A Few Fat Ones-FALL REPORT #1

darsky

Had the pleasure of spending the other day on the water looking for the Fall migrating smallies on the St Lawrence near Montreal. Every year as the water starts to cool they move in from the nearby rivers and begin to school. Everyone knows how competitive schooling smallies are. Well-they are beginning,but not in full force yet. We used tubes mostly and mixed it up with some on jerkbaits too. Close to 40 or so bass were had with most in the 1-2 lb range with about a half dz between 3 and 4 lbs. The big ones are not quite ready yet with the temps being between 65-67f. Hundred fish days are possible in these areas with many,many going between 4-6 lbs.Can't wait!!

With the afternoon major coming at 4pm we decided to drop a few rods down and troll for the other fish that counted that day. Zero boat traffic gave us the river to ourselves and we anticipated a bite. Not to be disappointed,the rod with the wire line started to zing 30 minutes in. I don't particularly like the fight on wire but this fish gave me a tussle making me think it was a good one. Got it to the boat and was surprised to see the lack of length on this fish. The width made up for that. This 40-42 inch fish must have gone close to 23 lbs. I have caught a few muskies like this recently all between 40-43 inches but built like tanks. I love fall fishing. A few pics to follow

CABMELJF.jpg

CALKSBHH.jpg

CASX6JC1.jpg