NF - Truck Advice

Dutch

Hi All.

Just wondering if there's some adivce out there for a seized emergency brake. Truck has only 32K on it and I haven't used the emergency brake since last summer. As soon as I stepped down on the pedal, I was cursing myself.

Before I spend a bunch on a tow and mechanic visit is there anything I can do to fix this myself and after fixing - to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dutch

Drive backwards if you are able to.......seriously. This used to happen to me on my '88 Ranger. If you drive in reverse, it causes the self adjuster to re-set the shoes and will quite often snap the cable back. I had to do that on several occasions........

My 2 cents worth anyway. Hope it helps....

Bill

Most systems use 3 cables-1 from the cab and then 2 from that cable to the wheels.None of these are cheap or that easy to fix-before you cut one make sure it is the RIGHT one.If the cab cable is seized just undo the link to the other two.

vance

make sure your truck is in park, release brake handle, crawl under truck and wiggle cables by hand, should g=loosen them up and try to figure which one is sticking, my expeirence with gm is that there cables are pretty darn good more likley the parking brake shoes that are binding, after wiggling cables, drive the truck back and forth and see if it pops loose

Drive backwards if you are able to.......seriously. This used to happen to me on my '88 Ranger. If you drive in reverse, it causes the self adjuster to re-set the shoes and will quite often snap the cable back. I had to do that on several occasions........

My 2 cents worth anyway. Hope it helps....

Bill

I second this. I only had to jar the break loose with a reverse of 6" or so. Its the easiest and fastest, it worked for me and after that I never had to worry about it again.

SStuntman

Thanks for all the advice.

After trying the suggestions here and a few others, getting it loose was a no go.

Called the dealership and to my surprise everything is covered by warranty, including the tow. So it's out being fixed.

Now if I could just do something about that $100 front and rear "brake cleaning" they suggested.....yes, it will help my brakes last longer apparently. Save it for the real idiots - I'm only in training.

If you're up and down dirt roads daily the brake cleaning will definately help especially if you have rear discs as your ABS sensors can get affected as well as the disc slides and pins loose their lubricant.Didn't realize how bad it can get till your looking at it on a hoist and you only got like 40 k on em and one of your discs is gouged cuz the calipers' all crudded up.

You also have to be careful with lubricant sprays on your E brakes as most are lined with a nylon liner instead of the old plastic covered wire liner around the cable.Maybe a silicone based lubricant rather than an oil or petroleum based is better.

Kerry