My First Weekend Hunting

Jen

This past weekend Steve and I took a couple of friends up North for duck/goose hunting. Since he and Brandon do this on a regular basis learning from them was going to be easy... nope , learning doesn't happen unless the Birds co operate, which of course they did not. (Although me not firing at them might have contributed to the freezer being empty at the end of the weekend... )

Here is my little picture story of how Duck/Goose hunting went ...

We arrived at my place late on Friday night, set up camp and then headed down to the lakefront to set our decoys. Brandon and Steve headed off in the 12 foot tinny in the dark while Sara and I stood on the makeshift dock holding flashlights listening to all the animals moving around us and laughing at the guys as they debated proper placement techniques.

Up at 5:30 am, grab a quick cup of coffee, and then off to sit and wait for the birds to come in. Sara opted to stay in bed for this little adventure and I forgot my camera sooo, the picture tale will start with the afternoon hunt.

First you get on your matching clothes... and drink your Timmies Coffee!

OpeningDuckHunting092207002.jpg

Then you chop wood to get ready for arriving back after dark! Thanks Brandon for all your hard work on that one!

OpeningDuckHunting092207003.jpg

Preparation of dinner - mmm it was good , thanks Steve.

OpeningDuckHunting092207004.jpg

Then we all sneak down to the waterfront to see if birds have landed in amoungst our decoys...

OpeningDuckHunting092207014.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207013.jpg

Dogs don't do well at sneaking, so Sara took care of that. ( Both Zoe and Dugan retrieved ducks this weekend...their patience was amazing)

OpeningDuckHunting092207012.jpg

Once establishing that the geese swimming with our decoys would have to come back, they were too far to shoot, Steve and Brandon made the trip to the island with all our gear.

OpeningDuckHunting092207017.jpg

Then it was Sara and I's turn , and what a laugh that was. None of us got wet but she did spend some time lounging in the boat.

OpeningDuckHunting092207018.jpg

All settled in to wait for the birds... don't we all look comfy!

OpeningDuckHunting092207030.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207035.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207020.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207023.jpg

The afternoon was long, and I learned many things... like not to point your gun while the geese are flying in and that if the birds are not co operating you will have a very long evening...

OpeningDuckHunting092207034.jpg

All and all the weekend was a huge learning experience. Not only did we hunt, we shot skeet and targets. By the end of the three days I would say both Sara and I had greatly improved when it came to aiming.

OpeningDuckHunting092207044.jpg

Altogether we managed to drop two ducks out of the sky, and I missed (or didn't shoot) at several more. Being my first time out hunting I was concentrating more on watching both Brandon and Steve to learn as much as I could about timing and lining up your targets... Hunting with that many people is rather difficult, specially for a beginner, as you don't know which bird to aim for. All of these skills will come in time. Thanks so much to the guys for putting up with both Sara and I ... although in saying that, one of these days, we may, with practice be good hunting partners.

Sunday came and the WMU we are in does not allow hunting, so Brandon and Steve headed out to fish Mountain Lake. I have owned that property for ten years and never managed to get a bass to bite. You can see them but they are just never interested in anything you throw at them. I know this because I have emptied my tackle box, as has Sonny and Easton trying to catch one of these guys... and Steve managed a couple... thank goodness Brandon snapped the pictures showing what he caught them on, or I am sure it would have remained a well kept secret.

OpeningDuckHunting092207038.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207042.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207040.jpg

OpeningDuckHunting092207043.jpg

It was an awesome weekend, thanks to a group of really wonderful people...

Maybe next time I will actually manage to shoot my gun at a bird! lol

Sorry for the long read, there was a lot to share.

Cheers,

Jen

(If anyone wants to buy 70acres with 1600 feet of lakefront, I have it for sale!:()

Enjoyed this one Jen. Great pics to help tell the story.

Plenty hunting here at home but I just can't bring myself to stop fishing to try it. Everyone turns to their guns for moose in the fall and that's usually when pike fishing turns on too and you have no one competing for the fish. Birds, hmmmm........... do ya really like the taste anyways???

Nice to see you guys had a "busy" weekend LOL...

Nice report too....

Steve what did you nail the smallies on?

Jen what did you nail??...... I dont see any pics with you holding fish, did you catch anything? other then a few Z'zzz hiding in the brush lol

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

Nice to see you guys had a "busy" weekend LOL...

Nice report too....

Steve what did you nail the smallies on?

Jen what did you nail??...... I dont see any pics with you holding fish, did you catch anything? other then a few Z'zzz hiding in the brush lol

Gerritt.

Gerritt they were all caught on a 8" Power Bait worm if you look at the top pic there is a shot of it in the fishes mouth ...fish in this lake are tough to catch but i did manage a few Slobs ...

Nice report Jen it looks more like you caught up on some sleep.Had the men cook for you .What a great read and nice photos. :thumbsup_anim: MTP

It may appear that there was sleeping involved in this hunting weekend , but that was not the case for me. Sara, who has really no interest in the sport found that catching up was worth while for her. I on the other hand never once took my eyes off the sky and water... you can't hunt for something while sleeping.

In regards to Gerritt's comments, I didn't catch anything while fishing. I decided to stay back at camp with Sara shooting skeet and targets rather than fish where I didn't think the fish were biting. (boy was I wrong :()

Great and interesting report Jen, thanks for sharing. So why can't you point your gun while the geese are flying in?

Joey

Supposedly Joey the geese are very smart and see it... However I am not really certain about this it did seem that everytime I moved my gun to early they flew off before landing.