What to look for in a small boat trailer? - NF

ccmtcanada

Well, as many of you know, I purchased a 14 foot tinny and I am looking for a trailer. Thanks to all who have sent me classified ads!

Anyhow, I sent about 30 emails to people who have had their boats listed on kijiji and craigslist for quite a while asking if they'd consider selling the trailer separately and within 15 minutes I had 3 replies.

I'll be checking a few of them out in the next few days so I wanted to ask what to look for? I can look at the condition of the tires, see where rust may have affected the integrity of the frame, check to make sure the lighting works etc... but that's where it ends. I've also read up on bearing buddies and know their purpose....

Thanks!

Edited by ccmtcanada

A galvanized trailer is always a plus Cliff, and side guide ons are a must have when trailering your boat in windy conditions. The winch and strap aren't that hard or expensive to replace. Take a nail or something similar with you to check the bunks to see if they're rotted,they're pretty easy to replace too. I'd go with a square tube tongue as opposed to a round tube.

Hope this helps!

I've also read up on bearing buddies and know their purpose....

Thanks!

Cliff, if bearing buddies are over filled, it'll blow the seals and let water into the bearings, then your in big trouble.

If your purchasing a used trailer, perhaps take it to a qualified person and have the existing bearings checked, repacked or replaced, if your unable to do it yourself. It's not too expensive and could possibly save you alot of heartache on the side of the hiway someday.

Wheel bearings WILL fail if not properly maintained

Hey Cliff,

Get the tires off the ground and give them a spin, if it is quite your OK, if noisy you need to do the bearings. Also check the tire for any play in the wheel, try to twist the tire left to right, there should be no movement. If the trailer is sound and the lights are working, bearings are pretty easy to do but you don't want to be towing far if they are in rough shape. Lights can be a pain trying to trace down a problem. In the past I've just rewired the trailer, should be good for a few years after doing this. If the tires are cracking then replace them. Rust can be a problem depending on the age of the trailer. Find a galvanized one if you can, worth the extra money IMO. My next trailer will be galvanized. If it's a newer trailer with a bit of surface rust, shouldn't be a problem, just a bit of paint to make it look good and slow down the corrosion.

Good Luck!

PS - If you need some help with repairs I can help you out if you need it.

Like has already been said galvanized, painted if in good shape. Weight capacity is of importance too. Also bearings must be good as has also been said. If the spindles are chewed up from a bearing gone bad it will be more work to fix and this = more expensive.

Check out new ones too and compare that to used trailer prices.

Also try and find a trailer with the best height. Know what your motor length is below the transom and find one that is a foot or so higher than that from the lowest rear contact point.

A trailer that is too low will cause damage to your boat when towing rough roads and one that is too high will make launching difficult. Always get bunk trailers for aluminum boats.

Load guides are nice but not as mandatory for a boat yours (and mine) size since we can easily center them after we've pulled out of the water.

I've got oil bath bearings on my trailer but too limited experience with them to have any opinion. Overfilling the bearing buddies makes a giant mess...that lesson I did learn.

Someone may have already mentioned this. Given a choice between small wheels and tires and large, I'll take the largest I can fit the load over every time. Most of those small trailers you see sitting at the roadside with tire and/or bearing problems are the result of heat and friction frying the small units in summer heat. I realize with a small boat wheel height becomes problematic, and you probably won't be doing long hispeed runs so perhaps it's not a vaild concern.

Another thing to consider is ground clearance. My bro-in-law just finished building a new big wheel trailer for his small boat to get into the little back lakes on Manitoulin Island. Unless you're using a bent axle setup big wheels will be needed for a higher axle. The original little wheel & straight axle design got hung up too easily. This isn't usually an issue if you use regular launch ramps. I was going to suggest you talk to him about his old trailer but remembered it's still on Manitoulin, if he hasn't already sold it, and the ferry's not running now.

JF

like fishnsled said, have someone lift one side to get the wheel of the ground and give it a spin, spins ok with no grinding noises then just hold bottom and top and push/pull with each hand to see if there's any play, no play (movement) is good. The rest is just check that springs or bolts aren't worn or broken. Frame, lights, and winch with strap/cable is OK and you should be good to go. Any problems can be easily fixed, you just have to figure out if it's worth any added cost to the selling cost. Pretty basic really, could be more to it if you were pulling a big boat though, but a 14ft aluminum is pretty light.

All the above is sound advice..........

but if you buy a used trailer, pull the wheels and check/clean or change the bearings anyway. that way you will KNOW wnat they are like.

Most that other site my trailering has been with smaller tire's. If you keep them well lubed and inflated you should'nt have any problems. I havent...........none.

Thanks everyone!

After searching every conceivable classified ad, seeing the shape most of these used trailers are in from pics, and hauling Fishnsled out to look at one last night, we've decided to just go and buy a brand new trailer...something galvanized, light-weight, sealed lights etc....

Thanks for all your input....I think I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I dont have to worry about the trailer falling apart, or the bearings suddenly crapping out on me.