yesterday, a buddy of mine was on the same lake chasing walleyes and stumbled onto some bass using jigs. He switched up to a jig and pig and picked up a few nice 2+ pounders. He said he had to hit them in the nose with the bait. They were not chasing anything. Hope this helps.

You did a really good job of providing some background information there Beats, unfortunately every time I go Bass fishing my results are pretty much the same as yours. Sounds like you've tried just about every form of artificial; might be worth a shot at throwing some kind of live bait out there, minnows or even worms. I rarely fish with live bait so I wouldn't be able to offer you any creative presentation strategies. Looks like a cool little spot that you've got to yourself.

You should be able to pull some LMs outta there. As others have said use a very-slow/ultra-slow presentation, try downsizing, or using a buzz bait to create a commontion or even a 1/8 oz. mini-spinnerbait, they're excellent for times when the bites off and fish are a bit finicky (especially during colder weather). Works for me everytime ! About 1-2 weeks ago caught this descent LM using one of my buzzbaits (3/8oz. buzz rat), didn't think they would hit anything that day, but whadya know, on the 2nd cast, casted into the middle of the pond, at first I used a quick-retrieve then I slowed it down before shore & then WHAM !!

1856648359_ca6413c43b_o.jpg

Beats,

This is an interesting post! I'm kind of surprised at the water colour since you said this was an abandoned gravel pit. Usually, they are as clear as a swimming pool. The bottom must be quite mucky and silted to have this colour water.

I have LM Bass in my pond and they have been pretty scarce since the cooler temperatures hit. The rainbow Trout are still active. I can pretty much see botom all the way around the pond (it is 10" at the deepest spot) and the Bass are nowhere to be seen. I saw Perch, Rock Bass, and Sunfish yesterday.

I figure they are holding in the remaining weed growth at the deepest spots andcannot be seen from shore.

I would keep trying the slow Senko presentation in the deeper areas.How deep do you think the water is? Maybe try bubble Gum pink rigged wacky style? That water is pretty stained.

Let us know how it goes!

The pics are from the summer time and the water is no where near that muddy currently. There is a creek flowing right by the pit but I don't think it feeds into it since I haven't seen a creek flowing out... The only real structure is the bushes all around the outside edges and any branches etc. that have fallen in near shore. Currently the water isn't gin clear by any means but is much much cleaner than the pics I posted. I'm not too sure about the depths yet. Some sections are alot more shallow than I would have guessed for a pit. The entire bottom of the pond is covered with green algae that covers deep diving rapalas every cast which makes me think the entire bottom of gravel must be hidden with growth. I was actually using a wacky rigged pink senko yesterday, trying to throw it into the centre parts of the pit, thinking that they would logically be the deepest spots. I was also throwing big spinner baits around the shoreline but only excited the crappie. There is a tiny island in the middle of the pit (like most gravel pits) so I just assummed that the water must be somewhat deep since they must have had trucks/heavy equipment in there a long time ago. There is no doubt in my mind that in the summer I will be able to catch them.. hopefully as easily as i remember catching them as a kid.

If I make it out there again today I'll post current pics. If not I'll have to wait for the weekend.

Edited by Beats

If the pit is not to deep...i have an idea??????!!!!!!! :glare:B) why dont you try a slip-float...they are very versitile and with a dew worm on a 1/4oz jig head....even a minnow if there is bass there that should get them...if they are not hitting lures....try that its slow,and wont spook them and just about everything that swims will take it for sure. :w00t: ..just an idea,hope you try it...good-luck give us an update if you figure them out....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: