Where to get Whitefish?

ccmtcanada

So, this wasn't an original goal for me this year, but with the surprise Muskie I got on the weekend, I was looking at the OFAH awards accepted species and I figured I have a shot at getting a qualifying fish in all the categories.

The 10 are....

Smallmouth Bass

Largemouth Bass

Northern Pike

Muskie

Walleye

Trout

Salmon

Panfish

Carp

Whitefish

The only ones I do not have are Walleye (which I'm hoping to get this fall) and Whitefish. My question is....where do you get Whitefish? I've heard of them from Lake Simcoe, but is there anywhere else? How hard is it to get a 22" one?

Thanks!

Sorry to tell you Cliff,Whitefish closed in Simcoe yesterday at midnight.They open again Jan.1,hope you can wait til then......TC and tight lines......

So what you're telling me is that Lake Simcoe is the only place to get them?? LOL.

Oh well...maybe next year! Does this mean I have to go icefishing??? ACK!!!

Lake Simcoe-closer and relatively easier to catch one-average size is probably 4-5 pounds and at least 22 inches. Ice fishing may be required.

Lake Nippising-further away and harder to target because several species can be caught from same area. Smaller average size than Simcoe. Ice fishing may be required.

Ya, the bays open, the last 2 years I was out in late November/December in the boat just before ice up and seen them splashing around rite at night for about 15 days straight like clock work but I tried everything imaginable and they won't bite anything, I guess they are spawning but I did accidentally snag one (that's how many come in) they were everywhere in 10 fow in a little gravel bottom/current area it looked like it was raining out on the water, I wish they would eat, other than that I've never caught any on the bay but never really tried but I'm sure you could find someone that knows to get you out for one.

If the damn things would bite I'd take you out and get some but they got some serious lock jaw when they come in to spawn.

Edited by GbayGiant