Importing a boat from US

HTHM

With the weaker US dollar I am thinking about buying a used boat from the states, (private deal as opposed to a dealer) and am wondering if anyone here has done that before? If so, what do I need to do to bring the boat into Canada? Is there anything I need to watch out for when doing a deal in the States?

Thanks for any advice.

Father in laws buddy just brought in a LUND ProGuide 2010 w/a Merc 150 TILLER. No sweat, paid his taxes and saved a small fortune (close to $10k believe it or not).

I feel bad for the dealers here because they aren't the ones making all the money with the strong dollar. The manufacuturers have to step up to the plate and help their dealer networks because you would have to be either a fool or a rich fool to buy a brand new boat or car here now. It's a sad state of affairs when for a couple of hour drive you can save literally thousands of dollars on the same item.

Beware of listening to the people at MTO...they do not have a clue. I tried to get a temp permit:

-I talked to 6 people and got 6 different stories about licensing a trailer from the states. They do not know the rules and need retraining.

-I bet if I went to 6 different offices someone would stamp the paper even if I did not have everything required.

-Finally the guy is going to have to drop the trailer at my house and I will take the 1Km down to CTC to get it inspected for certification unplated.

-"can't get a trip permit without the second customs form (CTC check), cant legally get it to CTC for the check without the trip permit."

Check the link from a previous post: Certificate of origin is all that is required but CDN customs goes on about title in hand.....dealers will not give you ownership, just the certificate of origin.

How does everyone else get their trailer around if a dealer gave them a certificate of origin so you could register it here?

stuntman

I picked up my Princecraft last May from the USA.. Border crossing is no problem if you have all your paperwork.. I was ( should have ) brought another this week.... Hoping to get something again before the snow come in...

Tiz

Hometownhandyman

I have had three friends recently bring boats in from the US.

They have all used a boat broker on the US side. The broker did all of the work for them and they just took delivery. Obviously there is a cost involved for the broker, but they seemed very happy with the deals that they got even after the broker was paid.

Just another option

Cheers

Craig