Winter Camping

graftongal

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone here who does winter camping? We would like to try it this year and are looking for suggestions in terms of parks to try. We were thinking Algonquin, but upon checking, noticed that ice fishing is not permitted.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Snady

Snady, I heard that the best way to stay warm when camping in the winter is to sleep in the nude and snuggle in the sleeping bags. It keeps the body heat together that you would otherwise lose if you have bulky clothes on :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Sandy,

Ruth and I used to do a lot of wintering camping but haven't done it for a few years. I ran a camping-survival club at school and took kids out 3-4 times a year. Plus with having a team of siberan huskies it was easy to travel into remote areas in the winter by dog sled. Never worried about them not starting in the morning ... always went with a 'kick starter' though.lol Did the Algonquin thing but you are right .. no ice fishing. I can give you some of the places we went and may even have a couple of topo maps ... no promises .. I've slept since then. (-:

PM me if you are interested.

Plus with having a team of siberan huskies it was easy to travel into remote areas in the winter by dog sled. Never worried about them not starting in the morning ... always went with a 'kick starter' though.lol

Hahahaha, too funny :lol:

Joey

graftongal- depends on what level of winter camping you want to do. You can be totally self-sufficient with a quinzhee, which is basically a snow cave made by you.. lots of sweat but its worth it- at night with one candle going, the temps can get well above 1C. Also fun to just build on a day outing.

I did winter camping at the Pinery a few years ago were they have enclosements set up. It was a cool experience but there isn't much ice fish around there. The only activities that I remember around were either x-country skiing or hiking. You should merge your two idead together and camp on the ice while you fish!

Remember that when camping in a provincial park, whether backcountry or campground, wood is always and issue. You're not allowed to cut and vegetation, be it standing or not. I personally prefer winter camping on crown land away from the crowds where you're able to do your thing.

It really depends on where you live and how far you're willing to go. Do you want backcountry or stick to X-country trails? Snowshoeing or Skiing? Solo or multiple people in your party. All things to consider. in my opinion, winter's the best time of year to get away. PM me if you want for any suggestions.