Niagara Lower River.

LeXXington

Hey All:

Wanted to try and fish the Niagara river by Queenstone this weekend. But need some basic help.

I understand the drift with the 3 way. But just got a few questions.

What do you use for bait,

I presume we are fishing for what ever is in season focusing on Salmon and steelhead?

How far up from Queenstone do you go? My chart data goes to the Adam Beck plant. Is this too far.

Yeap I am a chicken but I play it safe :)

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

lex: You can get away with the drift right in front of the ramp, head towards devils hole but be careful dont go into devils hole and drift towards the launch, you will see the eddys and back currents try and stick close to that cast towards the drift towards the canadian shores, once your down there you will see what i am talking about. 3 way rig I use 4-5ft leader there more natural flow. Try using big shiners or chubs, streamers, skein, roe whatever you want. If you head out and go left about 1km or so you can try the drift there seems to be plenty of walleye around right now. Hopefully someone else can get you a little more info but I hope that helps. If you msg Tony im sure he can get you much better info Aaron and barry filmed a show there with him, some huge monsters come out of that river.

What Hellfish said is pretty accurate. We usually just drift the launch area with roe or shiners. I don't go to Devil's hole (no matter how many times Paul has begged me to :lol: ). Just not going to go there. The drift to the left of the launch is good also.

Make note that if you are going to fish the middle or other side, you need a US fishing licence (don't get caught without one).

Good luck Lex.

Joey

from a boat on the can side sand docks try the back drift next try the drift on the other side of the dock drift all the way down to the next point on the us side try the artpark drift then the stella drift as said in other posts 3way minnows ror streamers kwickfish just follow the other boats they all fish the same way if need more help send me a pm

and also, whatever you do, do NOT run your boat through the middle of the drift- either with the main motor or a trolling motor- to get to the beginning of the drift or to hold in place... shore anglers aswell as boaters hate that equally lol

Edited by phat bassturd

Give the same respect you get from some boaters. Many times, some boats figure out that the fish are schooled in a certain area of the drift and target that area of the drift exclusively on longer drifts. Some times, the rest of the drift is almost devoid of fish. It all depends on the circumstance and your own point of view of ettiquette. I have always tried to fish those "hot spots" in the drift while giving other boats respect at the same time. It isn't always easy when the river is busy, but I try to cut in where there is a big gap of boats close to the top of the hot spot. The busier it gets on a drift, the more difficlult it is to cut in and still have respect, so going to the top of a drift and drifting fishless water above the top of the hotspot may be the only option if you want to have ettiquette. On drifts like the Queenston backdrift that are really short, I always go to the top of the drift. My biggest pet peeve there, is people that drive their boat right up the middle of the drift that anglers are fishing. When you drive your boat over the fish, it puts them down for a while. If yake your boat to the far outside of the drift when you want to start a new drift, you will not tick everyone off ;)

As for bait in the fall, roe, roe and more roe lol. Salmon, brown and steelhead eggs all work, but I prefer brown or salmon eggs in the fall. Egg immitations can also work well, like Jensen Eggs, Exude eggs, UB Fishin eggs, yarn and corkies. All drifting on three-way rigs. As the winter sets in sometime in December, it is good to take more baits with you, like Kwikfish, streamers, pink worms, steelhead roe or skein etc. Just remember, the main baits are always emerald shiners (or immitations), salmonid eggs (or immitations), or pink worms.

I would not recommend fishing above the dams if you are new to the lower Niagara River. People have died fishing there with the strong currents. From Queenston down river has lots of fish and is relatively safe.

The fishing will not really pick up there until November, and really gets good later November.

Here is a link to a couple of Niagara steelhead shows we filmed, there is some good info for a someone new to the river:

Niagara River steelhead - Aaron & Barry

Niagara River steelhead with TonyB

Good steelheading!

Aaron

That is correct Lex. Some, not all, charters believe that since they have paying customers, they can do whatever. It does get nasty at times. Aaron, good post man. helps some of new drift fishermen understand what is right and what baits to use.

Thanks Aaron.. Actaully watched your Niagra River Steel before going. (almost required watching)

I agree above the bridge you have to watch all the time and be carefull. I would not go past the Power Station

Great tips from all.

Squid, I guess everyone needs to make a living :) saw 2 charters almost bump on the drift. For a newbie I rather got out of the way :)

is it unheard of to take a fiberglass boat out on the lower. Talking about early, or should i say, pre-ice chunk timeframe. lol. Ive never fished down there as ive always only seen aluminums, lund, starcraft, alumacraft, trackers, etc.........I would just love to get out and try it, ive been out on the bar a few times.......but never drifting the river for steelhead. Should i just get the idea out of my head lol

good thread! :) I'm glad you posted this because I'm thinking of taking my boyfriend to the lower niagara for a surprise anniversary weekend in december. These tips will be good, except neither of us have our own boat..

Does anyone know any good charters that aren't too expensive? I've had a few tips of good charters but most are over my price range (200ish - I'm a broke student. lol)

Are charters the only way to fish this area if you do not have a boat??

Edited by Lyra

is it unheard of to take a fiberglass boat out on the lower. Talking about early, or should i say, pre-ice chunk timeframe. lol. Ive never fished down there as ive always only seen aluminums, lund, starcraft, alumacraft, trackers, etc.........I would just love to get out and try it, ive been out on the bar a few times.......but never drifting the river for steelhead. Should i just get the idea out of my head lol

ice flows were not all that bad last year...only happened maybe 3 times during the winter for a day or 2 and of course the spring. But you are fine with a fibreglass for sure....come mid november the steelie action will be on fire....I float fish the shore and it can be crazy loaded with them. If you have room when you come down I would love to join ya if ya don't mind...up to you! Plu s when it gets really cold alot of guys don't like to go out...not this guy...I like it when its cold outside...nobody around!