WoodStove installation (NF)

jedimaster

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone here is wett certified or knows someone that is that could answer a question for me.

I am going to be installing an SS flexible liner inside of a masonry factory built chimney, just wnat to know if you need to insulate it? The existiing chimeny has a clay insert in it now but is a bit crmbly in a few spots.

I have phoned the Towns inspector but he does know, and phones two places now and they won't tell me if insulation is required or not, just that they will install it.

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone here is wett certified or knows someone that is that could answer a question for me.

I am going to be installing an SS flexible liner inside of a masonry factory built chimney, just wnat to know if you need to insulate it? The existiing chimeny has a clay insert in it now but is a bit crmbly in a few spots.

I have phoned the Towns inspector but he does know, and phones two places now and they won't tell me if insulation is required or not, just that they will install it.

I'm not sure if it's code that says if it must be insulated or not. If the chimney runs through the interior of your house, then I'd say no. If it runs outside the exterior of your house, then it might be a good idea just so it will vent properly. One other suggestion. I'd go with a smooth wall ss pipe instead of a flex liner. It's much easier to clean.

Not sure if this helps, but I had to install a chimney liner after my water heater was installed, it was not insulated and was installed by a TSSA certified company. All the liner does is prevent exhaust gases from falling as they cool, as they travel up the chimney...therefor preventing CO2 gases from "falling" back into the space...

The only time I have seen Insulated pipe used was in applications such as Bathroom Exhaust fans etc once they hit the unheated attic space...

As the chimney is normally located on the exterior I dont see this as a concern and a non-insulated pipe is probably just fine by the OBC. I will check the 2006 OBC for you just to be sure if you like?

Guys like DanC though are the experts..

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

I'm not wett certified but I am tssa licensed for gas oil and propane. You should never insulate around a liner, for one the insulation will melt. the top of a s.s. wood liner is frekin hot. Years ago gas liners were insulated at the top and then cemented in, I now make a living changing these because the insulation retains water and promotes rot. They also used to pour bags of vermiculite (the white granuals in potting soil) same result rotting liners.

I am having a wett certified installer install a wood insert in my home thursday so I'll ask him. I would have attempted the install myself but a cutting torch is required to get my liner past the baffles in my existing fireplace.

One last note do not install the wire in the chase(it will melt), bring your electrical out the front and across the hearth

Brian McCrostie

McCrostie Mechanical

For peace of mind and to satisfy your insurance company have a wett certified tech install the liner or chimney. We have been heating with wood for 5 + years and have our chimney checked at the start of each season.

The purpose of the insulation is to protect the interior walls from igniting in the event of a chimney fire. If the wett guy says that you should install a new chimney I would suggest that you heed his advice.

The whole idea of the liner in a masonry chimney is that the air space between them is the "insulation". You are not to fill the space with anything or the liner will/can overheat.

CH....you need 7 feet minimum floor to ceiling for most wood stove legal clearances...but there may be some model out there for you if you look around.

My "certified" installer... :D

julyf.jpg

Edited by irishfield

The whole idea of the liner in a masonry chimney is that the air space between them is the "insulation". You are not to fill the space with anything or the liner will/can overheat.

CH....you need 7 feet minimum floor to ceiling for most wood stove legal clearances...but there may be some model out there for you if you look around.

My "certified" installer... :D

julyf.jpg

OK THATS JUST HOT! a lady on a roof doing home/cottage repairs... man I gotta find me one of those!!

Gerritt.

Thanks, I have talked to several Wett installers and waiting to get a few quotes back. I need a Wett installer to do the install of the liner otherwise I will have to find a new insurance company and I don't want to go through the hastle.

The insulation will not overheat its there to protect the walls and brick from overheating. Apparently it is 100 percent neccesary if the inner lining of the chiminey is degraded(The clay tile inserts are crcked worn broken missing etc...

I have looked down and the tiles seem to be in good shape.

The hardest part of the job in our case will be removing the concrete thimbal and putting one back in place.

Its a bit hard to tell but is anyone in this thread Wett Certified and looking for a job?

The insulation will not overheat its there to protect the walls and brick from overheating

I was just going by what it says right in the Imperial installation manual..."do not fill the air space between the masonry and the liner with any material". Ours made it down inside of the old clay tile liner just barely. I put a 6" down ours.

I guess it may very well depend on the type of liner used.

http://hartshearth.com/chimney/flexreline_diagrams.htm

According to this website they recommend that everyliner used in a wood burning install should have insulation. But that may be for a masonry only install and not a clay tile install.

Eitherway I'll just let the Wett person decide.

Eitherway I'll just let the Wett person decide.

Sounds smart !

Just looked at the Imperial Stainless Steel liner install page, in case I was dreaming. It states in 5 places, on a single page, "Do not fill the air space between liner and masonry with insulation or any material" And this is based on the liner going down the sound block structure without the old clay liner in it.