Fish in Lake Erie

BrianV

This weekend I am camping at Selkirk on Lake Erie, and am planning on doing some fishing on the lake while I am there, if I can find a good spot.

Are the fish from Erie safe to eat these days? Ideally, I would love to eat them if I can get them, but not if it will leave me with a belly full of heavy metals.

Ok, so Selkirk was a complete bust, fishing wise Nowhere to fish on the shoreline - it was mostly a flat rock table extending out into the water, only reaching knee-depth 50' from shore. From the satellite shots it appeared that there was a small bay / inlet in the park, when I walked there, it was mostly mud with a few pools with an inch or two of water.

And to think I have all kinds of new tackle I was getting excited about using! Oh well, it was still a fun trip with my siblings, despite the lack of fishing....

Edited by BrianV

Should of tried Port Maitland Pier for shore fishing. Very deep their and not many snags so you would be able to try all your lures. And the ebst thing of all you can catch any fish at all. I've caught cats, perch, small mouth, pike, sheephead, carp, silver bass, wlleye, and of course gobies.

Should of tried Port Maitland Pier for shore fishing. Very deep their and not many snags so you would be able to try all your lures. And the ebst thing of all you can catch any fish at all. I've caught cats, perch, small mouth, pike, sheephead, carp, silver bass, wlleye, and of course gobies.

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try next time I am in the Dunnville area!

Of course they are. I grew up on Lake Erie and have been eating fish as many as 5 times a week since I was 6 years old, and still do. The only downside is that it costs twice as much for haircuts for my sons due to the extra head each one was born with.

Great. You made me spill my coffee with that last line. :lol:

Hope you're proud!