re the threads on all the salmon river fishing

aniceguy

Read it before it got locked down sad really as I cant post in it.

Its insanely hot right now the rivers are at thier lowest base flows since the early 90's. The fish are tired and beat up. Most of the fish so far are early run males because thats what comes in first, then some females. With no real rain to speak of you ll see trickles and small pushes that have the heck beaten out of them by every single guy floggin a marshmellow or a 10 foot lead in a 6 foot pool, in orther words they are harrassed and are not eating or even hitting out of agression.

Do the nooks eat when they are in the dark prespawn stage >>>>>>NO !!!!!!

Will they hit a streamer or such out of agression sometimes, will they eat a roe bag in those conditions nope and take that to the bank and we arent talking pier or estuary fishing here.

Now do the nooks eat in the rivers yup in the early runs before thier body shuts down and they arent harrassed by every body and thier brother ohh ya they most certainly will, but in the rivers off Lake Ontario at this moment in time I will tell you that they arent.

Generally what is done is someone is sitting either at the top of a pool or slightly down stream is drifitng and checking the float he/she floats down line drifts into the mouth and its a legitimate hook up....99.999999% of the time no it itsnt. If the hook is pointing outside of the mouth you more then likely just flossed a fishYES ITS A LEGAL FISH but lets talk some ethics here....

Now I know the pool fished at best its about the size of an above ground pool with pretty much no holding water for a kilometer up and down stream, hence why fish will sit in there....no where else to go.

Nate and jangles are young kids put have paid dues walking rivers and such and I ll tell you they know what the heck is up with it all and I ll bet with the weather the way it is they arent down there and Nate lives a short bike ride away...Why because they know better.......

For a guide to take a client into a small base flow river that is thermally stressed into a pool that is the only place a fish can sit in that system for kilometers up or downstream is actually a shame and not a good example of what a guided fishing trip is about sorry its not a slam but a plain straight out cold truth and Im sure that any responsible tackle manufacturer/supplier or angler would agree.

Simply put any guide that is putting a paying client onto an experience such as this is exlempfying a poor choice in conservation .

Its much better to potentially walk way up the system find water where some resident fish arent thermally stressed to the point of dying and let them catch fish that albeit much smaller but are legitimate, fair hooked fish that havent been harrassed in a small pool on a river that has little more then i ll bet 60 cubic feet of water flowing through it.

I have seen this happen in a lot of places where guides put clients on fish that the approach or method is questionable and personally a guide should be way above that

I agree bring on the steel!!!

SOrry bout the rant

Edited by aniceguy

This thread is going to get locked up quick, but ill add my 0.2 cents anyways.

When I was a little kid my dad took me salmon fishin in the river, and taught me exactly what NOT to do. I may go down to the river and catch 10 less salmon than someone else in a day, but thats for one simple reason. NO LINING OR SNAGGING. Now dont get me wrong, it happens accidentally because you have many big fish in a small area there is no way around it. Now that Im older and fish alone most of the time, I wont hit the rivers for salmon because there is just too many people snagging the fish.

Legally, if its hooked in the mouth the fish is fine. So what is there to rant about? Ya, it might be lined, but who can tell because I and many others have caught lots of legit salmon in the river.

Bring on late october browns and bows, drifting around the boots is never fun, but its well worth it when theres a chromer on your line!

Now that Im older and fish alone most of the time, I wont hit the rivers for salmon because there is just too many people snagging the fish.

X10

this is why I don't fish anymore in the rivers.

I just drives me NUTS!! and I would end up losing my cool.

Quite a rant Louis :D.

Do agree with everything you said except that the 'nooks won't gobble up a roe bag when they enter

a river. When they're unmolested and relatively fresh run they will.

I'll be fishing tomorrow, and most likely MUCH lower down than most of the flossers and liners and am more interested in the ho's anyway.

You know as well as I do they'll hit a roebag ;) .

iTS FUNNY,...iM NOT used to the lake O tribs and by no means a fan of the crowds,...it takes away fro the experience for me,..Im used to tranquil settings,..with next to noone around,.....its the times I choose to fish,..which usually distract most people,..1 day after a rain,..Nooks on the move,...cruisin,..swirl around a pool,..2 or 3 or 4 of them,...sanppin at each other,..thats when i send a drift,..wham,..slam,..no lining,..no flossing,,..no snagging,....pure Hit ,...and for all you guys that only ever fish Lake O tribs with the crowds and the fair weather,....and think you know it all,...I laugh,..and thats ok,...you know it alls like BJ are entertaining,....go walk a km or two or 3 through the thinck brush or water,..(cuz there are no paths) on a big trib where noone else is fishing,...and its so stained you cant see the fish except for waves here or there,...and catch a chrome NOOK or 2 or 10 that have only been in the river for 1-2 days,..then and only then can you realize what me and a select few do,..that pool at b'ville is a joke,..but to extroplate that to all tribs and all locations and all conditions,..Is retarded,...you Know it alls should give your head a shake and get out there and discover what its all about!!!!,....Bring on the Steelhead',...and til then,...Nookie nookie,...

PS,..theres lots of places with steelhead already way way up,...i woulda figured the know it alls might know this already!!!...LOL,....ever think we post a pic of a nook instead of a steelhead,...at this time of year,..theres a reason!!!!

wow quite the response there Milty......solo ya think I might have drifted some of these rivers before lots were even born lol.......Milty low baseflow rivers that have immense pressure differ from say the geen the notty maybe even the nine ( which is comparable to the Credit) maybe the sauble or even some of the smaller ( even smaller say then bowmanville.) rivers Many a day on the Notty where the nook bite was unreal 55 to 60 degree water unmolested fish chompin fresh bags like its going out of style heck where you dont even have to move off the tin house because the bite was wicked. Too bad the access to the minnising is closed off the road as some true bush wacking in there for some serious unmolested fish used to be had. Now that was bush wacking and timber tussling

But and here is the but.....low to mid gradient rivers with the angling pressure these urban streams recieve with darkend up pre spawn fish that are in thermally stressed water with minimal base flow differs from say a fresh fish out of the notty or in the graveyard anyone with common sense knows that and certainly can dicephier between the two scenerio's but thanks for the education...

Now I guess you missed the point that we are talking Lake O tribs and in specific bowmanville but hey who am I to argue with a consumate angler who has been there done that.....

louis Milo

Same old story every year..

The King of salmon gets relagated to the rank of "boot".

Every joker that can even tie a knot goes to the rivers to snag out a trophy.

I find it very sad that so many "Sportsmen" have no respect for the wild things.

Natives beleived the Salmon had souls & deserved utmost respect for the food they provided.

Now it's a circus on the tribs..

Time to go bass fishing for me, instead of seeing the rapes going on our rivers.

I just don't see why people want to catch fish that already look dead by the time you reel them in. Fishing for salmon at piers and mouths of rivers is ok as the fish usually have some colour and life to them still and haven't yet been beat up by the rocks and brush of the rivers and creeks . IMO once they hit the creek rivers and especially the creek-sized rivers, they should be left alone to do their thing. I know they will bite/attack spoons and other baits when they are entering the rivers but trying to get a near dead fish to EAT your lure in a pool the size of a hot tub and 3 feet deep is probably about as likely as having a carp randomly decide to chase and eat your spoon. I just don't understand why ppl enjoy the act of catching fish that look like they are rotten/decaying. It must just be for the overall size/weight of the fish to impress others. I mean, if you were to show a pic of a river/creek salmon to your uncle who doesn't fish or your grandmother they would probably think that you caught the fish of a lifetime. In reality, the fish is near death and most likely could be kicked onto shore and merely picked up. A few years ago I visited Bronte creek for the first time and was amazed at the literally hundreds of dead salmon along the creek that were in piles all over the place where people had clearly stood over small pools and snagged fish, slit the bellies, taken the eggs, and then threw them into piles 1 foot from shore in the water and as well scattered them all over the shore I guess that's fishing...

Its pretty clear BEATS that you have caught a salmon in the rivers. Yes in about 2-3 week from now you will see the dead salmon that did do there business, and or the ones that people killed by slitting open the bellies for fresh roe, male and female...What can I say people are stupid

Anyway this is getting boring, Like I said in the past if you dont like fishing for salmon then dont...

Fish for what ever you like, have fun and RESPECT other people..

ANICEGUY, lets get out sometime and do some backwater fishing, I am sure we both have great spots...

Dave

I love the small streams but stay away come September. Not only do the salmon bring out the worst people but they bring out the worst in people. We're like a bunch of damm bears only we're trying to make it look legal. Well it doesn't look that way and the fish aren't very edible. The truth of the matter is it's primarily poorly skilled anglers or egg hunters screwing these streams over.

I can see where this is coming from...but I can't see why it is so large of an issue for you. These are non-native fish....they have been put here for the simple reason of put and take. Now...I am not condoning snagging or any other illegal means of fishing...but, what gives? No Luck out there?? Dead or alive...these fish are doing nothing for what should be in our neck of the woods. Ever seen Brook or Lake trout spawn? I see no mention of the attacks on these NATIVE species! I don't think the majority of anglers are out to gut a fish for its eggs, although they are out there! If that was the case...our harbours would be full of carcases...which they aren't as opposed to the usual die offs and kills. Although I fish for pacific Salmon...they are by no means high priority on my fish wish list....and I don't think guides should be targeted for influencing customers to fish for migratory fish......much like myself, your license fees pay for the stocking of these intruders, which I, personally think should be eliminated! What good is an unsustainable fishery????? $$$$$$....yes...I guess only in the lake from your point of view??

Edited by fish_finder

What a joke. Most of the guys that are ranting started fishing these salmom not knowing any better. These fish do not even reproduce in the river. They do this based on instinct. Stress the fish!! it's gonna die!!! I agree with Wayne this is sheeet. If you don't like what was posted then PM the guy, keep it off of the board!!

Edited by Squid

Wasn't thier a simular topic last year with a bunch of these expierenced "steelheaders" that got into it with CC. I'm pretty sure the guy was banned from the site and somewhat embaressed infront of a couple of other guys. Come on you guys know better, this is a great site don't let someone's post get to you. You certainly don't want to be banned from this site. Keep it on the low and go fishing B)

Edited by xrap

Sites like this have many purposes and one of them is to educate anglers and that involves all gamits of fishing. A thread like this is not designed to result in a charecter debate and hopefully it doesnt.

What it should do is hopefully educate some folks on some of the contentious points within the topic.

Oh by the way Chinook reporduction on the north shore of Lake ontario is in the 30 - 40 percent these days, so while its dependent on stocking, ( more of a habitat access issue) a lot of those fish are naturalized to the system.

Threre lies part of the entire issue a lack of awareness and knowledge on it, and up front sorry if it offends but the truth of the matter is the chinook fishery contributes to 140 million dollar direct and indirect Lake Ontario fishery. The fish is naturalized at this point regardless of its origins its here to say. Many of the eastern tributaries and in fact a good portion of Lake Ontario tributaries never recieved any stocking but yet have runs of naturalized fish.

See like all angling tactics this is one that needs some education

Edited by aniceguy

Oh by the way Chinook reporduction ont he north shore of Lake ontario is in the 30 - 40 percent these days

what is your source? i understand *some* natural reproduction occurs but the actual percentage is more like 1%.