big chute/balsam report

Rizzo

I fished both these locations recently with some pretty poor results...so this should be pretty brief (hence the combo report rather than a report for each!) Went to Big chute with Alvin and we pounded it hard for musky. On the water by 7 a.m. and we casted non-stop until 5 p.m. Didn't even stop to eat...only drank as we bombed from one location to the next (well, "bombed" might not be the best term for a 25 hp). There are some great looking spots, but it was certainly a tough day. I think between the 2 of us we caught maybe 4 or 5 incidental fish and didn't even have a musky siting. We came across one spot that looked even better than the rest...green weed, boulders, close to deep water...Alvin commented all this spot needed was wood...and what do you know, we float over a stump and we are not far off the channel! Alvin had been "walking" a manta back to the boat, but this bass slammed it as we came by that deadly combo of weed/rock/depth/wood. This was the only photo worthy fish of the day.

gallery_130_97_69889.jpg

A few days later we headed out to Balsam, again in search of the wily and elusive musky. If anyone remembers Saturday the 15th...that's when we were there. Freakin cold and super windy. It was about 13 degrees colder than the previous few days had been (they were quite pleasant and in the 20's). That day water temps dipped to below 65 degrees, after the past week I wouldn't be surprised if water was back near 70 again! Either way, I often seem to pick the worst days to go fishing (because I have no choice...dang work dictates when you can fish!). We only had a few hours (thank goodness). Besides the tough conditions, trolling motor was acting up, running only at full speed. Because of the waves, we decided to tuck into south bay and spend our few hours in this spot. With the cold front, we tried to slow our presentations down, but when the boat got into the wind...you were being blown across the bay at a ridiculous speed. We did tangle with a nice musky, that grabbed onto a big jig in about 18 feet of water. Fish was kind enough to release itself after about a 20 second tussle. I keep telling myself that was the best result because I was too cold to unhook it anyways. Had the ice fishing fingers going by that time. Managed an incidental smallie, as well as this pickerel that fought so poorly I literally didn't know I had it until it was at boatside. That has been the story of my musky season...pickerel, lots and lots of pickerel. And trust me, a 2 lb pickerel on 80lb powerpro feels like 1 strand of cabbage coming in.

gallery_130_97_10570.jpg

why don't you go Wall-ice fishin' and maybe you'll catch a Mucksie

you may be on to something. It truly has been a bizarre year, can't believe the number of pesky walleyes that have entered my boat. Here's a few more that have bit off more than they could chew. They seem to like the taste of the 9 inch suick. They are just lucky I don't like the taste of fish that much, all but one fish got released from my boat this year.

gallery_130_97_116143.jpg

gallery_130_97_38813.jpg

gallery_130_97_47373.jpg

Yes, it would seem that 2 out of every 3 weekends we have a brutal cold front move in and write off the bite. I will be heading to Balsam next Sunday and hoping for some decent weather. I have yet to even hook into a musky this year. How is living in Barrie working for you? It has been over a year now right?

I have been looking for that pickerel all over the place. He's been avoiding me like positive and negative. I have been trying to contact him, leaving voice mail, email on his blackberry. I even went to his house and knocked on the door ... Nothing is working. The next time you see him, tell him that Disco is looking for him. I have a few words for him. Pesky. Pesky is right. He owes me all the money I have spent trying to recently find him. Sorry about the Musky. Try switching to Pickerel rigs if the musky tackle are doing opposite. ;)

Guest Johnny Bass

I missed this one! Great report! I would rather have a few pickeral in the boat than a few musky(unless its a big one). The thing that sucks about Balsam is you have to release most pickeral you catch!!! The big Musky should be turning on soon!!

Guess what rizzo,Sat the 22nd wasn't much better on balsam for wind either.Brother in law was camping for the week,had a group of guys nearby that got 8 during the week including a 51 1/2 incher.They even had him out once and showed him what they were doing so he'd have a good idea.So we trolled and trolled and .......... It's gonna happen someday.

Oh yeah, we gave up at 7:00 pm and jigged outside of the park for the mandatory slot walleye so we could say it wasn't a total bust.16" splash!!

Kerry